Author Topic: B-25 skins  (Read 668 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
B-25 skins
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:59:34 PM »
Just curious if anyone was planning on doing  Navy skins. All the images i found said they were J's even though they had the glass nose. Some very beautiful planes.

Offline Bullethead

• Silver Member
      • http://people.delphiforums.com/jtweller
Re: B-25 skins
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 08:24:46 AM »
whiteman said:
Just curious if anyone was planning on doing  Navy skins.

The USMC also had some blue PBJs/B25s.  The USN/USMC received about 200 C/D models and 248 H models, so I'm sure somebody will do a skin for one or both of these someday.

All the images i found said they were J's even though they had the glass nose. Some very beautiful planes.

J skins of course can't be done at present because we don't have that plane in the game.  But I believe you've got a misconception going about the nose thing.

The J model had both solid and glass noses--the difference was noted by a dash number after the letter J.  AFAIK, most Js were built with glass noses because there were only a few dedicated strafer outfits compared to all the medium bomber outfits, including exports.

When the strafer units started getting Js, they were glass-nosed.  The first few they got, they converted themselves into strafer just like they'd done with the Cs and Ds, by installing guns inside the glass nose.  Sometimes they painted over the glass, too, but sometimes not.  After a while, however, the factory designed a solid metal strafer nose for the J, which is what you see in most photos.  This was originally provided to strafer units in the field as a mod kit.  The units would saw off the glass nose and bolt on the solid nose from the kit.  Finally, some Js appeared with the solid nose as factory equipment.