Author Topic: Powered Parachutes  (Read 386 times)

Offline SoulTakr

• Copper Member
Powered Parachutes
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:44:47 PM »
I'm a bit curious as to know how many Powered Parachute folks there are out here?  Reason for asking is that I am thinking about selling my Bike and purchasing one.  Wanted to know from folks how they like it, was the training helpful, what's better for a beginner Trike or leg launched?

Basically just looking to get into it seriously and wanted to here from some experienced folks and their views.  I spoke with a builder here in Texas and was very impressed with his professionalism.  Not trying to throw size around but this def. has to be taken into factor since I am trying to launch my fat butt off terra firma.  I am currently 6'4 298.  I actually lost a lil bit of weight :)  

Anyways, here is the link to what I am planning on purchasing, if done I will be getting the 500 sq ft canopy and the ROTAX 503 engine to get more thrust and ensure i will lift off.  Both were recommended to me by the owner of the business and he was more than happy to answer my questions.

http://airframesunlimited.com/usa1b/usa1b.htm

Thanks for reading :)
"Deeds Not Words"

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:00:45 PM »
SoulTakr, I'm a big guy like you (6'2". 205) and one thing you have to take into consideration is the weight to thrust ratio. I wanted to buy an  ultralight, but after looking at the data.....   no.

Even if the engine quits, gravity always works.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 11:06:57 PM »
Interesting. I did go to the home page and watched the videos.

I never liked flying parachutes because they don't look like "real" airplanes to me. I always wanted an ultralight like the AirBike ( I think that's the name, been a long time since I've read about em). They look like a standard highwing tail dragger.

A lot of people seem to like the flying chutes and I certainly would not want to rain on your parade because I didn't care for one. I can see the benefit of having a chute already open and ready for use though :aok

Mark
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline SoulTakr

• Copper Member
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 11:36:32 PM »
Originally posted by rpm
SoulTakr, I'm a big guy like you (6'2". 205) and one thing you have to take into consideration is the weight to thrust ratio. I wanted to buy an  ultralight, but after looking at the data.....   no.

Even if the engine quits, gravity always works.

Absolutley sir, that was my first question for me, and he explained for about 15 min how that 72" prob helps with the 503 enginel along with the bigger canopy.  Then he explained it was on his website as well.( i musta skipped that part at first :) )   Almost all the Ultralights I had been looking at take around a 180 lb pilot into consideration.  They need more advertising for big boys like us.  ( almost like a Big and Tall Aviation store :) )  Talked with the wife and she says, "Go Ahead" So, why not :aok
"Deeds Not Words"

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 11:54:28 PM »
See if you can find a place that does a PPC class.  When I lived in LA, there was a place in Apple Valley that did, for instance.  If you buy one, you'll want the experience of the class anyways.  And if you take the class and find out it's not for you, then you're only out $250 or so (that's what I remember from about 5-6 years ago, I'm sure it jumps around all over the country depending on what's offered).

They look neat, but be aware of some limitations:
1. They always go 30 mph through the air
2. You can really only fly them in dead calm, meaning early morning in some places.

I don't know how solid #2 is, but I've seen it asserted by a bunch of different people.  I'd be interested in a correction if someone here has personal experience.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 01:46:06 AM »
Originally posted by SoulTakr
Absolutley sir, that was my first question for me, and he explained for about 15 min how that 72" prob helps with the 503 enginel along with the bigger canopy.  Then he explained it was on his website as well.( i musta skipped that part at first :) )   Almost all the Ultralights I had been looking at take around a 180 lb pilot into consideration.  They need more advertising for big boys like us.  ( almost like a Big and Tall Aviation store :) )  Talked with the wife and she says, "Go Ahead" So, why not :aok
If you are going to go for it, do not go minimal. Get the biggest set-up you can. Even with a powered chute, you are going to hurl...not float, to the ground if the engine quits.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 08:03:42 AM »
RPM: Are you sure?  It's a parachute, and it's already deployed.  Seems like a pretty good failure mode.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 09:03:52 AM »
it says the sink rate is 9 feet per second.

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 09:07:37 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
RPM: Are you sure?  It's a parachute, and it's already deployed.  Seems like a pretty good failure mode.

With a sink rate of 540 fpm it may not achieve terminal velocity, but I doubt it would be a comfortable landing!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 09:17:29 AM »
it's not really a "parachute", it's more like a inflated wing, and i would guess if you had enough forward speed you could flare the landing, you would flare the landing even with the engine running.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 09:27:47 AM »
Like w/ normal parachute ops, sounds pretty reasonable.  I usually hold 500fpm descent in my P28A, but I manage to avoid losing teeth on touch down for the same reason, the flare.  :D

Offline SoulTakr

• Copper Member
"Deeds Not Words"

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 09:39:34 AM »
For some strange reason, I have an urge to go skydiving.................... .........

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 09:40:54 AM »
Originally posted by SoulTakr
Here's some videos about it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXTgqZ3A_I&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NZE8Ez-evE&mode=related&search=

enjoy :)

AUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHH!    Im at "WORK"!!!   CAN'T......USE......YOUTUBE!!!!!:mad:

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Powered Parachutes
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 10:22:47 AM »
Didn't watch the second one, but the first one shows an engine out descent and landing.  Looked pretty benign.