Author Topic: Dive Bombing Practice: How-To?  (Read 819 times)

Offline what'shisname?

• Zinc Member
Dive Bombing Practice: How-To?
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:12:13 AM »
I'm pretty good at dive bombing straight down from 12,000 feet with F6F and I hit my target, finish it off with rockets.

I'm not good at it with other planes.  

F6F I never practiced in the training area.  I just did it in live fire until I got good at it.  I think it is Mathman's article about it I read.

Does TA have aiming crosshair helps to use with dive bombing?  If so, how do I call up this feature.   Studka, F4U-1A, and A-20 is what I am interested in currently.

"BaldEagle" is aces with the Studka.

Thanx

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:15:30 AM »
As far as the F4U-1A, (and all the bubble-top Corsairs, for that matter) you generally want your target between the top of the cowl and the bottom of the gun sight. Exactly where depends on your speed, dive angle, and altitude of release.

Of course, if HTC would ever double the size of the F4U's sight, you could use the Mk.8 sight, which had 5mil hash lines below the outer ring just for that purpose...
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline what'shisname?

• Zinc Member
Dumb Question; Great Answer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:26:55 AM »
Thanks for the F4U response.

I went to training area yesterday and did not see the crosshair.  Just came back fron TA.  Guess I wasn't high enough to see the automatic crosshairs.

Stupid question does not need further replies, but thanx big time for the advice.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: Dive Bombing Practice: How-To?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:27:54 AM »
Originally posted by what'shisname?
I'm pretty good at dive bombing straight down from 12,000 feet with F6F and I hit my target, finish it off with rockets.

I'm not good at it with other planes.  

F6F I never practiced in the training area.  I just did it in live fire until I got good at it.  I think it is Mathman's article about it I read.

Does TA have aiming crosshair helps to use with dive bombing?  If so, how do I call up this feature.   Studka, F4U-1A, and A-20 is what I am interested in currently.

"BaldEagle" is aces with the Studka.

Thanx

Yes, the TA has a bombing site, I think you activate it by hitting the tab button after you select bombs.  Maybe it's alt-tab..
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:38:37 AM »
the auto bomb aiming is automaticly enabled when you go to the TA.

and why praise BaldEgle so much? are you one of his squadies?
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
Thank you what'shisname?

He might be referring to my 10 kill sortie one night in EW or my 28 kills without a death so far this camp across all arenas (including 2 air kills) in the Ju-87.

Ju-87's rule as dive bombers!
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 02:20:45 PM »
I have a good bombing tutorial...I will try to get it up on image shack and posted...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 03:05:49 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Thank you what'shisname?

He might be referring to my 10 kill sortie one night in EW or my 28 kills without a death so far this camp across all arenas (including 2 air kills) in the Ju-87.

Ju-87's rule as dive bombers!

:aok :aok  HELL YEAH! STUKA'S FTW

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »
Originally posted by MjTalon
:aok :aok  HELL YEAH! STUKA'S FTW

i beg to differ....

*look at diving lanc-stuka, bombing A stuka.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »
:huh  No I  beg to differ... stuka is way better bomber, sure the lanc carries more payload. But still it's the STUKA it has the 1800kg bomb and in number's can level anything on the game mate... and you don't have to do all of that calibrating   neither, just engage dive flaps, dive over, drop just below the crosshair and.... BOOM target destroyed. :eek:

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 06:08:35 PM »
titanic's point is Lancasters do the same thing in this game. :noid :noid :noid
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 07:46:45 PM »
I am wondering the same thing, but plane in choice is the Mustang (mainly D).
2sBlind

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 08:14:40 PM »
well last time i checked, not being a smart pants or anything, a pony will auger trying to dive bomb from 15k, so will a lancaster :p

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 07:12:56 AM »
Originally posted by MjTalon
well last time i checked, not being a smart pants or anything, a pony will auger trying to dive bomb from 15k, so will a lancaster :p
I have found the F6F my jabo of choice.  I usually start at 2k and wear out the GV's.  Start at 12-15k and I can put a hurt'n on a CV.

I think using Lancs to bomb GV's is the sissy way out.  I tried the Stuka last night and sure enough, it works.  Not a bad ride...  I still like my F6F though,  2 1k bombs and rockets means I can take out 2 tanks and a Flak each sortie.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 08:17:15 AM »
Originally posted by Scca
I have found the F6F my jabo of choice.  I usually start at 2k and wear out the GV's.  Start at 12-15k and I can put a hurt'n on a CV.

I think using Lancs to bomb GV's is the sissy way out.  I tried the Stuka last night and sure enough, it works.  Not a bad ride...  I still like my F6F though,  2 1k bombs and rockets means I can take out 2 tanks and a Flak each sortie.

yeah ill fly the hellcat when I'm fixing to knock down something down from the cv, but i love my stuka and fly it every chance i get :aok

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer