Author Topic: Best zombie guns?  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2007, 11:55:37 AM »
For me it would be one of the carbines since I have 30 round mags and about 2000 rounds of ball ammo. Plenty for the required head shots, controllable, light. I would use my 1911 as the standard backup, though I would prefer to have an XD45 with the 13 round magazine or even some double stack 9mm. Might have to run out and buy that XD this weekend -- just in case :)

I could outfit a nice party with adequate weapons and ammo.

A second carbine for somebody. A 357 (with 38s) for my wife. Another 357. A Garand for some big guy and I even have plenty of greek 30.06 in bandoleers on clips :) A couple of Enfields with about 1000 rounds of reliable Indian 303 from the 1930s and several thousand rounds of marginal ammo that would make life exciting if it came to that. about 400 rounds of 8mm for the Mauser. About 600 for the Mosins. Not exactly run and gun, but a better deal than most parties that are on the run from zombies have handy.

Of course, it would REALLY suck if they were the zombies from the Dawn of the Dead remake.

Charon

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2007, 12:19:36 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Also, raiders can fly a white flag as easy as good folks, so don't put too much stock in it.

Pirates used to carry a whole bunch of flags and who just haul up whichever one they needed at the time.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2007, 12:22:18 PM »
Well, what I meant was that stopping at safe range would give an opportunity to state your intent. It would make the armed and polite society maxim pretty accurate :D
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
If I'm running through a city of zombies... I'd guess any type of 556 or 762 assault rifle would work just fine. Now if I'm in a little post-apocalyptic survivor town with a fixed area to defend... 40mm bofors and mortars.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2007, 12:57:45 PM »
Originally posted by moot
Well, what I meant was that stopping at safe range would give an opportunity to state your intent. It would make the armed and polite society maxim pretty accurate :D
Just because you state your intent doesn't mean they won't shoot you.  If there's any chance that you could be a competitor for resources, or could come back as a raiding party in the future, there are folks who would kill you while you were a semi-known quantity.  Stay away from farms and towns, or if you must parley, do so with the expectation that things might go terribly wrong.  Also, be ready to bring something useful to the table.

That's all I'm saying.  

Awave of friendly, good intentioned refugees can kill a community by starvation just as easilly (if not easier) than a wave of flesh eating zombies.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2007, 12:59:50 PM »
Something to consider when setting up free-fire zones to repel zombies from fixed emplacements: Are you sure you know all of the sewers and plumbing that goes to or near your emplacement?  It doesn't matter how good your killzone around your fortress is if a zombie child can wriggle its way through a pipe underground and infect you from the inside.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »
Charon,

Not being familiar with this particular movie (or many other zombie flicks either for that matter) what did you mean by this?

"Of course, it would REALLY suck if they were the zombies from the Dawn of the Dead remake."
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 01:10:27 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2007, 01:08:50 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Charon,

Not being familiar with this particular movie (or many other zombie flicks either for thaqt matter) what did you mean by this?

"Of course, it would REALLY suck if they were the zombies from the Dawn of the Dead remake."

They are holywood Zombies Mav, they run really fast!

Me I would find a nice full size 73-91 blazer and head off to the woods with my guns, the main being my M1A. The Garand and Several .45s as my backups.

Zombies don't hang out on 4X4 trails right?:D

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 01:12:15 PM »
Mav,  they used your boat idea,  went to an island and got ate... just sayin...

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
Bummer, thanks. :(
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2007, 01:20:34 PM »
no problem, glad I could help ;) .   you need to watch all the movies, you wont last a week...

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2007, 01:27:12 PM »
Charon,

Not being familiar with this particular movie (or many other zombie flicks either for that matter) what did you mean by this?

As GTO said they could sprint and had quick reflexes. When combined with the big numbers was a really bad deal.:O

A great Zombie flick, btw.

Charon

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 01:29:03 PM »

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2007, 01:31:12 PM »
Yes Chairboy, I know and agree with that.  I'm saying that if such a thing as a harmless group of humans showed up, the best means of diplomacy would probably start like that.
There's no one rule of thumb that applies to all possible scenarios, but I think it's not negligible a bonus to have as many humans as you can running around baiting zombies.  Better them than you.
if you must parley, do so with the expectation that things might go terribly wrong. Also, be ready to bring something useful to the table.
Just what I meant.

Are there any other breeds of zombies besides the classic braindead zombies and the "rage" zombies in 28 Days Later?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 01:34:14 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Best zombie guns?
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 01:44:26 PM »
Moot,  the zombies in Land of the Dead are able to walk under water, run, use weapons (barely) but they do move faster