Author Topic: Best Way to Get Help  (Read 519 times)

Offline TwentyFo

• Silver Member
Best Way to Get Help
« on: September 27, 2007, 07:29:49 PM »
A lot of the time I find myself attempting to take bases with little help (when squaddies not on). I find myself yelling out on country channel for help. My question is, how do you guys get people to come help? Do you promise them vulches? Free healthcare? Lots of number guys defending the base?

:aok
XO ***THE LYNCHMOB***

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:50:54 PM »
Originally posted by TwentyFo
A lot of the time I find myself attempting to take bases with little help (when squaddies not on). I find myself yelling out on country channel for help. My question is, how do you guys get people to come help? Do you promise them vulches? Free healthcare? Lots of number guys defending the base?

Just keep askin'.

My squad always complains that I can get help when I ask for it, whereas they never seem to be able to get help when they need it.  
This is what I do.
Just keep asking, and it'll come.  
Keep it simple.  
What you need and where you need it.

exp: "Need eggs for town a24 11,6".  

Ya' might change the wording up slightly, but short and sweet I have found is the best.  I tend to use "Party in 11,6" or "Fun fight A24 11,6 bring eggs".

Most don't realise that it takes 10-20min to get help, as most players are in the air, in a fight, on a mission, etc.  You also have lot's of players login' off/on so what you typed 10min ago might not have been seen by the player just login' on.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 07:53:40 PM »
Best advice is to build a well thought out mission. Pay attention to ord/fuel load-outs...a Typhoon carrying 2 1,000 lb eggs doesn't need 100% fuel for a 2 sector to & from base capture. Participation will likely grow over time if your missions are successful.

And lastly, nothing turns me off more that a mission that's advertised in CAPS over and over again.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »
Also your reputation does influence the amount of help you will get enormously.

If people don't know you well, it will take some time. If you are a well know & respected player (takes a long time to become one), people will rush to your help.
If you are a noobish little general constantly screaming "HELP AXX" or "ALERT AXX" (when  only 1 con ib) or "EVERYBODY GO A25", you will get less help, and less qualified in particular.
If you are constantly cursing your own team ("You IdiXXX", "Knits just do not pork", "Help A34, you XXXX!", "Knits suck at teamplay") you might be outright ignored - at least by me ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 08:50:41 PM »
Originally posted by Max
Best advice is to build a well thought out mission. Pay attention to ord/fuel load-outs...a Typhoon carrying 2 1,000 lb eggs doesn't need 100% fuel for a 2 sector to & from base capture.

And lastly, nothing turns me off more that a mission that's advertised in CAPS over and over again.

HEYY!!!!..I resemble that remark..:rolleyes:

It is like lusche says,and max for that matter.run missions,get to know people,and they are more likely to come help..:aok

peace and PLenty.
                                       Kevin

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »
What Lusch said, plus a lot of people just don't CARE about taking bases....(over last year or so I've gotten into that mindset.) WHAT is notable about 15 guys slamming an un/lightly defended base and taking it? STOPPING said mission is notable, having dogfights notable.... Flying in Borg cube with 40 or your closest La7 friends...isn't. I get to fly/drive/gun about 90 minutes every night....Any sort of relatively even fight/battle makes that time worth while
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 01:52:46 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Also your reputation does influence the amount of help you will get enormously.

If people don't know you well, it will take some time. If you are a well know & respected player (takes a long time to become one), people will rush to your help.
If you are a noobish little general constantly screaming "HELP AXX" or "ALERT AXX" (when  only 1 con ib) or "EVERYBODY GO A25", you will get less help, and less qualified in particular.
If you are constantly cursing your own team ("You IdiXXX", "Knits just do not pork", "Help A34, you XXXX!", "Knits suck at teamplay") you might be outright ignored - at least by me ;)

there you have it :)

And one more thing. The past few weeks i have noticed that a few players have taken a goon or m3 to a base that is 100% up only to then say: "I have a goon at A22whatever... help me take the ack and buildings down!!!!."

Trust me... i wont go help you. :lol

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:07:33 AM »

Promise 40 Virgins to them, works for suicide bombers.

Best way i get people is just run a mission. If I am already there, then i type something like "losing cap on so and so base, need help.

I also have 2 allied squads, so it helps having people in different squads that may be on when u need a few extra men. Also the more u give help the more u get.

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 02:30:31 AM »
I just tell them... blahhh blahhh base is deacked, bring bombs for the VH...

I did this two times tonight in orange and by the time I got back to the base with lots of ammo for vulching, they had captured it.  :furious
"strafing"

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 07:36:42 AM »
#1, instead of doing it on your own, support someone else who has a plan. \
Pay close attention to what, how, and why he does what he does. In short, apprentice yourself to someone else for a while. Learn how to do it right.

#2 Plan on building that reputation for a couple of years. In the meantime anytime someone asks for help, be prepared to scrap what you were doing.

#3 Don't be a little general sitting there telling old vets what they need to do.
We've seen and done it all, and we really don't need to hear it.

#4 When you do eventually get a mission going or guys following you, don't micromanage. Layout basic goals, and how you want to accomplish them. Take off, put your plane in autopilot and LEAVE it there. There is nothing worse than trying to follow someone who's all over the sky.

#5 look into joining a squadron.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 09:20:35 AM »

Try asking before you start.  I am not going to auger in a middle of a fight to go help anyone.  So, stop complaining (not just you, all the clueless generals) about not getting help, no more yeling, no barking orders, and plan things in advance .  in case you guys don know, we are not sitting in the towers waiting for someone to ask us to go kill the church.   Your inability to plan is not my emergency, is it?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »
I constantly monitor country chat for people who need help.

If I am rtb, I am looking at the chat and the map to see where someone might need help and will up my next sortie accordingly.

I am always willing to up a goon with troops for a town if it is nearly down, or there are enough people heading that way that it will be down.

Here's when I get mad when I am trying to help.  One night last week there was a group hopping one base after the next and asking for goon drivers.  There were three of us who were helping.  So they are heading to the next base, I ended up launching with the main body of the strike force, the other goon was about 2 min in front of me with the de-acking party that launched, the third goon about 5 mins after me.  Of course the strike force could out run my goon so I wasn't too worried.  I get to the field, the other goon is landing in town, I orbit then land in town, we are both sitting there with town still 70% up.  Plenty of fighters around and we are calling "goons in town, someone come finish it off".  They were all too busy vulching, needless to say a few enemy fighters upped from the next base over swooped through town and killed us both.  

When things like that happen it puts me in a bad mood and makes me less likely to help random people.

Offline Rabies_II

• Zinc Member
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 10:46:17 AM »
I have answered numerous calls and been both rewarded and abandoned.
It strikes me that the request should be made prior to initiating an attack so that everyone has a good idea of what the resources will be as they go in. The solo strike followed by yell for help usually results in strung out responses that get defeated in the end due to lack of bringing all to bear in a short order of time. While mission planning is a good idea, I am far to green to plan one, yet would like to see at least more co-ordination prior to tackling an objective to give better chances of success. Huge numbers often do not bring success, rather hitting key targets quickly and with pre-arranged gv support or goon support. My 2c

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 10:53:30 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
#1, instead of doing it on your own, support someone else who has a plan.

I really think thats the most important point to consider if you are contemplating doing an offensive.

We have so many generals always crying "XXX can't organise" but in fact they can't even organise themselves.
10 guys attacking the enemy at 10 different locations, all crying for support, each *****in about not getting it...

;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Best Way to Get Help
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 11:04:26 AM »
The only times I regularily ask for help is if I'm alone defending a VB and it looks like I might get over-run.  Help is usually on the scene within minutes.

Once in a while if I'm dragging a con I might ask someone nearby to clear my six.  I've never had anyone say no to that request.

There have also been a couple of occasions where a VB was down, I took a M3 out to it to capture it and there was a GV on the field.  I've asked for help and again, it arrived promptly.

I guess your reputation probably makes a difference.  I'm more likely to help someone when I know that they know what they're doing than a noob who's likely to lead me to my death.  I'd guess that's true for many.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.