Author Topic: Advanced Gunnery an unideal angles  (Read 664 times)

Offline Apers

• Zinc Member
Advanced Gunnery an unideal angles
« on: September 30, 2007, 06:57:06 PM »
I was practicing my BnZ Gunnery in the offline arena, and I got to thinking; when the other guy sees you behind him, he knows you're coming after him, and since  your plan is obvious, he just gets out of the way.

being the sneaky bastard I am I began to toy around with other angles, high 12, diving in at high 9 and coming up at the low 8, ect.

My results weren't any worse than at the ideal angles, and I'm improving as well.

so far I learned this:

at high 12, you should open up on your target at twice the distance that your guns converge at, i.e. if your guns converge at 400, let rip at 800.

I'd really like to know if anyone else has experience with this.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:16:46 AM »
If your flying bombers the absolute worst sticks to fly against are the ones screaming down on top of you out of the sun. The ones coming in high from your 9 or 3 you can at least try and turn in to them and shorten their gun time with fast closure, hoping to get a snap shot in if they hang up for a second. One of the reasons I love the B26 is its nose guns and climb rate. And incoming to your 12 could get a nasty surprise.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Re: Advanced Gunnery an unideal angles
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 09:27:02 AM »
Originally posted by Apers
when the other guy sees you behind him, he knows you're coming after him, and since  your plan is obvious, he just gets out of the way.

i never plan to get out the way of a BnZ attack, i always plan to bait the attacker in then shoot him before he can get out of reach again.
i never even consider avoidance as an option, i find it far more likely that i will shoot down a BnZ'er than someone who meets me co-alt or lower. The only time when it is just evasive is when im already engaged with a turn fight and have no time to set the BnZer up.

not sure if this is worth mentioning but your sentance quoted above made me think to say something, sorry if its a hijack.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 09:29:35 AM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 09:29:40 AM »
I like to set my guns at 425-475 and shoot at 200. This way their wings fall off and I use less rounds to kill them.

Offline Apers

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Advanced Gunnery an unideal angles
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 06:51:56 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
i never plan to get out the way of a BnZ attack, i always plan to bait the attacker in then shoot him before he can get out of reach again.
i never even consider avoidance as an option, i find it far more likely that i will shoot down a BnZ'er than someone who meets me co-alt or lower. The only time when it is just evasive is when im already engaged with a turn fight and have no time to set the BnZer up.

not sure if this is worth mentioning but your sentance quoted above made me think to say something, sorry if its a hijack.

It's not a hijack if it's on-topic. You contributed some valuable info to the thread.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:24:24 PM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
I like to set my guns at 425-475 and shoot at 200. This way their wings fall off and I use less rounds to kill them.

How's that work?  You split the damage between two different parts of the aircraft.  Set your convergence close, fire at convergence, and you'll get results...even from a snap shot because all the hits are concentrated on one part of the airplane.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 03:19:33 PM »
Take a look at Humbles post called....the force is strong in this one.
You'll see what B@tfink is talking about. You may also notice that it is him in the film. Good stuff to learn from there.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME