Author Topic: Game Slowdown  (Read 954 times)

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
Game Slowdown
« on: February 11, 2000, 10:47:00 AM »
celeron 433 oc'd 488, 128 pc100ram, aopen ax6b mb, 16 meg 3dfx voodoo3 3000, usrx 28,8 internal modem.
     After about an hour of play the frame rate will drop dramatically, from 45 to about 10 or 12. Sometimes I'll hear a small pop right before and the hd will spin some.  It will often go back to normal in a few minutes.  I thought it might be a heat sensor on the mb going off but I have 2 fans in the case plus the cpu and video fan. The exaust fan is always blowing cool, even after many hours of running.  
     It could be the hd spinning up, but there's no reason for it to spin up, it usually doesnt spin at all.  
     Some of the other guys in my squad have the same problem, one has to reboot when it occurs, so it seems to be something with the game.....any ideas?

CRASH

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
Game Slowdown
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2000, 11:10:00 AM »
See what's running besides the game, like fastfind(disable it), anti-virus, ICQ, etc.
Most of the time it's fastfind....

Thorns_Musketeer
CO Musketeer Escadrille

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
Game Slowdown
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2000, 11:11:00 AM »
Anything from MS Office in your autostart folder or anything in the scheduler?

Az

------------------
Azrael

Erprobungsgruppe 177

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Game Slowdown
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2000, 11:15:00 AM »
Yup. the next time this happens no matter what you're doing do a [CTRL] [ALT} [DEL] JUST ONCE and note what you see running.
 All I ever have running before I start Aces High is Windows Explorer. I even shut down systray before flying.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 02-11-2000).]

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Game Slowdown
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2000, 11:46:00 AM »
Last night when I logged on my FPS was fur scheisse.  I began to RANT about how the new downlaod had brought my FPS to a stand still (I got Superfly in a HO in a Nik, shot him down with a 12FPS, to say the least, I was amazed.)

I did everything that everyone suggested, including changing video mode, V-Sync, Etc.. Etc..

I disconnected from the internet and re-connected, and I got my FPS Back?

I know that them/that prettythanghole(s) is out there wreaking havoc at E-Bay and Yahoo, perhaps that is causing the problems.  I was good the rest of the evening 30+.

------------------
Lincoln "Downtown" Brown.
 lkbrown1@tir.com
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
Game Slowdown
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2000, 12:16:00 PM »
I disable fast find and I remove everything from the start up routine (msconfig) that wants to start automatically.  Nothing loads up on start up that isn't required for the machine to run, I run it very clean.  Only explorer, systray and fastfind start up and I usually disable fast find before I start playing.  I've never noticed any difference between letting fast find run or not, I still get the slowdown after about an hour or so anyway.  What's weird is it goes away afer a few minutes and then may come back awhile later.  
     I've hit ctl-alt-del to see if I could catch it, but it doesnt show up.  Someone mentioned something about a memory leak, but I dont understand that toejam or how it might effect the game.....well actually I do a little, but I cant imagine it would go away and come back without a reboot.

CRASH

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Game Slowdown
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2000, 12:29:00 PM »
Oops, wrong thread!

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Rip1~Warbirds~)

"In training, upon being told it was time to
solo, the instructor said, “You tried to kill
me enough times, now try it with a check pilot.”"

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 02-11-2000).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Game Slowdown
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2000, 12:34:00 PM »
 Crash, stop FastFind from even starting up at all. It's not needed. It is a clunky pig sucker of resources. Go to Start, settings, select control panel, choose FINDFAST, double click to open. check for options on how to disable FAST FIND and then delete all your indexes.
 Also. Do you let windows manage you virtual memory or do you preset it?
 I've always been told by the experts in all sims that the better way of for you to do so and set the swap file (virtual memory file) for three times your system ram. I have 192 at home so my virtual memory setting is 572.
 And always scandisk and defrag once a week! If your HDD is getting fragmented the virtual memory being written to it all over the place could be a reason your HDD is lighting up alot...

-Westy

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
Game Slowdown
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »
     Cant I just use the msconfig and uncheck the start up box for fast find?  Thats usually how I stop stuff from loading.  
     I have 128megs and I set the virtual memory to like 600megs I think.  I've got a 13gig drive so I dont mind the extra.  Also set up as a network server. All that stuff we did in AW to get the most out of it.  Hd's clean, run scandisk and defrag once a week.  
     But I think we're getting away from the point.  The game slows down after awhile for some people and then returns to normal or requires a reboot.  I think it's a game issue, not my computer, because I'm not the only one having trouble with it.
CRASH

Originally posted by Westy:
Crash, stop FastFind from even starting up at all. It's not needed. It is a clunky pig sucker of resources. Go to Start, settings, select control panel, choose FINDFAST, double click to open. check for options on how to disable FAST FIND and then delete all your indexes.
 Also. Do you let windows manage you virtual memory or do you preset it?
 I've always been told by the experts in all sims that the better way of for you to do so and set the swap file (virtual memory file) for three times your system ram. I have 192 at home so my virtual memory setting is 572.
 And always scandisk and defrag once a week! If your HDD is getting fragmented the virtual memory being written to it all over the place could be a reason your HDD is lighting up alot...

-Westy

Stalker1

Game Slowdown
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2000, 01:55:00 PM »
Hail all
Got this from a friend after complaining
about framerate loss.
Seem to make a differance along with what
others said about removing unnessary things
from startup.
CacheMan 3.8
 http://www.outertech.com/english/index.html

Theres a setting for 3D gaming.

[This message has been edited by Stalker1 (edited 02-11-2000).]

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
Game Slowdown
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2000, 03:20:00 PM »
Hey Crash i get that sometimes A400 16mgRivaTnt CL Awe64 128 ram.I hear a low soundcard click and HD microspins fps drops especially if i fire guns, but it dosen't happen all the time tho.Think it's soundcard.
Tis a pest

Axeman

Game Slowdown
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2000, 03:28:00 PM »
Hmm...Same problem here....I also was thinking soundcard...Going to buy the SB live next week...will report findings on New post..Good Luck

Offline Wrek

• Nickel Member
Game Slowdown
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2000, 03:46:00 PM »
It sounds like Fast Find. Check Fast Find and see if it's set to go off after so many hours of system use.
Wrek

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Game Slowdown
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2000, 04:37:00 PM »
Fast Find is quite useless, all it does is allow you to find Office documents a bit quicker.  Find Files works good enough for me.  I never install it when I put office on a machine.  Use msconfig to stop it from loading, or break out the Office CD and un-install that component.

FYI, I think you guys are using too large of a swap file.  I used to use 2xRAM+70 when we had tiny amounts of RAM, but now that we have larger amounts, 2x RAM is plenty.  Even with 128 meg, 250 or 300 should be a large enough swap file.  You don't want it to be too big, because then Windows has more work to do to keep track of that file.  The main performance enhancement is to set the min and max size of the swap file to the same size, so that Windows does not "grow" the file dynamically slowing you down and also fragmenting the swap file.  If you change the size of the file, I recommend you defrag the drive, boot DOS, delete your swapfile, and reboot.  That should clean it up reasonably well.

BTW, I'm an MCSE, so I'm supposed to know what I'm talking about.  

------------------
Lephturn
The Flying Pigs

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Game Slowdown
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2000, 02:50:00 AM »
It has happened to me once.  I consider it pretty much none existant for a problem, but it did happen that once.  

I run a clean system(Win98 essentials and thats it), 128mb ram and 350mb virtual fixed memory.

I had to reboot afterword, to get game to run right.  

The effect reminded me of the Falcon 4.0 memory leak.  

Mino