Author Topic: the map joke is getting old  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
the map joke is getting old
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 11:03:34 PM »
Originally posted by kamilyun
Nice info.  Less brown, more green, more yellow.

You keeping one for Oct?  :)

:D

Sorry no, that was a one time only thing. There were so many complaints about "always the same map in every arena, maps never change" and so on, that I was just curious about getting some hard data.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 11:04:55 PM »
If folks spent more time playing the aces part of the game and less playing the capture the flag part....there would be fewer complaints about maps.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 05:23:54 AM »
Lusche Normally I agree with most of what you say, but not this time.

Mindanao is just as imbalanced if not more so than the other maps.

Mindanao is in serious need of a GV workover so that each country can lose a field or 2 and not totally shut down their GV action. Currently if either the south or NE country loses a base or 2 there is no GV action to be had ANYWHERE on the map.  GV spawns and V fields need to be totally reworked.

I have NEVER EVER since it was put into action ever seen the west country reset. South country almost always looses. NE has lost only half as many as south.

So, would I like to see our team of CM mapmakers redo it, make it closer to fair, with a lot more GV spawns, sure.

Bring it back the way it is, no thanks. I'll watch tv first.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 06:18:41 AM »
Montis is by far my favorite map, but for some reason people rush to reset it. :(

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 06:55:08 AM »
Originally posted by Husky01
Mabey HTC will take a look at it and realize how often we see some maps and the times were 3/4 arenas are the same map.

Sorry guys,  I just don't think they care.  Their attitude seems to be that only a minority of players who play the game also post on the forums. Silence is acceptance from the rest.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 07:36:24 AM »
How fast a terrain is reset is directly linked to how the front lines are established at the start of the map. And if 3 countries fight 3 countries.

SFMA(Uterus) and Baltic are "funnelled" fronts. The front line fights are directed by the layout of the maps from the start of the maps. The lines are drawn and it takes a long time to reset these maps.

My maps, SmPizza, Mid-Mesa and Montis do not have front lines that are well defined. All countries have direct access to all countries. So you can attack deep into Knights and then from that base attack deep into say Rook territory. So, they reset faster. Defense and strategic planning are the keys to my maps. Skip either one and a country will overrun you quickly.

The extreme example of "funnelled" fronts is my large map Compello. Because the fights were so strictly funnelled I don't think it was ever reset. Or, if it was it may have been when the base capture order system was tested.

Their is one other thing that affects how quickly a map is reset. That's the 2 countries vs 1 mentality. When that happens, it's a see-saw effect (the 90-40-40 syndrome is what I call it) and the map takes forever to reset. Neither the terrain or HTC can do anything about this.

Personally I'd love to see the large maps back in rotation, in their original form without a base capture order. But if you think maps get stale now, you'd all be crying for a manual reset with the large maps just like it used to be when they were online.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 08:01:14 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 08:37:55 AM »
Three maps that never bored me were:
Donut
Trinity
Pizza 1

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 09:22:06 AM »
Never mind. I just got though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 09:27:50 AM by BBBB »

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 09:57:03 AM »
NHAWKS maps are great and yes i do like to furball but i also like to play with gvs bomb and pork and find different ways to capture bases.

Yes a furbal is good but not everyone wants the same thing.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
If folks spent more time playing the aces part of the game and less playing the capture the flag part....there would be fewer complaints about maps.

NoBaddy, Furballing is ok but don't you think that the cooperative and coordinated effort required to capture a base is fun as well? Attack and defend! Personally I like to blow stuff up (only in the virtual world of aces high of course), and furball or GV as a diversion.

MINDINAO YES!!!

My take on the maps is that somebody must be asleep at the wheel because it seems bizarre to have the same tired old 3 or 4 maps over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... point made.
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 11:40:25 AM »
Originally posted by MajIssue
NoBaddy, Furballing is ok but don't you think that the cooperative and coordinated effort required to capture a base is fun as well? Attack and defend! Personally I like to blow stuff up (only in the virtual world of aces high of course), and furball or GV as a diversion.

Actually, I really don't care about coordination and I'm not a 'furballer'. What I care about is 'the fight'. Waaaay too many have focused on the 'capture the flag ' stuff, at the expense of ANY fighting. For me, the maps are just there to fight on. For me, if you are worrying about the map...you are missing 90% of the game.

GV's got boring for me years ago. Crawl around the map, dodge this tree and that bush (oops, watch out for those uber sheep!!!). You get where you are going and maybe there will be a person to fight with. More likely, you spend your time shooting ack and buildings (the challenge really isn't there for me). Then some guy flies by and shoves a 500 lber in your ear and you rinse and repeat. Heck, I came up with the TankTown idea years ago because GVing was pretty much all of the above....BORING. (I know HT really doesn't like it...but on Trinity, it worked.)

As for cooperative and coordinated efforts, these generally consist of out numbering the enemy in a ridiculous fashion (not a lot of excitement there).

The real problem isn't maps (notice how I get back on topic :D). It is the fact that large numbers of people have joined this game in the last few years that are unwilling or unable to learn to play the entire game. So, they focus on what is easy....capture the flag. Prior to this becoming the focus of the game, the only thing that really mattered on maps was field distance. Hence, there really wasn't a need for lots of different maps.

Look, I manage and coordinate 8 other people everyday at work. Generally, I can do without it in my entertainment. :)

Oh...btw, Mindanao is the MOST imbalanced map ever created.
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »
^ Yep. He's pretty sharp for some senile old fart.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2007, 12:07:17 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
^ Yep. He's pretty sharp for some senile old fart.

Hub...

I will have you know I'm NOT a senile old fart......................... ...............

??? Wait a minute...what were we talking about????? Anyone seen my Depends??? :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2007, 12:33:51 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Actually, I really don't care about coordination and I'm not a 'furballer'. What I care about is 'the fight'. Waaaay too many have focused on the 'capture the flag ' stuff, at the expense of ANY fighting. For me, the maps are just there to fight on. For me, if you are worrying about the map...you are missing 90% of the game.

Of course we want to fight but there actually is more to the game than just the fight.  

I like to GV.  There are some good battles to be had and base defense is often quite fun.  Other than tank-town, NDIsles doesn't allow for much GV action, nor does Beta once the mountain bases are all taken.  I also like to kill GV's on attack.  Where there are no GV's there are no attack kill missions.

I like to take high alt buff runs.  If someone wants to come after me all the better.  On Beta you don't have enough room on the map to get Lancs over 20K.

OK, I don't care much about CV's but for those who do there are none on Beta or Mid-Mesa.

I can go on and on.  The ideal maps are those that were thought out well enough to allow for all aspects of the game to be played in all player styles.  These maps allow for plenty of fighting.  It's just not all air-to-air.

The real problem isn't maps (notice how I get back on topic :D). It is the fact that large numbers of people have joined this game in the last few years that are unwilling or unable to learn to play the entire game. So, they focus on what is easy....capture the flag. Prior to this becoming the focus of the game, the only thing that really mattered on maps was field distance. Hence, there really wasn't a need for lots of different maps.

NB, I can say this to you because you know I'm always willing to fight but you seem to continue to say that air-to-air combat is the only way to play the game.  It seems to me you are the one missing out on 90% of the game.

[EDIT]  BTW, Mindinao was fun.  Who cares if it's unbalanced.  I'll take the south or northeast and still have fun with it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 12:35:58 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2007, 01:00:44 PM »
Baldy...

Yes, you are a good egg (eagle...egg...get it? :D).

I have NEVER said that air-to-air was the only way to play the game. I have always said combat is the main focus of the game (and it's why it exists). My point is, if people learn to play the ENTIRE game (and not just the capture the flag stuff), they will find that what map is up is less of a concern.

What amazes me is that people can continually do the capture monkey stuff for months or years and not get bored with it. In 17+ years of doing this stuff, I can honestly say that I have never had 2 air to air fights that are the same. I can't say that about the capture stuff, especially when it gets 'organized'.

Of course, in this game (and its predecessors ), people played for years on a few maps and never complained. We start getting some new maps and it's never enough. This is the most spoiled gaming community I have ever been a part of. Lots of people here seem to only be happy when they are complaining about something.
NoBaddy (NB)