Author Topic: Creating new maps  (Read 385 times)

Offline mna78

• Zinc Member
Creating new maps
« on: October 05, 2007, 06:54:12 AM »
From all the posts about new maps, I am interested how long does it take on average to create a map (for MA use) in Terrain Editor?

I have had a look at the Terrain Editor tool and am will to spend some time learning the software to start map bulding, but would like to know approx. how much time is involved...
Inflight name history:
mna78 > Mark > DMark > MarkV > [2 year break]Mark

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Creating new maps
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 08:58:32 AM »
The amount of time it takes to build a usable MA terrain is directly related to how proficient you are with all of the tools available, whether you've done one in the past or not and how long you work on it per day.

The time it takes me to do an MA terrain is probably longer than someone at HTC, but much shorter than someone like say Ghastly (no offense meant).

In other words...nobody can say how long it takes.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
Creating new maps
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 09:10:23 AM »
None taken!

In addition to learning all the tools at the same time (including graphical tools like GIMP) I'm also trying to do a few things that I haven't seen done in the current maps, which has added considerable time to the process.  Laying out rivers has been especially time consuming, especially since each and every grid cell junction about has to be massaged by hand.

Not to mention, I've done a lot of it on the train on my laptop, which means that for every hour I work, I get 20 minutes of "real" work done (were I doing it on the desktop with a real mouse and something larger than a 8 inch screen).  So with all that in mind, I've spent what would take me about 40 or so hours to redo now that I know how to use the tools

And I still have a couple of things left to do before I submit.  

Guy
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Creating new maps
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »
I don't want to hijack this thread to much so let's not discuss it in length...

I've avoided using rivers because the deltas don't work properly. Until there's an approved fix for that I'd still avoid them. Plus a river needs to be at 0 alt. No river runs it's entire length at sea level.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline mna78

• Zinc Member
Creating new maps
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 09:55:48 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

I understand that like anything the more you do the quicker you'll become at making maps.  Just wanted a general indication for someone creating a new map with no previous experiance (although quick @ learning software), from Ghastly's response I guess its c.50-60hrs

As I say just wanted a rough estimate, couple of days work, 2 weeks worth  ;)  or 1,000 man hours...
Inflight name history:
mna78 > Mark > DMark > MarkV > [2 year break]Mark