Author Topic: Flying Goons  (Read 486 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Flying Goons
« on: October 05, 2007, 02:49:51 PM »
Sometimes I like to take a break from flying warplanes and instead man gun positions, or, fly goons in support. Dont ask me why but I actually enjoy flying those pathetic goons.

My question is how do I support my teammates best with them? Should I wait until a call for supplies is issued or is there some way I could find out in advance if they are needed? I assume vehicle supplies are needed for vehicle bases, airbase supplies for airbases, and troops to capture a base. Which leads me to my next question. How can I find somthing that shows me where the map rooms are located at bases?

Also, do goons show up in red that an enemy can see? Again Im assuming the best way to avoid detection is to take them low and use their camouflage...correct? Thank you.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Flying Goons
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »
Both airfields & vehicle bases use the same kind of supplies: "Airfield Supplies". They shorten the downtime of destroyed ordonance, ack guns, radar, fuel & troops. They don't have any influence on hangars.
To check if a field is in need of supplies, shift-rightclick the base on map.

Vehicle supplies are for GVs only.

The maproom is indicated as a yellow dot on the map. Also you can rightclick on map, and select "clipboard maps". There you can see the layout of bases, including maprooms. Airfield's maprooms are in the town nearby, a port's or a VField's maproom is right on base.

And yes, goons have the same icon like any other plane, so keep 'em low. Really low, hug the trees. Also it's usually a good idea not to fly the direct path between your and your enemies base. But be advised, some experienced players are actually quite good ad guessing where a incoming goon might circle ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Trog

• Nickel Member
Flying Goons
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »
Rich as far as the maprooms and other landmarks go, go  to trainers website and print out the airfileds, ports, and Vh's. Great reference you can have at your desk to look at. Then up a jeep at each friendly field ie vh, airfield and go to town and at a port and drive around locating each maproom ( in town by the tank and vh's soutwest corner). It does not take too long to do. Make a mental image of where everything is, study your maps and wholla you know where all the maprooms , buildings and structures are.
Trog
71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Flying Goons
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 03:36:53 PM »

I get goons up to 15K in the biggest furball...it is fun dogfighting fighters at high alt.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Flying Goons
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 03:42:01 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
My question is how do I support my teammates best with them? Should I wait until a call for supplies is issued or is there some way I could find out in advance if they are needed?

Since the rest were already answered I'll answer this one.

If you see that a field has just been captured, right click on the field then left click field status.  If it shows things are down then fly a goon in with field supplies.

Watch the text buffer for people asking for troops at a particular field.

Join a mission that includes goons.

Watch for missions taking off or enemy bases under heavy attack and ask over country channel if they need troops.

Pop into a V base tower, see if a battle is going on and, if so, go get a goon and bring in GV supplies (but be careful not to drop them where the enemy can get them).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Flying Goons
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 03:32:17 PM »
Thanks for all the replies fellas. As far as map rooms go, and mind you printing these maps out were the first things I did when I joined, there is no map room on the maps at airbases. Do you even drop troops at airbases or just at thir towns when the buildings are down?

And vehicles supplies?? Would that be only ammo for  GVs? Or is fuel also delivered? When guys call for supplies at vehicle bases are they calling for vehicle supplies or airfield supplies?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Flying Goons
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
Thanks for all the replies fellas. As far as map rooms go, and mind you printing these maps out were the first things I did when I joined, there is no map room on the maps at airbases. Do you even drop troops at airbases or just at thir towns when the buildings are down?

And vehicles supplies?? Would that be only ammo for  GVs? Or is fuel also delivered? When guys call for supplies at vehicle bases are they calling for vehicle supplies or airfield supplies?

#1: Just when the town is down.

#2: It repairs any damage done to the Tank, including Ammo. Fuel does not matter in Tanks, Tanks basically have unlimited fuel.

#3: They are usually calling for vehicle supplies. You will hear "Need supps at ##'s Spawn" etc etc...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Flying Goons
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 04:05:16 PM »
Yep, a tank with a lost turret, dead engine, tracked, etc. becomes totally repaired and re-armed with 1 load of supplies.

A tank that's rolled over on it's top rights itself with a load of supplies.

They are the magic elixer for GV's.

[EDIT]  I guess I could have mentioned that you don't score for dropping GV supplies unless a GVer uses them while you're still in flight.  Then you'll score incrementally for each load used, but, since they only last fifteen minutes from the time they are dropped (they disappear after 15 minutes) you don't have to stay up that long to get whatever score you're going to get out of them.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 04:23:53 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Flying Goons
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 05:34:25 PM »
I fly goons in F3. You can get real low when you get used to it.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"