Author Topic: Roll rate vs Turn radius  (Read 3321 times)

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« on: October 10, 2007, 07:12:02 AM »
I have a question for one of you ACM experts.

I was reading one of the airplane discriptions on Soda's website (still a great resource even if it hasn't been updated in a while) and he stated this one airplane had a roll rate as good as any in the game.  That got me thinking about the difference between roll rate and just level turning.

Some airplanes are known as good turn fighters.  Zeros, Hurris, etc.  He implied however that there is a difference between fighting in an airplane that is a good turn fighter and one with a good roll rate.  How do you use an airplane's superior roll rate in a fight if you aren't just getting into a wagon wheel type fight?

thanks
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:54:41 AM »
If you have superior roll rate than your enemy then you can change directions alot quicker. So, if your in a scissors maneuver and you're in a 190 and your enemy is in a spit 1, then you have a major roll rate advantage. You can roll over, head the other direction, high yo yo and come on your oponents six before he can even change direction.

Offline Trip01

• Copper Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:58:21 AM »
Defensively, a good roll rate can make you very hard to hit even if the nme is right on your 6 because he cant keep his aircraft in the same plane as yours. For example to turn left, instead of rolling left 90 degrees, roll right 270 degrees. The nme will probably follow you through the roll thinking you are going right. By the time you're pulling back on the stick, you've got a second or two head start on the turn.

Offensively you can use your roll rate to turn by going vertical,  rolling, and coming out of the vertical in any direction you like.

Try going into rolling scissors with an aircraft with a slower roll rate. Keeps them very busy ;)

Trip

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:32:14 AM »
A most excellent question.

The FW 190 series is one of the most maneuverable planes in AcesHigh.

Note I did NOT say best turner.

You can use that fantastic roll to change the vector of your plane incredibly quickly.

Let's say I am attacking a zero and I have a bit of alt/E on them.  I come diving in at them @ a fairly steep angle, and the zero does a flat turn which I can not hope to follow.

What I CAN do though is use my incredible roll rate to change the vector of my nose, and get a gun solution on my opponent.

Pretend your hands are the zeke and fw.  

Take one of your hands and bring it down @ the other from above @ around a 45 deg angle from behind.
(the FW is the one comin' down @ the 45 deg angle)

Now make your zeke hand do a flat turn.  As the FW hand is coming down, roll it in the direction the zeke is turning, and notice how you now have a gun solution w/o really having to turn at all, just using roll.

(this is much easier done w/ planes on little sticks btw)

If you miss the shot (don't try to force it, if you miss, you miss, it's "ok"), roll back, and you are on your original vector almost, and have burned off very little energy, whereas the zeke just blew a TON flat turing like crazy to avoid you.  

Zoom back up and repeat.  It takes a bit of practice, but one you get the timing down, you will see you can use your roll rate to get guns on planes that out turn you.

One bit of advice: do NOT give the zeke time to rebuild that energy you just made 'em blow.  A mistake many players make is they give their opponent time to build back their Energy after they attack them.  If you can keep your opponent blowing their energy, while you keep yours, 1/2 the battle is won right there.

I am sure somebody else can explain this better, or provide a pic for your, but I hope this explination helped a bit.

(Back in AirWarrior I LOVED the FW190A4 series, and learned early on how to use it's roll to get guns on my opponents.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:45:26 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:20:16 AM »
Originally posted by badhorse
How do you use an airplane's superior roll rate in a fight if you aren't just getting into a wagon wheel type fight?
You kind of answered your own question here.  A roll rate fighter does not want a fight that takes place around a basicly stationary radius point.  They want a fight that travels down range on an axis where every flight path convergence leads to another lift vector change.  That means a scissors type fight.  In short, if the fight stops moving down range, you are no longer using that superior roll rate to put your opponent behind in angles.  You want to force your opponent to spend as much time as possible changing their lift vector to rob them time of bringing their turn performance to bear.  In the process you gain angles, and also force them in front of your wingline.

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
Take one of your hands and bring it down @ the other from above @ around a 45 deg angle from behind.
(the FW is the one comin' down @ the 45 deg angle)

Now make your zeke hand do a flat turn.  As the FW hand is coming down, roll it in the direction the zeke is turning, and notice how you now have a gun solution w/o really having to turn at all, just using roll.

(lengro has now painted camouflage skins on both hands and are all setup)

I fail to see it - if the 190 only rolls around its axis you haven't changed the direction of your bullets? Surely you have to pull the stick after the roll to get a gun solution?
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 12:08:25 PM »
Originally posted by lengro
(lengro has now painted camouflage skins on both hands and are all setup) LOL!!!

:lol  

I fail to see it - if the 190 only rolls around its axis you haven't changed the direction of your bullets? Surely you have to pull the stick after the roll to get a gun solution?

Very little stick required if any at all.  The 190's are wicked in this respect(the A-5 is the faster roller of the bunch) just do not give up any more E than you have to, and do not allow the enemy con to have a breather.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Re: Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 12:55:55 PM »
Originally posted by badhorse
How do you use an airplane's superior roll rate in a fight if you aren't just getting into a wagon wheel type fight?

The most obvious application of roll rate in both attack and defense is the ability to stay in the plane of motion of the bandit, that is to keep your lift vector parallel with the bandits, in order to take a shot. Of course, that isn’t strictly necessary, but it does make the gunnery problem easier, and most pilots will try to get in plane, by rolling their lift vector until it lines up with the bandits and then pull lead for the shot. The roll rate advantage is important in that respect, because the while the attacker is trying to get his lift vector lined up with the defender, the defender will be trying to avoid that, and the aircraft with the better roll rate should prevail. Here is a diagram so you can see what I mean.  

Another way that roll rate can be used to defeat turn rate is anytime you are able to maneuver out of plane with the bandit. The extreme example shown in the next diagram illustrates a situation where one aircraft has pulled into the vertical, while his opponent has stayed in a horizontal turn. The pilot in the vertical can use roll rate to defeat turn rate by rolling so that his lift vector points far enough in front of the bandit so that when he pulls down, he will be on his high six. This works because even aircraft with a relatively low roll rate, still have a roll rate several times higher than any other aircraft’s maximum instantaneous turn rate.

Lastly, no discussion of roll rate would be complete without reference to Colonel Boyd’s OODA loop, because in answer to your question, roll rate can also be used to defeat turn rate when the disparity is significant, (also in real life when the stick forces are significant and pilot fatigue is a factor).  The OODA loop was the idea of USAF fighter pilot and highly thought of tactician Colonel John Boyd. His OODA loop stands for Observe, Orient, Decide, and Act... this being the decision process that a pilot goes through in solving any given BFM problem during an engagement. For example, if you see you opponent change his flight path with an aileron roll, you are in the “Observe” phase of the loop. You then need to comprehend what effect your opponents changes will have on the situation, so now you are in the “Orient” phase. Now you need to make a decision from the many options available, and while doing that you are in the “Decide” phase. Finally, you need to execute that decision with a maneuver of your own, so you are in the “Act” phase of the loop, and so it continues.

A pilot who consistently completes the loop faster gains an advantage that increases with each cycle. Because the gains are additive the slower pilot becomes increasingly slower by comparison and therefore less effective until, finally, he is overcome by events.

So how does this theory apply to roll rate and turn rate? For example there is a large variation in roll rate for some WWII aircraft and so those that have higher roll rates allow the pilot to complete the "action" phase more quickly, thereby allowing him to stay inside his opponent’s Boyd loop. This can be very powerful. For example, it is possible to defeat an aircraft with superior level turn performance, from a neutral position and ending with a guns solution, by using just a roll rate advantage. When inexperienced pilots see this, they are amazed that they have an aircraft that can out turn their opponent, yet they can't kill it. The reason is that the pilot of the aircraft with the superior roll rate can use maneuvers that take advantage of the roll rate and increase their advantage incrementally every time they use it. Here is a concrete example.

Suppose we have Aircraft A and Aircraft B and suppose that the Aircraft A can turn at 18dps and has a 2dps turn rate advantage over Aircraft B that turns at 16dps. Normally, 2dps would be considered a decisive advantage in Air Combat, so Pilot A would be expected to win. However, suppose pilot B had a 120dps roll rate and that Pilot A has a 60dps role rate. Now consider what happens in a turn…

A and B are turning hard for 10 seconds say, and so pilot A gains 20 degrees on pilot B and thinks he’s winning the fight. But now B rolls 120 degrees and then continues turning. To follow him pilot A will need to roll for 2 seconds, but pilot B actually completed his 120 degrees roll in one second, so he was able to continue his turn for a full second while pilot A was still completing his roll, at 16dps that means pilot B just gained back 16 of the 20 degrees. Ok, I hear you thinking, Pilot A is still 4 degrees ahead, all he now needs to do is keep turning for the kill. Not so fast… The moment pilot B sees pilot A complete his roll and begin to turn into him again, pilot B repeats his previous 120 degree roll in another direction and now gains another 16 degrees. At the end of that pair of maneuvers, pilot B with the inferior turning aircraft will be 12 degrees farther around than his opponent, and he will gain another 16 degrees every time he does it. Of course, I only picked those numbers because they were easy to work with, they aren’t important, it is the principle that counts. As Boyd said "Time becomes the critical determinant of combat advantage".

After all that, we have still only been discussing the “Act” part of the cycle. When you consider the other parts of the cycle, there are other factors that have an effect on the outcome. For simulation pilots the “Observe” phase is influenced by the viewing system used, the icons, radar, and even the game resolution all provide different visual cues. Their interpretation can lead to different perceptions and estimates of the combat situation. So “Orient” is about understanding what you see, and different levels of comprehension will compel pilots to make different decisions. Inexperienced pilots are more likely to use pure "G for brains", and pull directly into the bandit, while pilots better versed in the subtleties of air combat are likely to have a more complete three dimensional perspective, and thus be able to find more efficient solutions to BFM problems. So the “Orient” phase is about understanding the situation you are in, the implications of the bandits actions, and what you need to do about it, and there may well be several options. That of course leads to the “Decide” phase, and has other influences, for example how many solutions there are, how much fuel or ammo you have remaining, the proximity of other aircraft… and so on. Each phase takes some time and Boyd’s proposition was that the successful pilot will be able to process his OODA loop more rapidly than his opponent. In his own words the successful pilot would "get inside his adversary's loop", thereby forcing the opponent to always react defensively. Boyd once said while describing what it was like to operate inside his opponent’s OODA loop: “It’s like they’re moving in slow motion.” And there are many who can confirm, that is exactly what it is like to fight new pilots online…

Hope that helps...

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 02:00:08 PM »
The 190s are actually about the least manueverable planes in the game, at least amoung the 1 and 2 engine planeset.  You might be able to take on a B-17 or a B-24 in a fight... but for anything else you best stick to bore n zoom.

That wasn't always the case, they used to be merely bad, but still almost usable (the A-5 and D-9 anyway, the A-8 was always a bit of a pig).  

You can spin about your axis all day long, but that doesnt make you manueverable.  You have to actually be able to DO something with the plane other than rotating the lift vector around, and sadly you cannot do that with any 190.  

You'd be far better off comparing a plane with average manueverability with a plane like the Tiffie, which can turn reasonably well, but rolls like a pig.  Even then I wouldn't want to scissor with a Tiffie, but thats just me.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 02:24:45 PM »
Lute hit it right on IMO. Your roll rate determines your ability to manuever your lift vector. Your lift vector controls where your aircraft is headed and is the center point for your envelope of movement. In a "luftberry" we have a more or less 2 dimensional fight with both sides trying to get the lift vector out front.

What Lute is describing in what Robert Johnson called a "vector roll" attack. Its what he used as a fovorite tactic and the "move" he used to defeat a british sptfire in a rather famous "duel".

The concept of using your roll rate to change your lift vector is applicable in alot of different ways.

The P40b clip actually has alot of use of roll vs turn....take a look at it just from that perspective...

In the initial "merge" I'm giving the nikki a shot window to draw himn into a fight I can win. I'm using roll not "turn" to convert to his 6 (lets say 22-27 sec). If you pause the film at 52 sec you'll see my lift vector is literally 90 degree's off the nikki's flight path. You can see me hold it and then let the nose roll thru the nikkis flight path for the shot. It's a much more subtle use but it illustrates badboys point above. You can rotate your lift vector much faster then a plane can fly thru an equivelent degree of arc. After the shot I fall right back into a lag pursuit with my lift vector more or less on the con.

As he continues thru his loop/hi yoyo you'll see I'm rolling my lift vector AWAY and holding my nose high. In the example lute described you actually roll your lift vector away from the zeke's turn and pull thru to the turns "elbow"...here I just force my nose up the "roll" my lift vector from the lag position I established back thru to lead.

If you look at the clip at 1:51 to 156 you'll see roll set up a crossing shot. The key to using roll is understanding lag pursuit and out of plane lag pursuit. If you establish the right position then you can "rotate" your nose ahead of the bogie fairly easily.

The sequence from 1:51 to 2:06 shows the use of roll vs turn pretty well...

one last time

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 03:15:47 PM »
I fly 190's, and particularily the A-8 a lot and here's a practical example:

In a scissors defense your goal is to get out of plane with your opponent as quickly as possible and remain out of plane (wing orientations do not match up) forcing an overshoot.

If I roll left and pull back on the stick with a Spit or a P-51 for instance following me, I can complete the 90 degree roll and be turning for some number of seconds before my opponent gets back in phase.  

As soon as he gets close to getting in phase I roll 180 degrees opposite and continue to pull back on the stick.  This time it takes my opponent twice as long to get back in phase and be turning in the same direction I am.  Until that happens, his turn arch is greater than mine, even though he has the better turning plane.

Once again, as he comes back into phase I repeat in the opposite direction.

These moves have two effects:

1.  My opponent bleeds more E in the roll phase of the fight than I do as he has to fight the roll more than I do, possibly even applying rudder to try to stay with me.

2.  Because he's reacting to my moves and it takes him longer to roll into each turn, his flight path is shorter than mine (his zigs and zags along a stright line are not as pronounced as mine) so he will be gaining linearily on me over time and will eventually overshoot placing me on his six or giving me a crossing snapshot.

Ths is just one practical application of the principals discussed above.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 11:31:46 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I fly 190's, and particularily the A-8 a lot and here's a practical example:

In a scissors defense your goal is to get out of plane with your opponent as quickly as possible and remain out of plane (wing orientations do not match up) forcing an overshoot.

If I roll left and pull back on the stick with a Spit or a P-51 for instance following me, I can complete the 90 degree roll and be turning for some number of seconds before my opponent gets back in phase.  

As soon as he gets close to getting in phase I roll 180 degrees opposite and continue to pull back on the stick.  This time it takes my opponent twice as long to get back in phase and be turning in the same direction I am.  Until that happens, his turn arch is greater than mine, even though he has the better turning plane.

Once again, as he comes back into phase I repeat in the opposite direction.

These moves have two effects:

1.  My opponent bleeds more E in the roll phase of the fight than I do as he has to fight the roll more than I do, possibly even applying rudder to try to stay with me.

2.  Because he's reacting to my moves and it takes him longer to roll into each turn, his flight path is shorter than mine (his zigs and zags along a stright line are not as pronounced as mine) so he will be gaining linearily on me over time and will eventually overshoot placing me on his six or giving me a crossing snapshot.

Ths is just one practical application of the principals discussed above.

I would strongly suggest that the flat scissors is to be avoided. It is extremely easy to counter because it commits you to an E bleeding series of maneuvers that will leave you absolutely defenseless. In all my years of flying Aces High, I have never failed to kill an enemy who resorted to a scissors. In my opinion, other than fooling a noob, it's almost worthless.

Why is it worthless? Because the instant I see you roll to reverse direction, I'm going vertical. Once my nose is up, I'll roll 180 degrees, reacquire and curve down for a shot. Making matters worse for the defender, he has no E reserve to counter me.

If you begin your scissors too soon, it's merely a minor effort to chop throttle, skid and wait for you to pass in front. I can also choose to yo-yo and pop the defender as above.

I'd suggest a slight turn into a high AoA barrel roll, right into a rolling scissors, where the vertical displacement makes a tracking shot very difficult. It can result in the desired overshoot with far less risk of getting clobbered as you will not be flying such a predictable flight path.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 12:37:42 AM »
Although I am not an expert in any of the 190's. I have surprised myself with what the roll rate can do with a little SA in the mix of a fight. Such as I just roll out of the gun sight of someone and such. Or the most common thing that I end up doing when an enemy does a rolling scissors is I sorta just watch and roll and let him fly around me. While I am just rolling and bleeding E so as soon as he flies across my sights. Well you get the picture... sort of....
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 12:43:51 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
In all my years of flying Aces High, I have never failed to kill an enemy who resorted to a scissors.  

Nor have I although I handle it differently than you.  I simply throttle back to avoid the overshoot and kill the con on a crossing snapshot.

I have, however, succesully killed many in a flat scissors defense.

I guess there is no lack of noobs.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Roll rate vs Turn radius
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 12:43:52 AM »
How will roll affect a rolling scissors?

For example, a 38L against a 38J. The only advantage in this fight is the superior roll rate of the L. How is that used in a rolling scissors to get an advantage?