Author Topic: The uber-sticks...hahahaha  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
The uber-sticks...hahahaha
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »
I try to use the "high sides attack" against bombers.  I like to be above them, about 1.5K out, slightly in front so that I can see the buffs just behind my wingtip.  Then roll into the bomber formation for a firing pass.  Repeat until buffs are gone.  Usually with little risk to yourself.  

Sometimes I mix up the passes by dropping below the bombers for the firing pass.  I figure the pilot has to switch guns and gets a little confused with this type of attack.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 05:29:05 PM »
Well as long as we're dropping scores, this tour I have:

Kills of:

B-17: 8
Ju-88: 3
Ar 234: 2
B-24: 1
Boston: 1
B-26: 1

Killed by:
B-17: 1 (in a spit 16, that was my drunk kill lol)
Ki-67: 1 (999000, attacked level 6 on the deck, stupid stupid)

I think my kills are mostly in the Typhoon, with a couple in spit 16, and probably 1 or 2 each in the Pony and Corsair.  I got the Ar-234's in a Seafire of all things doing carrier defense, right place at right time, and the dude flew a really predictable flight path.

I've been really concentrating on patience.  Both bomber kills of me this tour came from being stupid, the B-17 kill was because I was drunk, late at night, and I got lazy and plowed in from level 6.  999000 hit me because, well, it was him, although I got him last night (woot!).

Anyway, that's an 8:1 K/D, not too bad.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 05:33:14 PM »
i am not a fantastic buff killer but the 2 tactics i find work well are:

1:  Headon pass aiming for cockpits...anything from the front really...works pretty good for me

2:  side belly passes seems to set b24s and lancs on fire easily...im aiming for their bomb bays and flames come out....then i stay away til they explode
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 05:34:21 PM »
In mid-war:

Kills of:
B26: 3
Ju88: 2
Lanc: 2
B25: 1

Most in P-38, Perhaps a couple in a 109G6 or 1 in a 190A5.

No deaths to bombers yet, although I got PW'd in a P-38 making a lazy pass on Rodant57 (or something like that) that I was lucky enough to get home safely.  I then proceeded to kill 2 of his lancs after I re-upped by taking a very patient approach, probably a good 10 minutes of chasing and setting up before I made both runs.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »
If I get into a fight with bombs still on board does that increase my chances of blowing up? I know that sounds like a dumb question but Ive heard both kinda answers.

Side attacks, even level ones, can be very effective as long as the fighter stick doesn't get greedy or lose his awareness. Many will try and do to much with the pass and end up hanging up. Better off to slice and then recover and slice again. I just had two fighters climb right up my 6. I killed both from 1,000 out. I guess shooting at those targets in the TA is starting to pay off.

A 190 tried dancing in my 6 on another one. Dancing in can be effective, the trouble with that is if your to busy dancing you cant line up to shoot. Thats what happened with this guy. I actually blew his first pass and got him with the 2nd one.

The thing about guys like Lusche, and the others in his class, is that they are both patient and decisive at the same time. When they have control of the engagement they go right for the jugular without hesitation.

One thing I like about the 26s and the KI-67s is they both turn very well. Constant turning can mess with a sticks rhythm, and thats exactly what I want to do. I want to take him out of his rhythm and hopefully cause him to hang up just a second to long. I'll tellya going into the TA, shooting at targets and other sticks training, has helped me an awful lot.

Another thing I do is when im climbing I practice switching from gun to gun, plane to plane. Its gotten so i can get snap shots off pretty well in the 3 bomber types I almost always fly. The 26s, of course, the 17s/24s, and the KI.

The KI-67 is a very dangerous bomber. I got caught landing it a few times so my stats probably suck with it, but for having such a high eny it is a very dangerous bomber to fly against. Its fast, climbs well, has good firepower, and is a great raid bomber for stuff like Dars, ords, troops, towns...ect Once you get the hang of that 20mm cannon it becomes very dangerous. That is one bomber you want to sit back a minute and figure things out before rushing in. It has its weak spots so patience against it will help a lot.

I would put it just a notch behind the 26s and 17s as far as defend-able bombers go. Thanks to all for a great conversation. .
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo

The KI-67 is a very dangerous bomber.  

Hehe, I vividly remember losing my 262 to your Ki-67's 20mm. I approached low from the side, trying to stay out of that 200mm gun arc. Also I was hoping you were in the bombsight as we were closing on my base.
But then the Ki suddenly banked towards me... and *BOOM*  I go :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 07:20:25 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Hehe, I vividly remember losing my 262 to your Ki-67's 20mm. I approached low from the side, trying to stay out of that 200mm gun arc. Also I was hoping you were in the bombsight as we were closing on my base.
But then the Ki suddenly banked towards me... and *BOOM*  I go :D

:lol Thats one of my better tricks. Playing stupid! Actually I dont even have to try much as it comes out kinda natural.

Its also a very effective technique. A lot of times I wont do a thing, even twitch, wont even move a gun. I call it the "Bambi defense" in that you look so  fat, pathetic, and helpless, a stick will come in poorly.

You were out of my cannon fire arc. The thing is I have been practicing rolling the aircraft and firing. I also got kinda lucky, lets face it. It was the single and only mistake Ive ever seen you make.

Boy Im hot tonight 5-0 good guys with 1 assist and haven't lost a bomber. This is about the time I run into an uber-stick and get splattered all over creation.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 08:28:12 PM »
Frankly, a buff's defensive capabilities are overrated. That being said, there are some very good players when it comes to defending their buffs. Just for grins I went back and looked at what I have done versus bombers in the current and prior 2 camps. My K/D versus bombers is about 11 to 1 (193 to 13). Invariably, when I die, it's because I got bored and ended up dead 6 holding the trigger down.

The only time I get bothered is when I'm facing 3 or more flying in close formation. Now THAT is fun!!!! :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 09:17:04 PM »
My goal is to reach a 1 to 1 ratio, bomber kills of fighters to my own getting whacked. Im actually a lot closer to it now then what the game says. Take away the "goon deaths", the kilt while in the bathroom deaths, the lazy, the "dumb try to land at a frontline base right into an NOE mission" deaths, and the "just plain stupid" deaths, and hopefully I'll get there.

I take these 26s into some hairy furball action too. But...how else can you grow? Tonight Im 7 to 1, or 8 to 1, in my favor. Not a bad night. In some ways its safer to plow into a furball then it is go into a strat to face some uber-stick jumping into his rocket plane.

The worst is when you have 3 190s chasing you and it looks like only one player controlling all 3. :O  That means you have some squadies there that eat Buffs for breakfast.:huh

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 11:41:44 PM »
Very True, it takes alot of patience to attack buffs especally if u start out below them.

Key tips to remember

1. Be patient.
2. Dive from above especally if u dont have cannons
3. NEVER GET ON THEIR SIX!!!!

there are some more trade secrets that I use but everyone has their own style, but keeping those 3 key things in mind will ususally keep u alive.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 12:21:52 AM »
I wonder what 999 would have to say about this.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 01:35:08 AM »
Taking a formation of B17s into a furball on the deck is "hairy action". Taking a formation of B26s (the buff equivalent of the LA7) over a furball at 15K is not.

If you are getting 7 or 8 to 1, you are either a far better gunner than 999, or you are flying like a pansie. I am going to go with the latter.

And wth is this "uber sticks" crap? You're talking about which guys endure the snorefest of setting up a survivable attack on bombers. That has nothing to do with being uber, and more to do with "well, I've got an hour or 2 to kill, I'll setup an attack on this porkdork". As if attacking nonmaneuvering aircraft is a test of anything more than patience... eeesh.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 01:57:50 AM »
Sometimes i take the time to set up properly for an attack, but often im lazy and take a chanse at dead 6 attack. Gives us both a fighting chanse and doesnt take forever. Depends on my mood mostly. :)

That relaxed attitude has given me

B24: 17 - 0
Lanc: 11 - 0
ju88 9 - 0
B26 9 - 4 (dantoo? :D )
ki67 3 - 0
B17 3 - 0

Have flown very little this tour so i have few kills overall K/D 203/27

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 03:40:49 AM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
I wonder what 999 would have to say about this.

oh yeah forgot rule number 4

4. If its 999000 leave him alone, u will die;)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 05:21:31 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Taking a formation of B17s into a furball on the deck is "hairy action". Taking a formation of B26s (the buff equivalent of the LA7) over a furball at 15K is not.

If you are getting 7 or 8 to 1, you are either a far better gunner than 999, or you are flying like a pansie. I am going to go with the latter.

And wth is this "uber sticks" crap? You're talking about which guys endure the snorefest of setting up a survivable attack on bombers. That has nothing to do with being uber, and more to do with "well, I've got an hour or 2 to kill, I'll setup an attack on this porkdork". As if attacking nonmaneuvering aircraft is a test of anything more than patience... eeesh.

Thanks for your contribution sweetheart. Really, a pleasure meeting you. Lets do lunch some day.

This charm offensive of yours really must stop.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:24:31 AM by Rich46yo »