Author Topic: General Climate Discussion  (Read 82700 times)

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
Re: General Climate Discussion
« Reply #1455 on: April 03, 2008, 05:40:08 AM »
You:
"Sun spots have been proven to change climate, and they have nothing to do with cosmic rays. "
The article:
"Cosmic rays are deflected away from Earth by our planet's magnetic field, and by the solar wind "

The article refutes a study that supposed solar wind's deflection of extra-solar cosmic rays was corelated to cloud density over the earth, with some effect on earth's climate.  The first part is true, solar wind effectively reduces external cosmic rays, so they do have something to do with cosmic rays.  In fact if the article and your post weren't so imprecise, it could be said that the two were the same, solar and external cosmic rays.

Again, solar winds/ cosmic rays, have zilch to do with sun spots. No where in the article does it even mention the words sun spot.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #1456 on: April 03, 2008, 05:43:21 AM »
Regardless, what are the lasting affects? Sun and solar flares affect, the earth recovers balances, where is the data that matters?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #1457 on: April 03, 2008, 05:44:01 AM »
Again, solar winds/ cosmic rays, have zilch to do with sun spots.
http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/vvc/cosmicrays/crsun.html

Coffee at this point if anyone knew, you'd definitely have heard of it.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #1458 on: April 03, 2008, 05:53:02 AM »
This subject could easily become some sort of debate where people trade theories facts and issues for agendas. It would be interesting to know a bit more. I have to admit I dont know much about it myself.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1459 on: April 03, 2008, 05:55:17 AM »
You mean this thread?  There's been a long one before this one already, it shouldn't be too many pages back. 
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #1461 on: April 03, 2008, 06:00:36 AM »
Your link just states what I was saying. I think you misinterpreted a part of it. During a solar maximum, when sun spots are more prevelent, the solar winds are stronger. If you do more research into it you will find that the solar winds are not stronger because of the sunspot, and the sunspots are not more widespread because of the solar winds. They are both caused by separate phenomina. The causing factors for each are unrelated. I can remeber exactly what the causing factors are, but I remember going over this last month in one of my classes.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1462 on: April 03, 2008, 06:23:37 AM »
Without our planet's magnetic field, Earth would be subjected to more cosmic radiation. The increase could knock out power grids, scramble the communications systems on spacecraft, temporarily widen atmospheric ozone holes, and generate more aurora activity.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0909_040909_earthmagfield.html
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1463 on: April 03, 2008, 12:46:09 PM »
Well, the magnetic poles do hop-&-bop arond, and,,,???
It's been moving quite a bit in the last year, and will continue to do so.
However the climate is another...issue..
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #1464 on: April 03, 2008, 11:58:38 PM »
I can't wait for the polls to shift, it's been my whole life's dream to watch this great train wreck/catastrophe :uhoh I mean come on as a kid didn't you think the world could just somehow, spin out of control! for a day or two? when you spin a top, does it not spin strait then curve and shake, then spin strait again? surely the world could not be that much different atleast i hope not! I want too see all these brilliant minds just go plumb goofy :rofl :rofl :rofl when the poop really hits the fan< just to let them know, what morons they really were!! :huh :aok :aok :aok
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1465 on: April 04, 2008, 05:21:51 AM »
Then you don't have to wait, for now La Nina is active, so a slight cooling may be expected.
Then the polls will change again :D

BTW, newest research from the Univerity of Lancaster gives the result that recent warming has nothing at all to do with swings in solar activity....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #1466 on: April 04, 2008, 06:45:31 AM »
I'm not sure I want to be here when the poles shift again.
So much of our everyday life will be effected by such an event. navigation as we know it will be impossible. Anything that depends on the magnetic field will be affected. It'll be interesting, but not in a "hey this is cool" way :(
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1467 on: April 04, 2008, 06:59:50 AM »
CBass the spots are an index to solar activity, elements of which solar wind is one of.   The first mention of spots was by you; why, I don't know.   Regardless, cosmic rays onto earth from outside the solar system are deflected by solar wind, which itself has similar particles. Said particles are ejected in, among other occurences, coronal mass ejections, an illustration of which I linked to.. In which you can see some sort of corelation with sunspots, namely that sunspots are the mag field locations which CMEs belch from.

See this: http://www.cosmicrays.org/muon-rays.php
On average, every eleven years solar activity is high. The magnetic field of the sun increases, solar flares are more common, which produce magnetic clouds and therefore cosmic rays are deflected stronger than during a solar minimum. Thus, when the sun is active, fewer galactic cosmic rays reach Earth's atmosphere in order to produce secondary particles.

Maybe you got confused with flares?  Flares also happen in sunspot regions.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1468 on: April 04, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
I'm not sure I want to be here when the poles shift again.
So much of our everyday life will be effected by such an event. navigation as we know it will be impossible. Anything that depends on the magnetic field will be affected. It'll be interesting, but not in a "hey this is cool" way :(

You ARE here, and the magnetic poles ARE shifting ;)
Nothing compared to the axis properly shifting though ...

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1469 on: April 04, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »
Hmmm, no increase in temp in 10 years.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,346310,00.html
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.