Author Topic: General Climate Discussion  (Read 82699 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: General Climate Discussion
« Reply #1590 on: July 02, 2008, 11:51:50 AM »
Jackie, just sit on your butt in comfy Texas then. Ever go elsewhere?
And about his:
"IF a big enough meteor hits the earth we are all toast.
IF we lose gravity we are in for a hell of a ride.
IF the super volcano in Yellowstone erupts, Pledge won`t do the trick on the dust.
IF one of the thousands of doomsday theories comes to pass it`s over.
IF a rabbit had wings his butt wouldn`t hit the ground so much."

Well, you can't do squat :D
However, it continues to strike me odd that people like you do not relate polar melting to Global warming, and while the oil companies sponsor "scientists" to deny polar melting, they also send researchers to explore possible drilling grounds due to retreating ice.

Ever looked up the word "Hippocracy"?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #1591 on: July 02, 2008, 12:39:09 PM »
What kind of global warming is this?
Geophysicist Phil Chapman, the first Australian to become an astronaut with NASA, said pictures from the US Solar and Heliospheric Observatory also show that there are currently no spots on the sun. He also noted that the world cooled quickly between January last year and January this year, by about 0.7C.

"This is the fastest temperature change in the instrumental record, and it puts us back to where we were in 1930," Dr Chapman noted in The Australian recently.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1592 on: July 02, 2008, 05:10:22 PM »
What kind of a guy is this?
Did he look at the polar caps?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #1593 on: July 02, 2008, 11:55:09 PM »
What kind of a guy is this?
Did he look at the polar caps?

I think so.

According to the National Snow and Ice Data Center, the January 2008 Northern Hemisphere sea ice extent, which is measured from passive microwave instruments onboard NOAA satellites, was below the 1979-2000 mean, but greater than the previous four years.
Meanwhile, the January 2008 Southern Hemisphere sea ice extent was much above the 1979-2000 mean. This was the largest sea ice extent in January over the 30-year historical period. Sea ice extent for January has increased at a rate of 1.9%/decade.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/research/2008/jan/global.html#seaice

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1594 on: July 03, 2008, 03:33:27 AM »
That was January bud. And despite being larger than the previous (humble) 4 years, now it's about as small as ever. Last time I checked the calendar, it was July.
The flat out all time record is expected to be in September.We wait and see....

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #1595 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:19 AM »
As this topic is the other most popular topic on this board, I have stickied it so you no longer have to hunt for it and I no longer have to merge threads about it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1596 on: July 03, 2008, 08:05:54 AM »
It has been a very nice and mild spring and summer here so far and had been a little colder than average winter... don't you ever go out past your back yard angus?   It is like the  coldest july I can recall.... the fourth of july will only be in the 80's!!!!  we have to do something NOW  no matter what it costs..  no matter what it does.. we need to bring back 100 degree 4th of july's.

lazs

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1597 on: July 03, 2008, 08:09:12 AM »
As this topic is the other most popular topic on this board, I have stickied it so you no longer have to hunt for it and I no longer have to merge threads about it.

:rofl

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1598 on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »
cooooool.

:aok
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1599 on: July 03, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »
Lazs:
"It has been a very nice and mild spring and summer here so far and had been a little colder than average winter... don't you ever go out past your back yard angus?"
The back yard I refer to is roughly the size of the USA. Some yard...
The energy at work is ice melting, which basically takes some degrees.
Now, save my energy and enlighten yourself by looking up how the trade off is heating water (or ice for that extent) vs heating air. And then tell me ;)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1600 on: July 03, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »

So if the whole lot of us joined up on the "hello kitty online" game as pirates and had a wickedly popular thread about it, would it get stickied too?   :aok
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1601 on: July 04, 2008, 08:35:11 AM »
jackal.. while it is a "global" "man made" warming...   we have been lucky and the things that affect the rest of the globe do not affect us at all..  the entire American continent has been immune to the effects of global warming...  course.. we do keep the best records of anyplace on earth and have satellite data but...

It does seem unfair huh?  we are this huge carbon hog and it is only the rest of the world that suffers.. they have different air tho I guess..   same for China.. the have huge underground coal fires that are making more carbon every year than every car and truck in America and they are right in there with us on carbon pollution yet.. they do not seem to be affected either.. Now the pesky ruskies are saying that they are not being affected.   

But..  we do have tree ring data and ice core samples and the ice is melting in angus's back yard so it is a disaster that we need to wreck the worlds economy over... we can't allow angus to have a few good growing seasons.

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1602 on: July 04, 2008, 09:36:54 AM »
Lazs, U.S. Citizents are some 5% of the planet's population.
U.S. Citizens are fewer than Europeans.
There are more than 3 chinese for each american.
The chinese carbon emission comes in large quantities solely for material production for the west.
And regarding those underground coal fires, I have never seen you give a proper source for it, nor explane how they spew co2 without inhaling oxygen.
Not that it matters anyway,since you discard the link between GW and CO2. (I have my doubts on that absoluteness as well)
And again, what you refer to so lightly as "Anguses back yard" is about as big as the USA. The mass of the melting is much more than the mass of the atmosphere over the whole of the USA.....I challenge you for showing some IQ and tell me how much water needs to warm 1 degree C vs the whole atmosphere over an area the size of my.....tiny back yard....
If you cannot, I'll call you "Sue" and answer the question. tic-toc.......10 hours to go...if you're lucky...

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1603 on: July 04, 2008, 09:45:49 AM »
angus... I have done so in the past but...

http://www.minesandcommunities.org/article.php?a=1815

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/from-bagels-to-coal-fires-an-unorthodox-economist-keeps-pushing-for-change/

http://www.post-gazette.com/healthscience/20030215coalenviro4p4.asp

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3390-wild-coal-fires-are-a-global-catastrophe.html

There are hundreds of more sites that explain it.   most are even from environmentalists and other lefty groups.

As for the temp...  who cares?   if carbon is not doing it then man is not doing it and there is nothing we can do about it but to wait it out..

You also realize that the margin of error on "global climate" is +- 2 degrees.. far more than the increase?

What are you saying?  are you saying that we are not causing the warming but need to somehow cause a cooling?   I am saying the we are not capable of heating or cooling the globe to any significant degree.

I am saying that the "scientists" have not one frigging clue as to what the temp of the globe will be 20 years from now much less 100..   hell.. not even next year.

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1604 on: July 04, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »
I am saying that we can screw the planet into bacteria life alone if the noose is loose.
And I am saying that it IS warming, whatever the reason.
I am saying that you cannot DEBATE polar cap melting with numbers, any more than debating facts with paper.
And I still wait for your mind to solve the little riddle :D