Author Topic: General Climate Discussion  (Read 82700 times)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: General Climate Discussion
« Reply #1650 on: July 11, 2008, 09:25:28 AM »
yummy,, Angus makes the best ground beef :O
sure am thinking about a nice fat double cheeseburger! :t
besides i don't really think one less cow will hurt the planet :devil
i do remember mt. saint Helen's and i remember the beautiful sunsets a thousand miles away for over a month after :pray
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1651 on: July 11, 2008, 10:43:41 AM »
There doesn`t  have to be an eruption for a volcano or volcanic action to release super heated gas and vapor, steam, etc.
Nice try though.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1652 on: July 11, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »
Sure think Jackie. So now it's invisible and undetectable underseas volcanoes.
Ever hear of a thermometer? IR?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
      • Strike Manufacturing Inc.
« Reply #1653 on: July 11, 2008, 11:31:26 AM »
Angus why do I keep hearing that 2012 number all the time :O spooky isn't it :noid
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
You can be one but NOT both...

Fully Fledged Practising Atheist Bishop

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1654 on: July 11, 2008, 12:20:48 PM »
Sure think Jackie. So now it's invisible and undetectable underseas volcanoes.
Ever hear of a thermometer? IR?

The oceans are one of the most unexplored areas that is on earth.
That`s the point. Nobody knows. It is just one of the things that hasn`t been factored in, along with many.
Climate has changed since the beginning of recorded history without the input of machinery and such.
I don`t expect it will stop changing just because someone is wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth.
Man`s input is insignificant in the scheme of things.
But not to fear, there will be many more Doomsday quacks come along. There always have been. I have seen many in my life.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:24:57 PM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1655 on: July 12, 2008, 03:27:55 AM »
And as they are constantly being explored, expected volcanoes are being discovered, it's not that they're popping up on well  explored areas.
There are also areas that are well explored by the way...
And they're warming, the data is piling up there. Some people are concerned about that and look for a reason, other people arrogantly ignore it, deny it, and try to chat it away...
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1656 on: July 12, 2008, 03:34:09 AM »
Here is an underseas volcanoe heading for the Surface. I can see it through my living room window  :D

And here is another, soon ready to go. I will gnash my teeth for the ruin and cold that will follow in it's wake...

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1657 on: July 12, 2008, 04:43:29 AM »
And then I'm gnashing teeth because of other invironmental issues...even bees...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbzBswSOtVc&feature=related

Is there a handy explanation yet?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1658 on: July 12, 2008, 08:21:07 AM »
There are some people who have the plastic statue syndrome so bad you couldn`t get through to with a pick axe and C4.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1659 on: July 12, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »
Isn't C4 plastic  :devil

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1660 on: July 12, 2008, 09:37:26 AM »
Angus I bet there are hundreds of people on the BBS that are jealous of your view. Me for one :salute

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1661 on: July 12, 2008, 09:52:15 AM »
And then I'm gnashing teeth because of other invironmental issues...even bees...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbzBswSOtVc&feature=related

Is there a handy explanation yet?

Very very interesting I am going to read more on this :aok

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1662 on: July 12, 2008, 11:56:46 AM »
Angus I bet there are hundreds of people on the BBS that are jealous of your view. Me for one :salute

It's a million dollar view, so to say, but my home is on an EVAC list if the second volcanoe (Katla) blows. I'd have max 4 hrs.
We did the drill some year or two ago. So, it's like sleeping on top of a powder keg. But it does indeed affect your thoughts about many things in nature....
I'll try to find some links for my wife's pictures from nearby views, which indeed are many and nice looking.

As for the link, this is new news to me, but nothing not to be expected. A hic-up in the lifesystems can cause serious trouble to us humans much faster than a gradual GW. And...they may link...
Nowadays, we must realize, that most of folks are urban, and relying deeply on logistical systems as well as being very little knowledgable with the way of nature, have no chance at all to respond to a catastrophy that lasts long...well it only takes some months....
If you think this one deeper, what happens to a metropois that suddenly doesn't get fed, or gradually gets less foods, with the prices doubling and redoubling. Suddenly the forgotten most important factor gets into the spotlight. FOOD.
IMHO it could go anywhere between an impressive depression and a collapse of a civilization.
As a guy on the land, I'd be happy to have Laz's arsenal, just in case of 'em city folks trying to empty my freezer  :devil

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1663 on: July 12, 2008, 12:35:05 PM »
Angus  :aok :aok

I have been watching what has been happening to our farms and the wife and I agree to start buying up land out in Sask Canada though it might turn in to a desert if the weather keeps changing. Something that is far enough away from people that they can not afford the fuel to find me. Also went back to buying research and how to books. I imagine if the world starts going to h3ll the internet will also go and then we will be stuck with out Google. I have gone back to having a garden and starting to collect and store seeds. My small farm here has animals to eat and a couple of large freezers( ok as long as we have power). I have a wood heater in my house as back up for the geothermal heat (ground scource heat pump)
My Grampa (bombardier in a Lanc '44 deceased since '86) always said that the next major world conflict food would be the most precious commodity. He pointed out that people have lost the respect they had for each other that there was in the '40s.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1664 on: July 12, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »
LOL, not that worried myself....but still...let's say...concerned.
Just raised a greenhouse. Well, the greenhouse effect seems to work fine in greenhouses, so now me, and mostly the missus, are beginning with our personal greenhouse effect :D
But really, when you see what a power-out can do with a western culture within days, and see what kind of things happened in the period of the great depression, you can only begin to think about what happens when the fluffy modern people get hit with ... say 30%  less crops and then another 30% etc...
All prices are going ballistic, since the product is a necessity (food), then you'll have people by the millions that cannot sustain themselves.
All sorts of "necessities" are going to fly out the window for Water-food-and possibly power, - at the end of the day, these are the necessities. And food no more means pree-cooked or trucked chicken-like with a dozen materials in the sauce...just anything that will keep you alive....
And if it would go on? City folks in very big trouble. As for cultures, there are possibly some paralelles in war torn Europe and USSR during and after WW2.
Very tough life  it was, while the people tackling it at the time were still mostly of much tougher and nature-based roots than the generations in the west today.