Author Topic: General Climate Discussion  (Read 82700 times)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re: General Climate Discussion
« Reply #1680 on: July 15, 2008, 01:02:22 AM »
Global Warming May Lead to More Kidney Stones, Researchers Say

By Adam Satariano

July 15 (Bloomberg) -- More Americans may develop kidney stones as global warming raises the risk of dehydration, according to a study in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Warmer temperatures predicted by climate scientists may lead to a 30 percent increase in kidney stone cases in some U.S. regions, researchers at the University of Texas wrote in the study published today. That would result in a $1 billion increase in annual treatment costs by 2050, they said.

I know that some serious science is being done and reasonable concerns are being brought forth, but when some yahoo comes out with the reason for kidney stones can be traced to AGW, gimme a break...  This is the type of crapola that makes me want to say that the AGW is just hysteria. 
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1681 on: July 15, 2008, 05:59:37 AM »
Want to fret over global warming?
Watch the people lining up at the banks after the IndyMac failure and  Feds seizure.
Watch National City and WaMu fall like a rock.
Watch the Euro market going crazy.
Wait to see which way the teeter totter tilts from this.
Panic and fallout from this could get you some instant "Global Warming" in a heartbeat.
There are plenty of problems today, real problems to wring your hands and gnash teeth over without falling prey to  such crap as GW scammers who only want your bucks and don`t give a rat`s behind what it does to anyone and everyone.
The all mighty buck is the biggest DOOMSDAY threat. It is a real one.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 06:06:36 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1682 on: July 15, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »
yep.. I have always felt that I had enough real problems to worry about without manufacturing em or..  letting others manufacture em for me.

We will go into a cooling cycle and the same people here who believe in man made global warming and the end of life as we know it..  well.. they will be screaming about man made global cooling and all the things we need to do to stop from all becoming a meatsicle in 100 years.

the thing about disasters of the proportion that you are all predicting is..   they have been predicted every 10 years or so since man could walk and they have a rate of being true of... what was that number again?   oh yeah... ZERO FRIGGING PERCENT OF THE TIME.

Even the great depression that doomday lovers so lovingly refer to in order to scare themselves...  even that....

Does anyone here know how many people in America starved to death (not counting crazies or those lost in the wilderness) during the great depression ..  anyone? 

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1683 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:03 AM »
Well, the Euro market is going such, that their currency is steadily leaving the $ behind.
So, while GW denialism has its roots mostly in the USA, the Euros seem to be able to look at it without panicking.

As for predicted disasters, those were all possible of course, but not measurable. Now Lazs, you seem to completely belive in an upcoming "ice age" anyway, at least you use that to support your claim that MMGW would be for the good, while in the other word you deny it.
The predicted possible "end of the world" disasters were what....Nuclear war (which was possible any minute for decades) and a meteor strike, and the Iceage prediction in the 70's/80's which you mention a lot (and I completely missed at the time, - I guess our metreologists didn't give much for it), and then disease...which is something to consider.
We've been lucky. I've been lucky too, never had a night in a hospital since my birth. But I still look ahead on to the road, and wear a seatbelt :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1684 on: July 15, 2008, 12:08:37 PM »
Well, the Euro market is going such, that their currency is steadily leaving the $ behind.
So, while GW denialism has its roots mostly in the USA, the Euros seem to be able to look at it without panicking.

It just gets more hilarious every time you post.
The dollar surge here or there, up/down has nothing to do with the damn GW scam.  :rofl
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1685 on: July 15, 2008, 12:39:08 PM »
Well, from these words of yours, I was inspired for the input:
"Watch the Euro market going crazy.
Panic and fallout from this could get you some instant "Global Warming" in a heartbeat."

Now realize that the Euros are the ones not calling the GW a scam....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1686 on: July 15, 2008, 06:57:46 PM »
Well, from these words of yours, I was inspired for the input:
"Watch the Euro market going crazy.
Panic and fallout from this could get you some instant "Global Warming" in a heartbeat."

Angus "Global Warming" as in tension, disruption, not friggen GW.
Too funny.
All caused by hand wringers and DOOMSDAYERS of sort over the allmighty buck.
If you want a threat to worry about to keep you occupied there is plenty to worry about in day to day life. Right here, right now without falling for the oldest shell game in the books.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:01:20 PM by Jackal1 »

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #1687 on: July 15, 2008, 07:00:21 PM »

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1688 on: July 16, 2008, 08:01:10 AM »
vortex.. thanks.. that was hilarious..  exactly what I am talking about.  the guy used a doubling to explain how we would need more electricity at my home than all the electricity used by man so far if I just lived long enough..  how we would run out by 1990..

But we didn't.. why?  because things change.. tech changes.. needs change.

exponential math is the tool of the panic monger... it brought us "the population bomb" where none of us would have more than 2 square feet of room to move around in by the year 2000..  it brought us the movie soylent green...

it doesn't even work for ant colonies.. but it does work to make a buck and scare the women and womenly men.

lazs

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #1689 on: July 16, 2008, 08:09:30 AM »
IF we lose gravity we are in for a hell of a ride.

I had a dream where that happened once.  Kinda like the opposite of a dream where you keep falling.  Instead I was just flying away.  Crazy stuff.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1690 on: July 16, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
Lazs, are you sure you understood it all?
Anyway, the start goes off as a constant. and it goes year by year.
Now we have numbers to go from, but in every item regarding GW for instance it is not and never has been such a constant.
And indeed, the annual % from comfy to toast only takes a very little time....

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1691 on: July 16, 2008, 11:44:43 AM »
I'm very sure lazs doesn't grasp half of what Dr Bartlett presented in his lecture. Unfortunately the majority of the population is like him, laughing and pointing finger at what they don't understand.

Edit: Did you see this quote? "Ignoring facts doesn't make them go away." One of the best I've seen concerning the global situation we're facing.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:46:54 AM by 33Vortex »

Truth has no agenda.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1692 on: July 16, 2008, 02:08:57 PM »
you guys crack me up.. you realize that his whole rap is based on exponential slight of hand... that always depends on everything staying exactly the same.

We were supposed to be shoulder to shoulder by now because of the population bomb..  it was based on exponential math.

By exponential math.. the planet should be three feet deep in ants by now.....

I would say to you..  ignoring all other possibilities and basing everything on exponential math is a sign of a very weak mind.

or..  someone who just loves doom and gloom.

lazs

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #1693 on: July 16, 2008, 02:57:36 PM »
you guys crack me up.. you realize that his whole rap is based on exponential slight of hand... that always depends on everything staying exactly the same.

Everything staying the same.  Hmmm... So the answer is to change the way we are using our resources and look for sustainabiltiy?  Brilliant!
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1694 on: July 16, 2008, 03:00:39 PM »
Everything staying the same.  Hmmm... So the answer is to change the way we are using our resources and look for sustainabiltiy?  Brilliant!

Oh geeee, I think this guy is ON TO SOMETHING!  :rofl

Great post!  :aok

Truth has no agenda.