Author Topic: General Climate Discussion  (Read 82721 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: General Climate Discussion
« Reply #1800 on: July 28, 2008, 03:50:48 AM »
We're talking about global temperatures, not local. If you want to talk local Idaho had a very cold winter lat year. Are you unaware of the overall stability and even decline in global temps worldwide? Egg on the face of the GAW high priests it seems.

My little country has a glacier who stores more thermal energy than the whole of Idaho.
And the oceans store at least 1000 times more thermal energy than the whole atmosphere.
Now THAT is global....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1801 on: July 28, 2008, 04:11:06 AM »
Oh, and an explanation needed....
Why is the SL rising if the Ice is increasing...oh increasing, yes...
http://www.ucar.edu/news/releases/2006/arctic.shtml
Some more here....we'll have to wait for the autumn to see if the record breaks...
http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/
Even more...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/science/21arctic.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
And Antarctica, well the word's been around that the sea ice is increasing. Well, it may be, but not from freezing, but Ice breaking off and scattering as well as plonking into the sea.
Now here's what I found in the Washington post though...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/02/AR2006030201712.html
"Melting agead of schedule".
Doh.
And Icing on the cake...Science daily:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080229075228.htm
"West Antarctic Glaciers Melting At 20 Times Former Rate, Rock Analysis Shows
"

Another Doh.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:13:38 AM by Angus »
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #1802 on: July 28, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »
Well in any case I do not fall into the gloom and doom.  I simply think its silly for people to continue to believe that we aren't "screwing things up" globally.

I DO want the TVA to clean up their act so my home will have air that isn't going to slowly kill me.  Thats something local that we can change.  But entrenched intersts continue to drag their feet and some of my favorite places to visit higher in the mountains continue to die off.  Just sad.

Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1803 on: July 28, 2008, 08:34:53 AM »
If you'd be a proper doomsday beliver, then you'd want to do nothing. (Except perhaps party).
That's why it always angers me getting called a doomsday sayer for pointing out a problem, - or a fact.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1804 on: July 28, 2008, 12:46:15 PM »
My little country has a glacier who stores more thermal energy than the whole of Idaho.
And the oceans store at least 1000 times more thermal energy than the whole atmosphere.
Now THAT is global....

Good point about the ocean warming. Tell me again how co2 can cause that without warming the atmosphere?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1805 on: July 28, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »
Water stores thermal energy better than air.
BTW, to repeat myself, I am not completely in on the CO2 as the biggest to blame. It's one of them but the biggest...I don't know....

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1806 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:07 AM »
Good point about the ocean warming. Tell me again how co2 can cause that without warming the atmosphere?
It is quite complicated but the ground is warming the atmosphere more than the atmosphere is warming the ground. The "hand waving" explanation is that the input energy is mostly around visible light wavelengths. The atmosphere is nearly transparent to these wavelengths and so this solar energy hits and heats the ground. The ground then heats the atmosphere by heat conduction and by emitting infra-red radiation that the atmosphere absorbs much better than visible light. 

The temperature difference between the surface and the atmosphere (and also between layers in the atmosphere - this is where most models are faulty) is very sensitive to the details of the radiation transfer as well as evaporation and condensation of water. The effect can be cooling of one and heating of the other and not necessarily "global warming" in the sense of "everything"  getting hotter.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1807 on: July 29, 2008, 02:26:08 AM »
And the temp difference causes...weather. With a "w" like in Wind ;)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1808 on: July 29, 2008, 10:59:42 PM »
I'm just a layman but it seems to me that the ground and ocean cannot be increasingly warmed by the "greehouse effect" unless the atmosphere is also increasingly warmed.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1809 on: July 30, 2008, 01:52:09 AM »
Well, AFAIK they're both.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1810 on: July 30, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »
Well, AFAIK they're both.

By both do you mean the atmospehere is currently warming? Now 'm back to the not for the last 10 years it isn't. Has the water been warming durring this period? If so, can it be due to the greenhouse effect?

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1811 on: July 31, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »
Is it warming?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html#q3
Or simply:

BTW, just to tease, my little country broke many temp records yesterday, and more are expected today.
Where I live we had some 30 deg celcius or more. The highest on records were 2007 and 2004, then you have to step back to 1974 and 1960, then the 20's and nada....nothing to compare.
Actually we are now in a cool trend...la nina.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ni%C3%B1a#Effects_of_La_Ni.C3.B1a

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #1812 on: July 31, 2008, 11:13:46 AM »
Is it warming?

No.
Arctic sea ice is not melting. Why? Is it colder than last year?  *clic*

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #1813 on: July 31, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »
No.
Arctic sea ice is not melting. Why? Is it colder than last year?  *clic*

You're not too smart... your own link show that there is less sea ice than last year.  Please figure out the area just to the north of Canada and relate that to the previous year. See where there was ice... and NOW there isn't, that it is just seawater?  Roughly the size of say, Alaska, relative to the map scale?  Also, move the scale a day in either direction.... you might see a little thing called statistical error crop it's ugly head.  Open ice in July doesn't close in a day, the size of the state of Connecticut.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #1814 on: July 31, 2008, 11:42:12 PM »
You're not too smart...

Smart or not, still there is about million square kilometers of sea ice more than last year. *clic*