Author Topic: General Climate Discussion  (Read 82702 times)

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
      • Strike Manufacturing Inc.
Re: General Climate Discussion
« Reply #1860 on: August 07, 2008, 08:00:55 PM »
Typically the denser and harder the rock is the more cracks there are in it that are water bearing. Softer rock will bend and fold when the earth's crust moves but harder rock such as granite and gniess will stress crack. The rock may appear solid but never is, there is always little crack fissures and faults in the hard rock that will let water pass through.  :aok
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"
You can be one but NOT both...

Fully Fledged Practising Atheist Bishop

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1861 on: August 08, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »
What I have of Greenlandic rock from the top of my head is that it's extremely hard and dense. So hard, that "normal" drills won't do.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1862 on: August 08, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »
What I have of Greenlandic rock from the top of my head is that it's extremely hard and dense. So hard, that "normal" drills won't do.

So why is it Greenland rock if it's from the top of your head?  :)
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1863 on: August 08, 2008, 04:23:32 PM »
I don't know what you refer to as "Normal" drills. The normal drill for drilling though hard rock would use a down the hole hammer to impact and break the rock and the air used in that process blows the cuttings to surface. These are used in hard rock areas of the world. Could also use a diamond core drill and core the rock. These process would see a production rate of 150 to 450 feet per shift. Doesn't really compare though to a mud rotary rig drilling clay getting 1,200'+ per shift.

PS hope the top of your head isn't as hard as Greenlands rock :rofl

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1864 on: August 09, 2008, 09:03:37 AM »
this thread isn't about general climate discussion or about global climate.. it is about greenlands climate.

lazs

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #1865 on: August 09, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
ZzzzzzzzZZZzZZzzZzz.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #1866 on: August 09, 2008, 05:17:39 PM »
Another alarmist joins climate realists.

http://www.greenworldtrust.org.uk/TransPlanet/Curious.htm

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1867 on: August 10, 2008, 09:34:06 AM »
yes..  A good site for anyone with an open mind is..

http://www.climate-skeptic.com/2007/09/chapter-9-skept.html

lazs

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1868 on: August 10, 2008, 02:14:45 PM »
this thread isn't about general climate discussion or about global climate.. it is about greenlands climate.

lazs

I thought you meant U.S. errr....global climate.
What you fail to realize is that the Greenland glacier, now elting faster than anticipated, contains more mass than the whole atmosphere over the USA. The difference is quite a bit, and the measurements in the retreating and melting ice are probably more accurate than air temps, especially since the glacier isn't exactly moving,,,like the wind. Ever think of that?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1869 on: August 10, 2008, 03:35:16 PM »
Ice melts. Water freezes and makes ice.
Nothing new.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1870 on: August 10, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »
That is true.
And species come and go. Some go because they cannot cope with their environment.
Civilizations come and go, and nations of power come and go. Here the "go" is often the result of arrogance and ignorance of what is really happening.
Carry on the Roman party, ....the ice will come and go anyway...

Offline Baitman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1871 on: August 10, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »
I woud not call it a roman party but moche party.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/peru_prog_summary.shtml

This is a link to a report on an old civilization in south america that had to deal with climate woes.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1872 on: August 11, 2008, 04:21:03 AM »
Wonderful link Baitman, very interesting. In a nutshell:
"Such a huge series of climatic extremes would have been enough to kill off an civilization – even a modern one."
Now it didn't kill them, it just screwed them up so they ended up killing themselves.
My Roman point was a non-weather one, but connected to resources, which is a global issue today.
The elite crossed all boundaries in leisurous life, and slowly the pillars of Rome went crumbling, for when strength was needed (the Huns), Rome was chopping at it resources....farming. Rome would sent the peasants to war in the late days, and carry on with the parties. Result: lack of production...
The French revolution was also related to famine first and foremost, - the people wanted bread and were fed up with the unrealistic lifestyle of the aristocracy. A little weather issue sent the country (and some others) into a hunger period, and all hell broke loose.
This is my "doomsday theory" regarding GW, - if so-and-so much happens, the western societies are going to have a bad time, and the civilization there may collapse.
You just see what starts happening in the U.S. in a power-out or some floodings, - imagine it would last for years....

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1873 on: August 11, 2008, 07:41:31 AM »
A few of these , if intense enough, and it will cool down nicely for you Angus.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080811/us_nm/airlines_alaska_volcano_dc

Just one of the few hundred things that cannot be predicted and factored in.
I have never seen someone complain so much over nice weather.
It would be like standing in the line at the cash register when bells and whistles go off then..................
"Sir you have won one million dollars for being our one millionth customer".
Then receiving the reply..."No way! I am not taking it. It is not normal".
Trying to relate the farce that you are clinging to ,when most everyone else has jumped ship, is a wee bit reaching to say the least.
Enjoy the weather you are getting.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1874 on: August 11, 2008, 08:29:06 AM »
You guys did notice in your ancient civilization thread that the climate change was attributed to el nino's?   funny how a radical 30 year climate change can be perfectly natural and normal in ancient times but now....

Today..  it has to be man made?   We had an el nino in 98 but that was man made?   still..  I don't know why those ancients didn't just get in their planes and fly to somewhere else where the climate was better.

lazs