Author Topic: General Climate Discussion  (Read 82698 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: General Climate Discussion
« Reply #2055 on: September 20, 2008, 01:39:26 PM »
SL is rising. Glaciers are shrinking. Quite logical I'd say.
Yet we have people here that claim it's cooling.
Now isn't that a bit silly ?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #2056 on: September 20, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »
Dudes and Dudettes...The Sun will envelop the inner planets.  Then and only then will the argument stop.   Ahhhh, the future will be so peaceful.

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #2057 on: September 20, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »
Did you even read what's in your hyper?

So, you don't believe in anthropogenic climate change, because it got warmer when the sun's solar wind was at a 50 year low?  Interesting, I'd like to hear your side of that.

Warmer? Mmgw is bs. This planet is cooling.

Tuesday we will get some interesting news form NASA.

Here is something from that project: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/20feb_coolmystery.htm

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #2058 on: September 23, 2008, 01:28:41 AM »
We'll see how SC24 goes.  Finally, three sunspots that have lasted more than a day, showed up.  It seems that even though the cycle started in January, that it's just getting warmed up.
With the posting of some new research http://www.newsminer.com/news/2008/jul/30/melting-permafrost-poses-threats-infrastructure-al/ on the melting of permafrost in Alaska and in Siberia......If this is finally the start of a new sunspot maximum, I think that we're all going to be very interested observers in, say 16 to 24 months... when the real output from the sun starts, combined with the gases already in the atmosphere.  There is a distinct probability that this "cooling off" period has simply coincided with the end of Cycle 23.  We'll just hafta see how this next few go.

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/mdi_mag/1024/latest.html

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:44:36 AM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #2059 on: September 23, 2008, 03:09:32 PM »
Warmer? Mmgw is bs. This planet is cooling.

Tuesday we will get some interesting news form NASA.

Here is something from that project: http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/20feb_coolmystery.htm

By the way... how do you get that anthropogenic climate shift is false... from a study that was surprised to find that one of the sun's poles is cooler than the other?  They since figured out why, and it is similar to the reasons why the south pole of the earth is colder than the north.   At no point in your link is there a causal link of any conjecture to the cooler south solar pole to the climate of the earth. 

Do you possess critical thinking skills at all???.... one must wonder.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #2060 on: September 23, 2008, 03:17:25 PM »
Here is news, cant tell is it good or bad. We will see.
This may be the reason why this planet is cooling.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/23sep_solarwind.htm

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2061 on: September 26, 2008, 02:40:09 AM »
"Not North America... Shasta's glaciers are growing, as well as some in Alaska."

I saw Mendenhall Glacier (Juneau) in July. Its shrinking. Very noticeablely.  Which ones are growing in Alaska?

Hubbard Glacier has been advancing for more than 100 years and has closed the entrance to Russell Fiord twice during the last 16 years, and was close to closing it again in spring 2008
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #2062 on: September 26, 2008, 03:31:21 AM »
Dudes and Dudettes...The Sun will envelop the inner planets.

That will probably happen a long time before you can beat me in a Hurri II Bear   ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:32:56 AM by Stalwart »

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2063 on: September 26, 2008, 01:25:59 PM »
Hubbard Glacier has been advancing for more than 100 years and has closed the entrance to Russell Fiord twice during the last 16 years, and was close to closing it again in spring 2008

How big is that one? I recall your quote on Mont Blanc as an example, but the size is like a peanut....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2064 on: September 26, 2008, 10:43:54 PM »
How big is that one? I recall your quote on Mont Blanc as an example, but the size is like a peanut....

Hubbard Glacier is a tidewater glacier in the U.S. state of Alaska and the Yukon Territory of Canada. From its source in the Yukon, the glacier stretches 122 km to the sea at Yakutat Bay and Disenchantment Bay. It is the longest tidewater glacier in Alaska, with an open calving face over ten kilometers wide.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #2065 on: September 27, 2008, 12:02:11 AM »

Let's just Debunk Hubbard first.

Hubbard Glacier is the largest tidewater glacier on the North American continent. It has been thickening and advancing toward the Gulf of Alaska since it was first mapped by the International Boundary Commission in 1895 (Davidson, 1903). This is in stark contrast  with most glaciers, which have thinned and retreated during  the last century.  This atypical behavior is an important example of the calving glacier cycle in which glacier advance and retreat is controlled more by the mechanics of terminus calving than by climate fluctuations. If Hubbard Glacier continues to advance, it will close the seaward entrance of Russell Fiord and create the largest glacier-dammed lake on the North American continent in historic times.

http://ak.water.usgs.gov/glaciology/hubbard/
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #2066 on: September 27, 2008, 12:03:46 AM »

Hubbard Glacier is the largest tidewater glacier on the North American continent. It has been thickening and advancing toward the Gulf of Alaska since it was first mapped by the International Boundary Commission in 1895 (Davidson, 1903). This is in stark contrast  with most glaciers, which have thinned and retreated during  the last century.  This atypical behavior is an important example of the calving glacier cycle in which glacier advance and retreat is controlled more by the mechanics of terminus calving than by climate fluctuations. If Hubbard Glacier continues to advance, it will close the seaward entrance of Russell Fiord and create the largest glacier-dammed lake on the North American continent in historic times.

All it takes is just a wee little bit of research there, Holden.
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2067 on: September 27, 2008, 12:21:29 AM »

All it takes is just a wee little bit of research there, Holden.

I saw that...  that a glacier can retreat and advance and not be an indicator of climate is kind of the point.

The snows of Kilamanjaro advance and retreat due more to local influences is kind of the point. 

That Shastas glaciers advance and retreat due more to local influences is kind of the point.

I was pointing out that "all the glaciers on all the continents are on the retreat" is not a factual statement.

All it takes is a wee little bit of research there, Moray.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #2068 on: September 27, 2008, 12:34:54 AM »
I saw that...  that a glacier can retreat and advance and not be an indicator of climate is kind of the point.

The snows of Kilamanjaro advance and retreat due more to local influences is kind of the point. 

That Shastas glaciers advance and retreat due more to local influences is kind of the point.

I was pointing out that "all the glaciers on all the continents are on the retreat" is not a factual statement.

All it takes is a wee little bit of research there, Moray.

I never said anything to the contrary....yet please look at the placement of the word "atypical".  Specifically in relation to THIS glacier.  Could you please tell the kiddies what "atypical" means again?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:39:38 AM by MORAY37 »
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2069 on: September 27, 2008, 02:55:17 AM »
I never said anything to the contrary....yet please look at the placement of the word "atypical".  Specifically in relation to THIS glacier.  Could you please tell the kiddies what "atypical" means again?

turtle.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.