Author Topic: Bombing in the F6F5  (Read 2394 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 02:31:52 PM »
Here are the sights that I use now. They are alpha (illuminated) sights.

You place both the ???.bmp and ???_alpha.bmp into the HTC\Aces High\sights directory and when choosing the sight in AH setup, you chose the ???.bmp

Fighter: Carefull here because it is named "default". This should automatically change all plane gunsights to this sight without a lot of effort

default.bmp

default_alpha.bmp

Jabo: For this sight I explicitly go into the AH setup and choose this one for all the planes that I use for JABO. The bottom dot is what I use to line up the bomb drop on. Usually try to get 45 degree angle on drop using the lower dot. This dot can also be used for planes that carry rockets. Same degree angle of attack ... I can let them go from 1.5 to 2K out and hit with reasonable accuracy.

default2.bmp

default2_alpha.bmp

Just right click on the images and download them.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 03:49:36 PM »
lol I found out the wordinator didn't like the name of the screenie.  I had it listed as rockets.......hit.  (Take the dots out and you have some very fast dung):rofl

Here we see the first rocket hitting the panzer like it was dracula.  This rocket is from the F6f's right wing.  This screenie would be testimony of  Mudr's words above.

[/IMG]

In this picture we see the second rocket hitting the map room (from the left wing of the F6f) and the third one about to hit the panzer.  The thing to note is had all the rockets missed as close as the map room rocket, there is still enough rocket blast to kill or damage the panzer.  You wouldn't have to aim "off" to get the hit as proved by the  "aiming" screen shot above.

[/IMG]

Here endeth the lesson:aok
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 04:14:02 PM by LYNX »

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 05:22:08 PM »
Thanks for the info, F6F is my favorite Jabo. I must have forgot but have had trouble hitting my mark with bombs the last couple weeks. Thanks again.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Here are the sights that I use now. They are alpha (illuminated) sights.

You place both the ???.bmp and ???_alpha.bmp into the HTC\Aces High\sights directory and when choosing the sight in AH setup, you chose the ???.bmp

Fighter: Carefull here because it is named "default". This should automatically change all plane gunsights to this sight without a lot of effort

default.bmp

default_alpha.bmp

Jabo: For this sight I explicitly go into the AH setup and choose this one for all the planes that I use for JABO. The bottom dot is what I use to line up the bomb drop on. Usually try to get 45 degree angle on drop using the lower dot. This dot can also be used for planes that carry rockets. Same degree angle of attack ... I can let them go from 1.5 to 2K out and hit with reasonable accuracy.

default2.bmp

default2_alpha.bmp

Just right click on the images and download them.

Thanks Slapshot.  I have not had a chance to use the two dot JABO yet, but I tried the single dot out last night in my Spit.  Loved it!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2007, 09:53:34 AM »
Originally posted by waystin2
Thanks Slapshot.  I have not had a chance to use the two dot JABO yet, but I tried the single dot out last night in my Spit.  Loved it!

Glad you liked the "Dot 'O Death" ... the "Double Dot 'O Death" works great too.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »
I'm not to bad a jabo pilot and love my rockets but for the longest time I just could not hit a tank or osti with one without it bouncing off and shooting up in the air. Just last week I got my first kill on one after many attempts. I did not record so I don't know where it hit but I do know that I just miss them quite often and never seem to get an assist. That leads me to believe that my rockets exploding right next to a tank or osti have no collateral damage affect, at least for me but does when used on m3's, 8's, pt's, and lvt's. It usually just takes one on them or near them.

Rockets don't seem to have a set convergence. You just aim a little left or right depending on which one fires off which wing. I use this method  for Gv's only since most other targets are larger. Great pics Lynx

Sketch has a picture of a BOMB bouncing off a tank which just don't seem right either. It was posted in Bug reports under rockets don't explode on Tanks

Originally posted by Sketch
It is coding in the game and I have sent in film and screen shots of bombs skipping off of GV's...  I know that is the point, never said he was wrong with it, but this goes right along with the lag in the game and planes colliding.  

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 07:44:36 AM »
I did not record so I don't know where it hit but I do know that I just miss them quite often and never seem to get an assist. That leads me to believe that my rockets exploding right next to a tank or osti have no collateral damage affect, at least for me

Firstly thanks for the picture complement.  Without wishing to seem controversial with respect to your rocket opinion.  GV's are coded with track damage.  Hence strafing Spitfires being registered for the kill on tanks after someone else really kills the thing.  It's in another thread that skuzzy replied to some time ago.

If your not at least getting an assist then I'm afraid to say your missing the target.  Near misses will generate track damage therefore giving you an assist.  Check that your salvo DELAY is at default which is .delay 0.05.  To much of a spread is akin to firing a single rocket.  A line of small explosions.  This is why I wrote above about using salvo's.  Single salvo for soft skinned armour as you already know.  Two salvo's of three (F6f) on moving heavy armour and salvo 5 on stationary armour.

If tanks can richoshay rounds off one another I don't see anything unusual about rockets richoshaying.  After all they are smaller in lethality than a tank round.  All I could recommend is perhaps a sharper angle of descent.

Rockets don't seem to have a set convergence. You just aim a little left or right depending on which one fires off which wing. I use this method for Gv's only since most other targets are larger. Great pics Lynx

Personally I aim at the target as seen in the "aiming" screen shot above. However, if aiming off either left or right is working for you then that's good.  May the force be with you :D

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 08:09:58 AM »
Good screens and explanation lynx! :aok

Now that's are Cv Col. LYNX :D

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2007, 08:50:50 AM »
Originally posted by A8TOOL
Rockets don't seem to have a set convergence. You just aim a little left or right depending on which one fires off which wing. I use this method  for Gv's only since most other targets are larger. Great pics Lynx

Originally posted by Pyro
Rockets do not converge.

That said, in the case of an F6F5, the inner rocket rails are within the length of a panzer, and the outer rocket rails are just outside that length.  So chances are good for getting a hit when aiming for center line.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: ROCKETS and GV's
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2007, 08:54:19 AM »
Originally posted by LYNX
I maybe wrong but I believe the convergence is 650.
Well, I just had to know...
Using the .target command it appears that at least up to 1000 yards, there is no convergences for rockets.  

I started at 200 and rockets did leave single "holes" in the target.  I progressively moved the target back to 1000 yards and always got 2 holes.  After that, it got too hard to lob rockets to get a reading (and I got bored).  

They may converge at some point, but it's hard to be sure what range that is.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2007, 08:55:53 AM »
I knew someone would have to go and test that even though I posted that information days ago :)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 09:10:17 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
I knew someone would have to go and test that even though I posted that information days ago :)
You did??  I guess I missed it (DUH!!!)..  Sorry...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
Bombing in the F6F5
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 09:14:56 AM »
Correct information is always a good thing in this forum :aok