Author Topic: My Nagant  (Read 954 times)

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
My Nagant
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 03:11:59 PM »
MT, which one do you go to? Next week I'm going to test this and 1911 I recently fixed.

Laz, are you talking about gravity or actual force?

Offline BiGBMAW

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
My Nagant
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »
yes we have Free Ranges in CA..I have a 300 Yd open air range Next to BEAL AFB...Home of the U2 and Global Hawk

Cement picnic tabel sto shoot from with berms at 50-150 an d200 ydswith the hillside being 310 yds

Free...You see Full autos shooting there everyonce in awhile...soemwhat isolated: )

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
My Nagant
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
actual force..you need a trigger scale.  it looks a bit like a fish scale that you hang a hook or pan from..  it is a spring in a tube that is measured in lbs.. the end is a hook that you hook around the trigger and then pull back the body watching the lbs.   you might be shocked at what you see.

I can judge light weights up to about 4 lbs.. like most single actions but.. am usually off quite a bit judging double action...  grip shape and size of hands can fool you... my hands are large and a gun with small grips will often feel like it has a heavier pull than it does while one that fits my hand will seem lighter.

lazs

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
My Nagant
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2007, 03:38:45 PM »
Originally posted by BiGBMAW
yes we have Free Ranges in CA..

Whew! I was going to say, the gun laws in CA seem strict enough.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
My Nagant
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2007, 03:39:48 PM »
I would bet that if you checked with local gunsmiths or shops one of them probably has a trigger scale

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
My Nagant
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2007, 03:42:47 PM »
We had a free range outside of Mt Home AFB back about 94.  Free if you volunteered to help upkeep the range and take care of.  Had covered shooting areas with built in benches and target stands at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.   All that was required was to clean up after yourself and come a couple times a year and paint or repair stuff when needed.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
My Nagant
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 07:07:53 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

I suggest that you put the trigger on a good trigger scale.   you will find the double action somewhere between 16 and 20 lbs if it is typical of the breed.

lazs

I don't have that type of a scale, but I did tie to the trigger a 10 pound weight and that almost made it....

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
My Nagant
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007, 09:06:07 AM »
That should work.. if you can do it with a known weight and imitate your trigger finger on the trigger.

lazs

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
My Nagant
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 08:50:40 PM »
Laz, so how many 120 years old revolvers can you compare to this?

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
My Nagant
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2007, 09:21:41 PM »
Originally posted by Russian
Laz, so how many 120 years old revolvers can you compare to this?

It seems to me that according to Lasz the stronger it kicks the better it is :D It's his comparison criteria.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
My Nagant
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 08:39:56 AM »
compare in what way?  

Smith and wesson had a top break 44 double action in 1881   colt had the lightning and thunderer.. and.. the excelent 1873.. before that.. there were factory conversions of cap and ball remingtons and colts.

All had twice the power of the nagant and were as well or better made.

The single action colts were much more powerful and faster to the first shot (the money shot) than any nagant could ever hope to be.. the top break guns were ten times faster to reload (sorta important in a military arm eh?) and...

twice as powerful.

as to kick... who cares?  not really noticable when you need to stop someone.. it is more than embarassing tho when your weak 100 grain bullet is stopped by a winter coat and some web gear.

There are a dozen guns made at the turn of the century mark that I would instantly choose over the nagant for defense.   If I were doing formalized target shooting competition at very close range...  like 25 yards.. the nagant would be fine.    

lazs

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
My Nagant
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 08:55:30 AM »
Originally posted by Russian
I don't have that type of a scale, but I did tie to the trigger a 10 pound weight and that almost made it....

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0003648210636a.shtml

You can also use the "Poor man`s" scale if you have something to weigh with at all.
Coat hanger bent a right angles  with a milk jug. Hang the firearm, then place the coat hanger with jug attached and add water until trigger releases. Weigh the entire assembly. Bingo. Not as accurate, but close.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:59:01 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
My Nagant
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 07:18:04 PM »
So today I took Nagant 1895 to de-virgining session. Also, I brought along a Colte Mk 4/ Series 70. Government model .45 that I recently cleaned/fixed, yet not fired.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_rOtg2Jf4A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_mVzVVPTUo
(jam in the end...lol)
Both, double action and single actions are too hard. I’m sure it can be modified, but right now in order to do ‘accidental’ shooting, one must pull 12-16 pounds.  
First grouping was a bit low, and way off to the left. I didn’t have any tools required to modify site at the range, but it can be easily done by few hammer hits ;) A typical rigid weapon design.

After 100 rounds, I can make decent grouping from both double action and single action which surprised me since with other revolvers that I experienced, double action usually is like shooting from a shotgun. It feels as Nagant gives me more warning when I about to fire from double action.
 I believe I require more shooting to show off my skills. I didn’t have anything to test power other than wooden post holding my target. Obviously 45 ripped that little plank to pieces and Nagant made a nice small hole.

Damage from 45
 Kickback feels slightly more than .22. It may do something because of ‘sports’ ammo which has much less power.

Conclusion.  
Nagant makes a good/decent sporting pistol. It makes a terrible military side-arm since reloading takes a ridiculously long time.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
My Nagant
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2007, 08:37:44 AM »
fun huh?    shooting double action is easier with some guns than others.. the nagant has a leaf spring like smiths and old colts.. they "stack"  if the sear is crude.. you actually can get a staging effect.  but.. any leaf spring gun will give you warning if you practice or get the feel for it.

That is why military rifles have the crude two stage trigger.. for people who are not experianced.

coil spring guns like the ruger have a different feel but there is a distinctive "notch" feel  before the hammer falls...  I sometimes pull right through it tho.. no big deal.

been practicing some double action with my K22 in the house with super colibri ammo (20 grain slug at 500 fps)  at thirty feet it will shoot under an inch or.. about a 2" group at 25 yards.   no recoil so I can practice trigger control and such.

lazs