Author Topic: manual trim  (Read 834 times)

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
manual trim
« on: October 31, 2007, 05:34:56 AM »
having just received my x52 and working the kinks out, I'm wondering about using manual trim (mapped to the rotaries).  First, do you guys map aileron trim?  I figure rudder and elevator are key, but what about the ailerons?  For the X52 guys, how do you map the rotaries?  2 bands, or 3 with a middle band as neutral?  Finally, most important, how do you use the things?  Is it just a matter of getting a feel for how much trim you need for each control surface at particular speeds?  Any primers out there?  Thanks, dhaus

Offline Trip01

• Copper Member
manual trim
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:22:52 AM »
I don't bother with rudder but I map aileron and elev trim. I adjust on the fly just as you would with a real aircraft - if you need to hold the joystick off-centre to maintain straight & level flight I adjust trim while moving the joystick back to the centre, keeping the plane level (or the nose where I want it).

I don't use the same joystick so I can;t help you with that.

Trip

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: manual trim
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:39:51 AM »
Originally posted by dhaus
having just received my x52 and working the kinks out, I'm wondering about using manual trim (mapped to the rotaries).  First, do you guys map aileron trim?  I figure rudder and elevator are key, but what about the ailerons?  

I don't even have rudder trim mapped to my stick, a it's only real use comes when having asymetrical thrust (one engine out in twin engine fighters).
Elevator is the key indeed, but I almost never use other trims so I don't have mapped them to my stick.

For the X52 guys, how do you map the rotaries?  2 bands, or 3 with a middle band as neutral?

If you are using Saitek's profiler software, you should go for the latter option. However, you can also map trim directly to your rotary in AH2. I did that with my X-45 rotaries and found it's much better - it allows faster and more precise control.

For example I fly with combat trim on, but have my elevator trim rotary set to a specific  position - for example "up" when about to dive in a P-38 or Bf 109 or some way "down" when entering a dogfight in a F4U. When the need arises, I can disengage combat trim with a single button (I have this also mapped to my stick) and will get my plane automatically trimmed according to my predetermined setting.

Finally, most important, how do you use the things?  Is it just a matter of getting a feel for how much trim you need for each control surface at particular speeds?

Basically yes. Practice offline or (preferably) in the training arena, you can get used to it quite fast. Also you may decide to use manual trim all the time or only when it's necessary and let do combat trim do the work most of the time (like I do).

Just in case you don't know it already: there is a writeup about trimming on the Aces High Trainer Corps website
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
manual trim
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 07:52:42 AM »
dhaus,
Have you seen this thread?  

It contains truths about analog trim that I've not seen anyone write about that anyone going to rotaries should know about.

Good luck!
The Hay Street Boys

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
manual trim
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 07:56:34 AM »
Thanks for all the info!  Homeboy, that is exactly the type of material I was hoping to get.  - dhaus

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
manual trim
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:19:16 AM »
I never manual trim ever and I seem to do ok. If I did manual trim, would that affect my flying much?

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
manual trim
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 08:59:30 AM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
I never manual trim ever and I seem to do ok. If I did manual trim, would that affect my flying much?

Personal preference I think.  I'm an old radio control pilot and just like controlling the plane myself.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
manual trim
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 10:03:47 AM »

Manual elevator trim up allows you to push beyond normal compression points in a lot of different planes, meaning you can dive faster without having to reduce throttle or, worse yet, auger.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
manual trim
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 10:04:10 AM »

Depends a bit on plane & playing style.

You don't need to manual trim all the time in any plane, but with planes like P38's, 109's and F4U's (to name a few) you really need to use trim at the edges of performance envelopes. For example getting your nose up in high speed dives or countering the massive pitch when deploying flaps (depending on plane).
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
manual trim
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 03:26:03 PM »

Fly a 38 or a ki84 with combat trim off and feel the difference.
See Rule #4

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
manual trim
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »

Latrobe, as a Spit driver you can offset the nose lift in a fast dive by trimming elevators down.  Just be careful not to pull out too hard though or you'll snap the wings.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
manual trim
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 06:36:54 PM »
I use an X52 and it was easier to set the rotaries up in AH.  I had tried it as bands in SST but found better control in-game.  If you do it just remember to calibrate them too since they are considered an "axis".  I also have my RPM's set up this way  I assigned the RPM to the large rotary, Aileron to the small one and elevator to the slider, keeps it all really handy in a tight turning fight.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
manual trim
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 06:43:45 PM »
I map aileron trim so I can recover plane before it hits ground after I lose half wing..aside from that, K and I are easy to find on keyboard in a pinch
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
manual trim
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 02:49:07 AM »
Using a CH Fighterstick I have all trims mapped to the 4-ways just below the 8 way hat.  Directly under the hat is pitch (fwd/back) and roll (left/right). To the left of that way is another hat. It's programmed to zoom map (fwd/back) and rudders (left/right) the red button top left on the stick is my map toggle (esc).

I constantly trim in climb. It becomes a simple affair to go in on a target, take a killing shot or miss, roll belly on and unload. Then pull for a 1K or 2K ROC and gently adjust trim from there. Most folks have a tendency to pull way too many G's which bleeds off E. Setting different climb rates to maintain a certain ROC makes life easy as it provides you with a guaranteed response to what you want the plane to do.  For instance, a pony can maintain approx 290 mph for miles at 2K roc after a dive in. Anyone you forced to break cannot maintain that speed with you. As you extend just turn left/right 90 degrees and continue a 2.5K ROC and he won't stay with you at all. A Yak can climb from takeoff to 16K at 230 mph. Not bad, but what's the ROC? If you know that you can pull to it in a fight and let the plane walk away from just about anything out there.

I also use trims for a wounded duck RTB. Lose half a wing? The trims are right there on my thumb hats. Adjust to maintain level flight using pitch and roll then adjust rudder so you don't fly in circles. You land your kills.

I think I counted up all the buttons and hats on my setup (stick and throttle) and came up with something like 39 functions. I use everyone of them. Why use a keyboard for anything but typing a message when you can have it at your fingertips?

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 02:51:35 AM by DamnedRen »

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
manual trim
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 09:01:08 AM »
Two aspects of flying without combat trim is diving survival and vertical maneuvers.  CT works based on the speed of the aircraft so in a steep dive, say, when you're dive bombing for example, with CT on, you continually get nose down pitch trim until it hits the stops.  This makes your elevator less responsive on the pull-out and usually forces me to make a hard manual pitch trim up adjust as I'm beginning to pull up.  The second is during vertical maneuvers.  As you zoom climb, your speed slows, and CT starts adding nose-up pitch trim.  As you stall out and come over the top, you'll have an extreme amount of nose-up trim in the aircraft, and will fight the nose-up tendency as you accelerate coming back down.  This is one reason you'll find most of the hardcore P-38 guys never use combat trim--very little lateral trim necessary due to the counter-rotating props that minimize lateral instability.  Then, they only have to manipulate the pitch trim to maximize their performance, either turning or in the vertical.

There are aircraft that I can't seem to keep trimmed up very well--mostly the high torque variety such as the 109's, Spit14, etc.  When I fly these aircraft, I usually manually engage combat trim.  After I started flying the P-47 quite a bit, I noticed it was very stable laterally, and required virtually no rudder or aileron trim once you were level and in cruise.  So, I started flying with no combat trim in most of the American rides as a result.  I almost never auger now coming out of dives, and when I do, its mostly when I have CT engaged.  Furthermore, you can get the most out of your zoom climbs and vertical stall maneuvers if CT doesn't give you full up pitch trim due to your speed low.  

From a hardware standpoint, I have a CH Throttle which has pitch and rudder trim mapped to a hatswitch.  I find I don't use aileron trim that much, unless I'm missing wingtips.  When I finally get my CH Fighterstick, I'll have all three axes mapped to get my hands off the keyboard.