Author Topic: fixed it...  (Read 765 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
fixed it...
« on: November 06, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »
I decided that I would replace a perfectly good CPU with a new dual core AMD 64 x2 4200+ , kind of on a whim.  

Probably the dumbest whim I've ever given in to.  

System will not boot up with the new chip, no beeps or boops or nothing.  HDD light comes on and stays on, monitor doesn't come on at all.  

I've got a A8N-SLI Premium motherboard, and it is compatible with the new chip according to the mobo maker.  

I'd love to replace the old chip, but I apparently managed to bend the ever loving @#$@#%@#%$@ out of the pins taking it out.  

I know the chip is in there right, I matched up the corner right, the fan locks down no problem at all, no forcing at all.

Please help me out, I'm at wits end.

FIXED IT... please delete it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:09:50 PM by Urchin »

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Well... I really need some help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:16:12 PM »
What was it?

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:48:23 AM »
Forgot to lock the chip in place with the little post looking thing... I didn't raise it to put the chip in then lower it, I just put the chip in and put the fan on over it.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 07:11:26 PM »
Well congratulations on getting it up and running!

I have to say.. it takes a real man to admit to doing something like that!  Just look on the bright side.. that's how we learn!  You won't make that mistake again!  Haha... enjoy!

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Forgot to lock the chip in place with the little post looking thing... I didn't raise it to put the chip in then lower it, I just put the chip in and put the fan on over it.

Dont feel bad, my dad left the plastic cover on his dual core chip and installed it, and wondered why his wouldnt "beep" on POST too :).

Balsy

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 04:58:55 PM »
HAHA my plastic cover had in BIG BRIGHT letters "REMOVE FIRST".. kind of hard to miss.

I remember installing an old Pentium processor wrong back in the day.. I didn't know about the corner notch... needless to say the pins were pretty much toast!

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »
I thought Skuzzy said the 'AMD' dual cores presented some grief to AH, unlike the Intels of same variety?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »
Originally posted by bj229r
I thought Skuzzy said the 'AMD' dual cores presented some grief to AH, unlike the Intels of same variety?

AMD DC proc with xp work wonderfully once fixes are applied.
See Rule #4

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 10:22:40 PM »
Mine really does work wonderfully actually.  

I did have to install the little patch thing, and I think I told it to run in Windows 98 compatibility mode, but I can now run it with the 512 textures (instead of 256) and maintain a solid 60 FPS through any and all action.  

Smoke, trees, lots of planes, whatever... stays rock solid at 60.  

Running an AMD 4200+ CPU (2.4 Gig dual core), an old ATI x800 Pro PCI-e video card, and 3 Gigs worth of RAM.  

Its pretty awesome actually, and the planes are much prettier with the 512 textures compared to the 256 ones.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »
Urchin I can run 1024 textures with a setup one or two steps under yours, no hiccups of any sort (or rarely when i leave explorer.exe running).
That's a slower video card than mine, but the CPU and ram are 600 "MHz" faster and three times larger respectively... I'm pretty sure 3GB should be enough for 1024.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 06:18:40 PM »
i thought that explorer.exe was necessary for XP to run.

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 11:14:16 AM »
Originally posted by clerick
i thought that explorer.exe was necessary for XP to run.

After reading this i added explorer.exe to the list for fsautostart to stop and restart.  
I have trackir as the main program, a 5 second delay, then set aces high as the 2nd program to start.

When i'm done with the session. i exit, then quit ah, which brings me to the desktop.  The desktop has the trackir box open and the desktop picture, that's it.   I close trackir, and all the processes re-start, including explorer.exe and everything goes back to normal.

So it works without a problem, in fact everything seems to run smoother.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 06:23:31 PM »
Jacked it up to 1024 textures... runs smooth and it is beautiful.  Thanks moot :)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 08:02:17 PM »
I've an inquiry about FSautostart--I see TONS of 'processes' I can manually stop from task bar, but only 'services' and 'programs' can be fiddled with via FSauto...what is best way to do this? (I presently start off with some 46 processes and 4-5 programs, it gets down to some 25 processes....about 5 of which are attributed to Norton and refuse to stop)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline porkfrog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 10:20:40 PM »
This is one of the better threads I've read in awhile. Some good she-ite your discussing.

Ive always wondered about all the processes-which ones you needed and which ones you didn't.
-JoLLY
Pigs On The Wing