Author Topic: Why can't I see the tank that sees me?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Meth88

• Zinc Member
Why can't I see the tank that sees me?
« on: November 08, 2007, 01:05:20 PM »
This happen a lot when I'm a good distance away, almost max gun range in my T34, I'll start picking off ground targets on a base or field. After a few shots they usually make my position and I can see fire directed at me but I cant see the actual tank that's that shooting no matter how much I zoom in.

Is there something these other tanks are doing that enables them to see (through the gun sight) further than me?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 01:14:39 PM »
You need to set your view distance to ground targets. Press Shift f3 (I think it is) and you'll be able to see the tanks at long distances.

Offline Castedo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
You need to set your view distance to ground targets. Press Shift f3 (I think it is) and you'll be able to see the tanks at long distances.

Its Shift F4 for ground view.  Also if you set detail to minimum, you will see gvs through trees and mountains.  Just try to move the sliders all the way to the right in ground and objec detail, in options preferences (not sure here, look for it in options).

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 07:01:48 AM »
Originally posted by Castedo
Its Shift F4 for ground view.  Also if you set detail to minimum, you will see gvs through trees and mountains.  Just try to move the sliders all the way to the right in ground and objec detail, in options preferences (not sure here, look for it in options).

kind of lame IMHO :D
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Castedo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 02:05:50 PM »
Originally posted by goober69
kind of lame IMHO :D

He asked and got an answer!  Noob.  :D

Offline Rabies_II

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:35:52 PM »
Turning the graphics down is indeed what happens. Trees dissappear, and you see tanks floating in air when they are on hills that have now become transparent. That is why when you are behind hills you hear shells thumping into the otherside and you have never "from your perspective" been seen by the opposing side.  The ability is to make the game playable for systems with less resources, however it is abused to give players an edge so they can see/shoot you and you have no idea how as the shots appear to be coming from places where you see no tanks. I agree it is lame, but very common.

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 06:21:54 PM »
Originally posted by Castedo
He asked and got an answer!  Noob.  :D

Who's the noob?   :D
325th Checkertails

Offline odin3

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.vmfblackjacks.com
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 06:34:35 PM »
i think cast called goob a noob, but yet, looks like there is a 3-4 month difference between the two. lol.. and i agree, its lame.. I play to have fun, but it sucks when you're out there, get shot, cant see someone and find out they are behind a mountain, then i found out that alot of people turn the graphics down to see people you normaly cant see.. I know the S word is not well liked here, but in my opinion, thats what they are doing.. ya. we all could do that, but wheres the fun being able to see someone through a hill or a mountain... i know its cartoon stuff, but come one people.. not all people play that low..

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:05:04 PM »
Everyone is a noob atleast once. Even I saw one once :O .

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 07:16:23 AM »
Originally posted by Rabies_II
Turning the graphics down is indeed what happens. Trees dissappear, and you see tanks floating in air when they are on hills that have now become transparent. That is why when you are behind hills you hear shells thumping into the otherside and you have never "from your perspective" been seen by the opposing side.  The ability is to make the game playable for systems with less resources, however it is abused to give players an edge so they can see/shoot you and you have no idea how as the shots appear to be coming from places where you see no tanks. I agree it is lame, but very common.

This is precisely why vision distance needs to be tied to the other sliders.
See Rule #4

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 07:42:59 AM »
another reason not to gv for me.
not like i dont already suck at it though.
just another example of gamer behavior. no problem really.
and yes i have been playing the game for over a year now so i
would not call myself a noob. as i do not need to resort to a cheat.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 07:47:44 AM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
Everyone is a noob atleast once. Even I saw one once :O .

the way u fly id never thought u had ever been a noob lol
:D

:noid

well only 90 more perkies to go and i can take the jet  out once to lose it lol
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Castedo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 09:58:44 AM »
If you use in game is you option, you should however be aware of it.  And preaching just because information is given is lame, NOOB :lol

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 06:00:47 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
This is precisely why vision distance needs to be tied to the other sliders.

Or, so the playing field is leveled, GV sorties should be started in this graphic setting by default.

It is a little gamey, however, its only gamey if the other guy doesnt know you are doing it. If both are doing the same things (turning self-engine/track noise off and lowering graphic settings) then the playing field is the same as if the settings were at default.

My point is, rather than complain about it being done, or legislating rules to stop it, make sure EVERYONE knows how to do it. At that point its up to the individual wether they go in to a level playing field, or go in with a disadvantage.

Just my $0.02.
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 07:27:57 AM »
Originally posted by Coshy
Or, so the playing field is leveled, GV sorties should be started in this graphic setting by default.

It is a little gamey, however, its only gamey if the other guy doesnt know you are doing it. If both are doing the same things (turning self-engine/track noise off and lowering graphic settings) then the playing field is the same as if the settings were at default.

My point is, rather than complain about it being done, or legislating rules to stop it, make sure EVERYONE knows how to do it. At that point its up to the individual wether they go in to a level playing field, or go in with a disadvantage.

Just my $0.02.

sensible but its still lame lol
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V