Author Topic: Bf 109G-14  (Read 695 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Bf 109G-14
« on: November 19, 2007, 03:04:12 PM »
Hello German plane pilots. I have been flying all sorts of different planes lately (P-40's, P-38's, 190's, 109's, yaks, etc etc) and have found the P-40 and 109's the funnest. The P-40 is a fun plane but I really would like to learn these 109's more.

So, what advice do you guys have for the 109G-14 (my fav or the 109's)? What gun-package should I use for what situation? Should I use the wing mounted 20mm's? What is usually the first thing to break on it? Any advice is greatly appreciated ty.

(I don't think I'll be flying the 109K-4. Used it a few times and could get into it: to little ammo, and just didn't feel well)

Offline SuBWaYCH

• Silver Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 04:40:24 PM »
Furball: 1 20 mm cannon, 75% fuel. This is best suited for furballing because of weight.
Attack: 1 20 OR 30 mm cannon, 500 kg bomb, 2 gondies, choice of fuel. Best attack loadout right there.
Buff Huntin: 1 30 mm cannon, 2 gondies, 100% fuel and DT.

Advantages to G-14 over K-4 are:  Firepower, Turn Radius, and Ord loadout.

Same between both planes: Survivabilty (I think), and Roll rate.

Disadvantages to G-14 from the K-4 are: Climb Rate, E retention, speed over 15 k.

Best way to fly it: BnZ isn't a good style for the G14, in my opinion. Best used as a turnfighter, and try to keep your E as much as possible, although it isn't a terrible aircraft in the slow speed turnfight. Coming into a furball with a little altitude wouldn't be bad either.
Then again, G-2, in my own opinion, is by far best 109 in the game...

Hope this helps

Regards,
Subway
Axis C.O. for Battle of the Dnieper, Winter '43

Air superiority is a condition for all operations, at sea, on land, and in the air. - Air Marshal Arthur Tedder

364th Chawks

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:05:36 PM »
Hey Lat,

the G14 is one of my favs,get used to flying it heavy,DT,gondolas. full tank.
 I load the 30 mm hub gun,cuz ya gotta luv them Tatters,but it runs out quickly so best to have gondies as backup.

If ya get used to flying it heavy,in the TA,it only gets eazier to ly at lighter loads and higher burn rates. The 14 may not be as fast as K4,but it has more options.

Next time ya see me,I'd be happy to help.....:aok

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:44:41 PM »
The G14 is a great plane.

I only take the single 20mm. Gondolas are a huge never, due to their performance hit, and I figure if I wanted the 30mm I would just take the K4 instead.

People underestimate the turning ability of the G14 with flaps deployed. However, it is also best to always turn when possible with your nose over the horizon. The power of the G14 will allow it to maintain corner velocity in a spiral climb for much longer than most of your opponents, particularly the American planes.

Be very wary of high speed elevator unresponsiveness

If you begin to learn to account for the snap roll tendencies of the G14 (due to tremendous engine torque), you can actually anticipate it and use it to your advantage when the time is right for that manuever.

Finally, you have 9 minutes of WEP. Don't be afraid to use it.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:00:09 AM »
I have to say, trying to fly a 109 like a spit is tough :p . I've been testing with the 109 and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it! Got atleast 15 kills in it today out of 7 sorties (including 6 in 1 sortie :D  ). I'll have to try out the G-2 and G-6 tommorrow.

Offline Angrist

• Nickel Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 02:15:10 AM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
I have to say, trying to fly a 109 like a spit is tough :p . I've been testing with the 109 and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it! Got atleast 15 kills in it today out of 7 sorties (including 6 in 1 sortie :D  ). I'll have to try out the G-2 and G-6 tommorrow.

Nice Latrobe!

I've only been flying rougly 2 months, and strictly German planes 1 week.  The G14 so far is definitely becoming my favorite, but I'm far from your tally, as of yet.  My best has been 4 in 1, but many more have been far less...lol.

I'm enjoying flying it though, and I've really liked flying the G-2 and F-4 also.  All are a great challenge, compared to Spits and such.

G'luck man, and keep flying the German Iron:aok

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 02:57:18 AM »
The best 109 pilots master the 30mm spud cannon. Much more efficient than the 20mm even with the reduced ammo. Overall, 109s offer the best package for "energy knife fighting". Damn nasty in the hands of a skilled player. K4 is definitely perk worthy, awesome feeling of power to the point that it is not fun anymore - like in the tempest.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 06:00:43 AM »
I've been flying the g14 for under 2 tours now and am really enjoying it.  It's a nice plane that can mix it up and when in trouble spiral climb away.  

I've been flying with the single 20mm and it's enough to down most fighters at close range with a single burst.  I've collided a fair number of times, i'm wondering if i open fire too close.  I've been toying with the idea of the 30mm, but i enjoy deflection shooting and i'm unsure if the 30mm will suit my shooting style.  I've used the 30mm a couple of times in the past and i just can't get the feel of its ballistics (which i know is as bad as can be).  i'ma  fairly good shot but i simply can't aim with the tater gun

I'm gonna spend some time in the DA/TA soon, my defensives need work on as i've spent most of this tour climbing away if in trouble.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 11:02:10 AM »
ive said it before but i will say it again!
find Lengro in TA or DA, he is a 109 master and very helpfull if you ask him (better if you speak danish).

S!
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 02:14:17 PM »
I find flying without the 30mm is better than flying with it lately. It's pretty easy to kill planes (and bombers) with 20mm's and 13mm's. What's really surprised me last night though was the ability for the 109 to keep turn fighting with most other planes at low speed!

P-40E rules! though. Flying it without a gunsight and land 4-6 kills most sorties in it :D .

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 11:15:26 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
find Lengro in TA or DA, he is a 109 auger-master and very helpfull if you ask him (better if you speak danish).

fixed!

ty Bat, but a master - lol, no way :)

About the G14 - Trotter nailed it in his above post.

In turnfights I would add:
Don't be afraid to push the 109 very hard, if you get over the limit, most times they are very easy to recover.
I like to set all trim to neutral, it helps me to sense the level of the engine torque.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Dutchie

• Copper Member
Bf 109G-14
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 11:50:52 AM »
Originally posted by bozon
The best 109 pilots master the 30mm spud cannon. Much more efficient than the 20mm even with the reduced ammo. Overall, 109s offer the best package for "energy knife fighting". Damn nasty in the hands of a skilled player. K4 is definitely perk worthy, awesome feeling of power to the point that it is not fun anymore - like in the tempest.

Very true  :aok

In a stall fight, don't fight the stall and the snap roll, but use it :)