Author Topic: P-40 tips?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 08:51:12 PM »
Great write-up FiLtH!:aok

Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 12:24:39 AM »

Latrobe nailed it.    8k is about as high as I go in a P40. Sometimes I might put it higher but rarely. Thats a transit alt to target area. Once there and in it..3k  to deck is about the norm.

~AoM~

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 11:55:09 PM »
Nice post Filth...

Thanks for some tips!!!

<>

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 01:40:53 AM »
:lol  I just completly guessed. I have to say, I'm impressed with the P-40. At high speeds it can turn with most other planes (not all), and at slower speed its STILL a great turner. Just now I was in a 1 on 1 with a La-7. He ended up on my tail, co-speed, I did a hard turn, and actually out turn him for a bit. Did a few moves, ended up in a rolling scissors, he leveled off and I'm directly below him. I roll back up over him, canopy to canopy, we wave to each others, and he breaks hard. I'm still at pretty high speeds still, I stay right with him, und up low and slow and still turning with a la-7. Outcome was innevitable, I got a kill.

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 11:16:38 PM »
The 40 it is totally underestimated in the LW arenas.

Not only that it is a magnet for every plane within 10 sectors... someone yells P40 and your in a gaggle of planes in 5 minutes:D

The most fun is diving into a swarm of planes and having like 6-7 of them chasing you to see how long you can last...

I always think of Humbles avatar.... I can here the screams MINE MINE MINE MINE funny as heck...

:aok

Offline p40love

• Zinc Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »
Ok well the p-40E has been my plane for the 3 months ive played AH i just got in it and learned its every bit and bob from top to bottom and now when im in a p-40E im a force to be reckoned with. I play on latewar MA servers and land 7-8 kills in 1 hour of play easily. Tips from me would be dont join a huge furball cos you'll die. Look around at airfields to find a group of enemys in 2's or 3's and go for them. Save your WEP until you get in the fight. USE YOUR FLAPS!!!!!. Dont be scared of other planes except another p-40. And just practice. Well i have been playing AH for 3 months now subscribed and all, but since i've started the only plane i used was the p-40E. Now i still fly the p-40E and i land p-51's, spits, la-7's and all sorts that have many advantages. The reason im saying this is that if you pick a plane that has many disadvantages in the beginging you learn to control harder planes and adapt, but when you grab a pony or spit you go to a plane with more advantages which teachs you nothing in my opinion. I feel that there are no dweeb planes only dweeb pilots. My example of this is a pilot who flys a plane that is too good for him, A pilot who butts into your 1on1's when you and another enemy are having a duel or something and he comes flying in even though you dont need help and shoots the enemy, that pisses me off the most of all. so really if your new to AH grab a zero or a p-40 or a 47 and train to its learning curve so when you do fight a better plane than yours you'll have jst as much of a advantage as he does.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
P-40 tips?
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 11:25:30 AM »
Originally posted by p40love
Ok well the p-40E has been my plane for the 3 months ive played AH i just got in it and learned its every bit and bob from top to bottom and now when im in a p-40E im a force to be reckoned with. I play on latewar MA servers and land 7-8 kills in 1 hour of play easily. Tips from me would be dont join a huge furball cos you'll die. Look around at airfields to find a group of enemys in 2's or 3's and go for them. Save your WEP until you get in the fight. USE YOUR FLAPS!!!!!. Dont be scared of other planes except another p-40. And just practice. Well i have been playing AH for 3 months now subscribed and all, but since i've started the only plane i used was the p-40E. Now i still fly the p-40E and i land p-51's, spits, la-7's and all sorts that have many advantages. The reason im saying this is that if you pick a plane that has many disadvantages in the beginging you learn to control harder planes and adapt, but when you grab a pony or spit you go to a plane with more advantages which teachs you nothing in my opinion. I feel that there are no dweeb planes only dweeb pilots. My example of this is a pilot who flys a plane that is too good for him, A pilot who butts into your 1on1's when you and another enemy are having a duel or something and he comes flying in even though you dont need help and shoots the enemy, that pisses me off the most of all. so really if your new to AH grab a zero or a p-40 or a 47 and train to its learning curve so when you do fight a better plane than yours you'll have jst as much of a advantage as he does.

dude, you have 12 kills in a p40 in the last 2 months, average of 1.2 kills an hour OVER ALL. Don't come in here spreading .....well you know what.... on stuff that people can easily check.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
dude, you have 12 kills in a p40 in the last 2 months, average of 1.2 kills an hour OVER ALL. Don't come in here spreading .....well you know what.... on stuff that people can easily check.

Last night this kid, he goes by "P47Love", kept sending me join squad requests even when I told him to stop it. After repeated requests by me he sent 3 in a row real fast in an obvious attempt just to harass me. I was busy picking off targets in a Jabo, and getting chased doing it, so I didn't have my screen up to squelch him. Eventually i had to bring it up, find him, and squelch him. The kid ruined my attack run.

It just shows you what were dealing with here. As if you needed to know. I'll bet hes like 12yo.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
P-40 tips?
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 02:26:38 PM »
I like to lie about my kills.

You've got 12 kills in the past 2 tours.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »
Someone got caught.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2008, 09:06:08 AM »
Last week I got into it with a chog and a 1a hog tag teaming me. I wasn't really in too much trouble, only I was slow on climbout and they were high and fast. Good thing they sucked totally, but the funny thing is I lost a flap when it was down a lot, so I'm trying to recover (other flap had retracted) and IT is shot off....

.... at a different setting!

LOL that was a "fun" landing!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
P-40 tips?
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

ok...first off, i shouldn't even be typing this as i havre sooo many errands and no time......but your post reeks of blatent stupidity.
you are right, that in the right hands the P40 is  force to be reckoned with(1Duke1 comes to mind)
 what you're VERY wrong about though is that you cannot learn anything by flying planes such as the spit zeke, or hurri, because in fact you CAN. in fact, you CAN learn 'SOMETHING from virtually ANY plane that you choose to fly and fight in. when i first subscribed, i immediatly jumped into the pony. big mistake.....i died a lot.....normally before i could even fire a single round. i next went to the p38....another mistake...sorta,,,,,,i got fairly good in it..as long as i was bomber hunting, or picking the cherry pickers.....but once again, in a 1-1 or  a 1-2, co alt, i died generally before i could fire a round. i tried to stay outa the spits(used to hate them from the old AW3 days), but finally decided to try one. my first though......HOT DAMMM!!!!! i got a kill!!!!! so for awhile now, i've been switching off between the spit 5, 9, or 16, the hurri2c, and the zekes......these all havre an "easy button in them" BUT........guess what???? i LEARNED something in these rides. actually quite a bit. i LEARNED to put manuevers taught to me into practice, as now i could survive long enough to actually fight. i LEARNED to use my rudders more. i LEARNED some e management, as with the exception of the spits, all of these rides are kinda slow. i LEARNED to dodge the HO when i se a hurri comin at me. do ya get the point here?? in the 38, hungint buffs, i LEARNED to take quick off angle shots so the 12 50 cals didn't rip me apart.  in the 38 pickin the cherry pickers, i LEARNED to judge when he was about to stall, and how to sometimes stay out of his views as i shot him. in the slow rides i LEARNED to take quick snapshots. in all of these rides i LEARNED situational awareness(very important if ur in a zeke in a furball......i've lit the sky more than my share of times as i shed parts into my enemy's prop:D ) if you wanna talk flap management, try a 38 or 51....or i hear even the f4u has good flaps. as far as the pilot thst buts into your fight..if it's an enemy, your opponent may have been slling for help....and if he kills you, hopeful;ly you LEARNED something from that.......like to keep looking around. if it's a friendly, and you seem him comming in, and you don't want the help, then ask him to stay out.....most will.....i generally ask on VOX, and if the guy says he's ok, i either go look for another fight, or i circle to see who wins...if the friendly loses, i dive in....if he wins.......well....better for him.

now, i'm finally moving onto more difficult rides again. i fly midwar, so i've been  getting back in the pony B, F6F, and the  38J(i'll go for the G soon). and guess what(again)? i'm LEARNING that the lessons i've LEARNED in the easier planes are helping me. i actually out turned a spit the other day in my F6F..and it was my first time in that plane.... in the pony B, i managed to turn with a spit for 2 or 3 turns, during which time i did get one good burst into his underbelly and wing...... but then i had to disengage and rebuild speed........

my point is, that no matter what you choose to fly, you'll learn something.....if you don't then you're doing something wrong.......

to all you new guys..........don't let ANYONE tell you that you're in a dweeb plane.....fly what works for you as you learn. the curve is a bit steep.....and there are awsome trainers that're always willing to help. also, if you've got basic flying skills, there's many a player that'll help too........just ask nicely

and dude......i think you were busted on your ranting about landing kills..........:O

<>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 04:58:48 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
Last night this kid, he goes by "P47Love", kept sending me join squad requests even when I told him to stop it. After repeated requests by me he sent 3 in a row real fast in an obvious attempt just to harass me. I was busy picking off targets in a Jabo, and getting chased doing it, so I didn't have my screen up to squelch him. Eventually i had to bring it up, find him, and squelch him. The kid ruined my attack run.

It just shows you what were dealing with here. As if you needed to know. I'll bet hes like 12yo.

When you enter the arena type .showjoin 0

That will place all join requests in the text buffer and get rid of those annoying pop-up's.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: P-40 tips?
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 12:56:12 AM »
Originally posted by Max
Any of you P-40 jocks have any tips for maximizing the strenghts of the P-40?

hey max.......there's quite a few good p40 drivers here.....but 1Duke! sticks out in my mind.....he was in a 40E i think, me in spit5.......he easily outflew me.....not by keeping his speed up, but by turning with me.......he literally outflew me.....and kilt me too......excellent pilot.....i've flown with him too......bet he can help ya a LOT........

<>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline uberslet

• Silver Member
P-40 tips?
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 06:02:47 AM »
some1 lieing again? must be a beginner :rolleyes: nothin new
MasonZ - In-game ID
=Wings of Terror= - MA Squad
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato