Author Topic: Radical Changes on CV 5" Guns Needed  (Read 3428 times)

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Radical Changes on CV 5" Guns Needed
« on: November 24, 2007, 09:42:17 AM »
You know how CVs are bootable by rank?.....i.e., if a relatively new player  with a 3000+ rank decides to steer the cv into a base that has both shore battery's up (or just as bad...steer it right into the enemy's PT boat spawn)...a more experienced player with a lower rank can bring some experience to the situation by booting them and taking over command of the cv, and steer it away from danger?

I believe the same option needs to apply to the 5" guns on all CV's...and here's why...

This is a multiple times a day occurance:

1) CV is sent toward enemy base.  

2) Just as enemy planes spot it, folks with 3000+ ranks who can't hit the broadside of a barn with a basketball flock to the 5" guns like moths to a lightbulb...blocking anyone else from using them

3) Enemy planes and bombers fly in basically unopposed as unskilled gunners squat in 5"ers...shooting at P-51's that have already dropped ther eggs and missed...instead of the B26's that are now less than 6K out...(just now, the gunners in the 5" didn't even fire on the B26's until they were 3K out.....and had already dropped their eggs.)

4) Bombs whistle down.........and cv dies and sinks.  

5) Said gunners go to yet another cv and do the same thing all over again.

HTC....PLEASE make the 5" guns on CVs BOOTABLE based on rank.

When a critical base take is underway, and bombers or heavy fighters are inbound to the cv....do you really want to trust the future of the entire  operation (or even a large mission) to the 3000 rank guy in the 5"ers as the bombers come in?

I'd want the option to boot 'em and take over the 5" and kill the bombers before they kill us.

Please do not move this topic to the Wishlist Forum, and it will get lost and never get addressed.

If there is an option for a more experienced countryman to take over and save a cv...it only makes sense that the same should apply to the 5" guns that defend it as well.

68ROX

Offline hyster

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 10:43:41 AM »
how can a newbie gain experience if they keep getting booted out of the guns?

i do see your point though about newbie's not killing the attacker's quickly enough or not at all.

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:46:24 AM »
S!

gotta disagree on that ideal.  there are lots of restrictions already that take away from the fun of the game.  (ENY, map caps, un-capturable bases)

imho, we dont need another.  as usual, the cv will be bombed by buffs and it will respawn and hopefully those in the fight will just laugh and smile and play on   :)

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 10:48:13 AM »
I want, I want, I want......

Mine, mine, MINE, MiNe, miNE, MinE...

It really is fine the way it is.

Ren

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 10:53:54 AM »
Experienced players wouldnt have to worry so much about manning 5in guns if there were say, oh a few fighters at 10k over the CV waiting for the inevitable bomber strike.
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Radical Changes on CV 5" Guns Needed
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:55:59 AM »
Originally posted by 68ROX

HTC....PLEASE make the 5" guns on CVs BOOTABLE based on rank.

I don't care for this, and here's why...

How is a new player going to develop the gunning skills required if a higher ranking player kicks them out every time enemy aircraft show up?

Everyone is entitled to the same opportunities to play.

My only complaint about how CVs are managed is that no one should be able to control a CV unless they are physically within the radar circle or aboard one of the ships in the formation, as a minimum. This would prevent anyone from redirecting a CV why they are sitting in a tower on the opposite side of the map.

In fact, I'd like to see more reality in that to command a CV, you must be aboard the CV or the Cruiser. Not flying, and not running LVTs. A simple way to do that is if you have command (in the Task Group command menu on the clipboard), spawning any plane or vehicle is disabled. If no one commands the CV (in the menu), then you can redirect the CV if within the radar circle, but not take command (so that your name appears in the command menu).

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:02:33 AM »
S!

hiyas widewing! (109 dweeb)  :D

S!

good points btw.....

i dont think there is really a good fix that will benefit all.  the cv wil die.  no matter how many man the guns or cap, it will be sunk.  just something that people need to accept.

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
Why? Just to make a CV last 5 minutes longer?

CVs die anyway no matter what the gunner. All the gunner is doing is extending the time on it being up by killing bombers and jabo planes. Sooner or later a jabo plane will sneak in and kill a couple 5" guns, and now it is open for full attack.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »
Is there instruction somewhere on how to properly use the 5 inch guns?  And please don't respond with "search is your friend"  or "try the trainers page".  I will do both but often there are old threads that are hard to find.  I can find things on my own, but it's not always very easy.

68ROX,

How about tips on how to use them rather then suggest that new players not use them.  :)
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »
Whoops, guess Ishould have looked before I posted.   There is a section on the Trainers page on task force operations that includes a writeup on ship and shore guns.  

I'm in the around 3,000 rank group but I try to learn a little before I jump into something different.  I agree with Widewing that those of us who are less experienced should be allowed to learn by experience in the game.  I would also encourage the less experienced to put in a little study and practice time before jumping in.  I will definately read the stuff on the trainers page before I jump in a 5 inch gun.  Sorry 68ROX but I'll have to try one now.  :)
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 11:26:50 AM »
Originally posted by Condor
Is there instruction somewhere on how to properly use the 5 inch guns?  And please don't respond with "search is your friend"  or "try the trainers page".  I will do both but often there are old threads that are hard to find.  I can find things on my own, but it's not always very easy.

Unfortunately, there is no resource that can teach you how to lead targets with a 5" gun. I always recommend going offline and practice shooting at the drones with a 5" gun, until you can hit them consistently.

Basically, you need to adjust for two factors: Angle and elevation. You need to learn how much drop there is at varying ranges. Likewise, you need to learn how much lead is required at varying ranges. Both are learned by doing. Thus, like just about every other aspect of the game, you learn via experience.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 11:28:21 AM »
Just say "NO" to bootable gun positions.  all we need is another opportunity for rank bullies to squash someone who is trying to have fun.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 11:43:01 AM »
I have a superb rank and can't hit squat with 5". Go figure.
I shouldn't be able to boot someone from a gun just because I bomb a few factories each tour ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 12:04:54 PM »
I disagree.  New players need a chance to learn.

If it's a critical mission that the CV is on you could always jump in the 5" guns BEFORE the CV gets to the point it's likely to be spotted.  There's no penalty for doing so.  There have been times I've jumped into a 5" or 8" while the CV was still out of range of the target just to make sure I got my favorite gun position.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 12:09:49 PM »
I would think the realistic objective would be to make sure whoever is playing has a chance to have a good time. Nobody likes someone who has more time to play the game, or know the tricks to rank, to dictate what they can do ingame.

~AoM~