Author Topic: Movie - No Country for Old Men  (Read 264 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Movie - No Country for Old Men
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »
Saw the movie "No Country for Old Men" last night.   I had read good reviews of it, matter of fact it got 4 stars in the local review.  Being from the Coen bros, I knew to expect it to be different.  It was.

I welcome a movie that avoids being just another Hollywood formula movie, but this one was out there.

A fair amount of violence, not to big of a deal, not as bad as some movies, and in typical Coen fashion it had it's moments of less than typical dialog.  But it was just weird at times, and the ending, well, it's like they just got tired of making the movie and quit.  People in the theater didn't know if it was over, if they should get up and leave, or wait to see if more was going to somehow happen during the credits.

Can't say I liked it or didn't like it.  Just left me kind of ambivalent.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 02:43:36 PM »
Usually when I see a movie like that in the theater, I don't "get it" until I see it a couple more times on dvd or cable.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 04:50:12 PM »
I was getting pumped on this one from the few reviews I've read. May wait for the DVD.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
Another Work in Progress that had to wrap up to meet budget? Another Lost in Script?  Nevertheless, some antidote to seasonal treacle would be welcome.  

Whichever, it's always win/win adding a film to the Netflix list.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 08:27:35 PM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 11:53:22 PM »
I read a detailed review of NCFOM and they said the Coens tried to hard to stick to the novel, thus the odd ending. I plan on seeing it Monday. I like their work, and don't expect to be disappointed.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 12:26:03 AM »
Any car chases, explosions, or naked female breasts?

These are the hallmarks of truly great cinema.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 01:27:56 AM »
you forgot the firing of guns whilst diving through the air.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!