Author Topic: "house to house" great book..  (Read 226 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
"house to house" great book..
« on: November 25, 2007, 10:27:01 AM »
Just finished house to house.   This is an amazing book..  keeps the politics out.

It is the story of an infantryman in faluja (however it is spelled) in Iraq.   I learned a lot about what these guys went through.

Some interesting things in the book..  the place was a fortress.. terrorists from all over the world were there and intended to die.. roads and houses were often mined and boobytrapped.  

The terrorists were often drugged to the eyeballs and they had a lot of captured American gear.    Often.. the 223 had little or no effect on these people..  Handguns and shotguns were used a lot.    The terrorists were extremely "brave" and willing to fight to the death or even stand in the open to draw fire and assess our strength.

The soldiers were portrayed in what I think is an even and fair way and are worthy of our highest praise.

There is a LOT of very personal hand to hand combat in the book.  It is not for the squeemish.

Get the book.. you will not be bored or regret it.

lazs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 11:12:24 AM »
Thx, will check it out.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 11:20:09 AM »
Author???
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
Will read it soon as I finish "Epicenter".
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:29:38 AM »
Thx, lazs.

Regards,
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »
Thanks Toad. :aok
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 10:04:14 AM »
It's a page turner..  hard to put down.   The author is highly decorated and out of the military now.   I finished it in several long nights of reading.

This is not a political book.    This is a look at what some of our guys are going through.  

lazs