Author Topic: whats with the lag?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Server Issues?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 11:58:36 AM »
More than likely the problems are related to the holidays than anything else.  Always happens this time of year.

Again, if the packet loss is at the last hop, then more than likely the problems are on the return trip.  Only way to find out is for me to run a trace back to the source.

Comcast and other ISP's who are implementing a new traffic shaping technology are not helping matters either.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 12:42:23 PM »
rattfink

Discos  13

This is not normal for me.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Server Issues?
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 01:02:23 PM »
The Internet is a dynamic monster constantly changing.  Nothing is static.  What is true today, will not be true tomorrow.  Another truism is, there is alway something broken on the Internet.

This time of year, as the weather changes around the world, and the people are out on holidays and vacations, the Internet is just a nasty mess.  Always has been, always will be.  It may not effect you today, but there is a very good chance it will effect you tomorrow.  Point being, the odds will catch up with you.

Then it will all change again.

A server, any server, would be hard pressed to cause a disconnect.  A disconnect is an abnormal termination of a communication stream.  If the server was causing it, it would, generally speaking, effect everyone at the same time.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Elysian

• Nickel Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 01:17:43 PM »
I'm discoing to the point of it being non-playable these days.  Unfortunately the blinking light on my modem lets me know it's my ISP.  Thanks for that info on the new net technology Skuzzy, hopefully that and the holidays is the cause and they figure it out soon!

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 02:12:21 PM »
My connection has sucked ever since ATT took over SBC.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Server Issues?
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 02:35:18 PM »
You mean since SBC bought AT&T and then adopted the AT&T name?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
Re: whats with the lag?
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 02:44:30 PM »
Originally posted by VansCrew1
The server has been locking up a few times today, five times i beleave.

Been that way since the new server went online.  Must be a Packard Bell server they found at an auction somewhere or a newer compcrap server.  ROFLOL

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1

PS.. Vans, waiting for that film that I pm requested.
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Server Issues?
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 02:52:08 PM »
Neither, and things like this do not help without knowing the exact arena someone is in.  The arenas are spread across 3 servers.

There are some consistencies though.  Road Runner and Comcast users have both been having severe problems for the last month, or so.  The server has nothing to do with this.  It has everything to do with the ISP adopting a new traffic shaping system.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 04:05:28 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
More than likely the problems are related to the holidays than anything else.  Always happens this time of year.

Again, if the packet loss is at the last hop, then more than likely the problems are on the return trip.  Only way to find out is for me to run a trace back to the source.

Comcast and other ISP's who are implementing a new traffic shaping technology are not helping matters either.

Dunno Skuzzy. I noticed some odd chat lags the other night. Someone apologized to me for a false check 6 call on range vox BEFORE I got the check 6 call :)   .... it was like "sorry Vulcan, wrong key" ... pause... "Check 6".

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 04:16:30 PM »
What bothers me is no internal changes to the computer but the crashes are all the back to a full restart of the computer. Blue screen off death and a restart of the computer. Then comes the "yer computer had an unrecoverable blah, blah, blah. Wanna report it?" The only thing I run on this computer is the "game" and a few songs.

IMHO, that's not a normal occurance. My ISP has changed over from RR to Comcast but that was more than 6 months ago. This is a recent thing. My count is now up to 6 full discos in the past 24 days. This begs the question...what do we need to do when contacting ComCast?

Ren

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Server Issues?
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 04:28:57 PM »
Comcast is being sued in California for what they are doing.  It really boils down to the court case outcome.  Comcast would have everyone believe that what they are doing will not effect anything other than heavy users of the Internet.  Point of fact, anytime you introduce packet monitoring mixed with qualifying that packet, you just added another step to packet delivery which will have an impact on every packet traversing that network.

Vulcan, what you described is attributable to Internet related issues as well.  Folks, the holidays here always have a dramatic impact on the Internet.

Makes it really difficult to weed out the chaffe from the real issues.  After tha holidays are settled out, then it will be easier to tell what is happening.

Ren, blue screens are another matter entirely.  Send me a DXDIAG output please with a description of what is happening.

There are a number of issues being posted in this thread and everyone wants to blame the server for them.  Fine, but if you want to solve th eproblems, then let's step back and take a more pragamatic approach.

Ping plots and trace routes are useless to me without a source IP address so I can trace back to that IP address.  There very maybe problems in AT&T's network, but without source IP addresses, I am stuck.

Crashes to the desktop can be a hundred things.  I would like to see some details of the machines involved in those.  Please use email fo rthis as the DXDIAG output is large and easier get through when it is in an email.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 04:34:08 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 04:34:58 PM »
all hail skuzzy he know all.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Server Issues?
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 04:45:20 PM »

funniehh

Skuzzy is asking for people who are having troubles to do the following to help skuzzy / HTC find what is causing the problems for you all

ping plotter and/or trace routes that includes your source ip address
emailed print outs of your  DXDIAG output   ( Direct X   Diagnosis )
maybe even type of internet connection - modem/cable modem/DSL/ T-1 etc....

your Internet provider
your computer specs
your geographical location
times of the day that these problems are happening to you.......

is better to be helpful than trying to be the funniehh......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Server Issues?
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 04:57:16 PM »
If I did, I would not need everyone to provide information.  If you want problems solved, then it is a give and take proposition.  I have a good idea of what may be happening here, but it is based on prior historical information.

Could be way off the mark.  Current data will provide the proper context to troubleshoot what is going on.

It is difficult to separate the chaffe from what is constant, but not impossible.

The old server was a dual Xeon 2.6Ghz based server with 3GB of PC1600 RAM.  The new server is dual 2.66Ghz Quad Core Xeon server with 8GB of DDR2-667 RAM.  Running the same load as before.  That is why I balk a bit at it being the server.  Not saying it is not possible, but right now, with all the information I have, I would be remiss to not look elsewhere first.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 05:05:02 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Server Issues?
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »
Originally posted by kilz
sux to be you LOL

Yeah, has never been this bad since I was in Italy... about 50-60 disco's a month. :D
So now when I disco the wife jumps in and says: "Oh your done, come watch TV with me"  :furious
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~