Author Topic: whats with the lag?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline VansCrew1

• Gold Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2007, 05:28:30 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
If I did, I would not need everyone to provide information.  If you want problems solved, then it is a give and take proposition.  I have a good idea of what may be happening here, but it is based on prior historical information.

Could be way off the mark.  Current data will provide the proper context to troubleshoot what is going on.

It is difficult to separate the chaffe from what is constant, but not impossible.

The old server was a dual Xeon 2.6Ghz based server with 3GB of PC1600 RAM.  The new server is dual 2.66Ghz Quad Core Xeon server with 8GB of DDR2-667 RAM.  Running the same load as before.  That is why I balk a bit at it being the server.  Not saying it is not possible, but right now, with all the information I have, I would be remiss to not look elsewhere first.

ill see what i can dig up,i do know before the lag my frame rate droped for 60 to about 11.Thats how i could tell a lag was coming.

It's not easy glad Skuzzy has to do it :aok.
Tour 79
Callsign: VansCrew

"The Ringer"

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2007, 08:53:13 PM »
Comcast is being sued in California for what they are doing.  It really boils down to the court case outcome.  Comcast would have everyone believe that what they are doing will not effect anything other than heavy users of the Internet.  Point of fact, anytime you introduce packet monitoring mixed with qualifying that packet, you just added another step to packet delivery which will have an impact on every packet traversing that network.

Ren, blue screens are another matter entirely.  Send me a DXDIAG output please with a description of what is happening.

Crashes to the desktop can be a hundred things.  I would like to see some details of the machines involved in those.  Please use email fo rthis as the DXDIAG output is large and easier get through when it is in an email.

Thanks, Skuzzy. I knew you'd be able to sort it all out. I'll get the info together and send it to you.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 09:51:23 PM »
What could be causing the whole arena to "stop" other than the server? The true final hop, maybe...
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 11:05:36 PM »
While everyone else was having problems I had four days of excellent gaming and then Sunday night I got three Comcast disconnects. I ran ping plotter and monitored the connection until things cleared up and then no more problems that night. I did notice a little delay in kills exploding and enemy bombs doing damage but it looked good otherwise. Today however the white screen and disco after bombing the city and getting half way home just killed the fun and then I learned the points dont count either. Great just great.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline yanksfan

• Silver Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 11:13:52 PM »
Neither, and things like this do not help without knowing the exact arena someone is in.  The arenas are spread across 3 servers.

There are some consistencies though.  Road Runner and Comcast users have both been having severe problems for the last month, or so.  The server has nothing to do with this.  It has everything to do with the ISP adopting a new traffic shaping system.

The troubles i was having seemed to have cleared up for the most part a few days ago, but it was pretty bad for about a month or so, but hopefully they will be good for a while for me. but ya never know, i learned more about how the internet works and how servers and the game function then i wanted to know, but once you know a little about how things are supposed to work, it makes trouble shooting alot easier.
ESTES- will you have my baby?
Ack-Ack -As long as we can name the baby Shuffler if it's a boy and Mensa if it's a girl.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Server Issues?
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2007, 06:35:07 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662
What could be causing the whole arena to "stop" other than the server? The true final hop, maybe...
A freeze/pause of the client on your computer is your computer causing it.  The lack of network packets does not stop the client from running.  This symptom has nothing to do with the server or the Internet.

The only case where the Internet might be involved would be the case of a DOS (denial of service) attack on your connection which would cause the CPU to be too busy to service the game.

Pauses and freezes are normally nothing more than resource related issues.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Server Issues?
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2007, 07:09:00 AM »
Just think about this, this is the busiest shopping time of the year, and a good portion of the shopping is done on-line. Your going to see all kinds of warps and stuff in the game all due to lag from people using up band-width to browse the cyber malls till christmas. Then we will have all the squeekers back for the winter vacation. So we are pretty much screwed till after the beginning of the new year.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Server Issues?
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2007, 01:18:10 PM »
The shopping was bad enough it crashed Yahoo's merchant services due to over load.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2007, 03:30:11 PM »
The shopping was bad enough it crashed Yahoo's merchant services due to over load.

lols glad i dont shop at all on intardnet

youd think that they would have prepared for that kind of traffic, guess not eh

i dont see very much lag at all on my end and im on bellsouth.net
ATT too i think.  
the main thing is white screen of death and nvidia driver stoping responding but these are computer resourse issues and driver issues
i finaly figured out how to get my xp system running clean
i went to black vipers site and learned a lot of system servises i could shut down
also thats the only way to kill my norton antivirus 2008 cause i cant shut that down in task manager.
now at system idle i run 17 proceses instead of 26
usualy still crash out once or twice a day
gonna add a gig of ram for cristmas can't beat it for 40-50 bucks
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Server Issues?
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2007, 03:47:12 PM »
Just FYI, Norton's Anti-virus patches the XP kernel.  There is no real way to shut it down.  Just because it does not show up in the Task Manger does not mean it is not running.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Server Issues?
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2007, 09:30:33 PM »
Here is some ping plots for ya skuzzy.

AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Server Issues?
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2007, 05:48:18 AM »
Those look pretty good.  The return path on the last one was where the bounces were occurring.  It is happening in Level3's network.

Not terribly bad though.  No packet loss.

What issues are you having?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2007, 07:06:00 AM »
Text lag/kill message lag.  It seems like ever since u guys installed new server, I have been getting text lag.  I type a message and 3-10 secs later it posts.  It happens quite regularly too and never clears up.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
Server Issues?
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2007, 07:31:32 AM »
I was on last night testing for this and could not get it to happen.  You are up in the Northeast.  Hmmm,..seems to be a lot of complaints from that area.  Dunt know if it is related yet or not.

Was the ping plot done during the occurence?  Could you run it for more than 10 samples?  Say a 100 samples?

Also, when it happened, did you notice if anything else paused or delayed?  Did you try going to the Early War arena and see if it acted the same way?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:36:09 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
Server Issues?
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2007, 07:47:31 AM »
I will rerun it tonight.  As far as warping issues and such, no.  There are your occasional planes that warp but it usually 1 out of a few planes that does which tells me its that individual and not me.  I haven't tried the other arenas except for both LW arenas.  Both had the issue.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW