Author Topic: whats with the lag?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Server Issues?
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »
It might start out fine, but your connection slowly fails as your router tries to hold on to its connection.

When ever a router starts dieing here (mine last about 8 months) they will start doing stuff like that. One minute everythings fine, then I can only connect to a few sites, then its ok, then nothing. Power cycling, wouldclear it up, some times for weeks, but it always got to the point I just didn't want to mess with it, and I'd get a new router.

I've been told that router (home versions) last about 8-12 months. The more heat that gets to them the quicker they go. I don't know if thats true, but thats about what mine last on an average ( on my 3rd one now). My Dad seems to go through them quicker. His is buried behind the desk under all the wires, so maybe its true.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
Server Issues?
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »
Well, My old router I had for 2 years which was also wireless and the 1 before that is 7 yrs old and still going strong but that not wireless.  Only reason I changed this is the ISP supplied the modem with a wireless router built in along with 4 cable ports on it.  My machine is on cable, sons in wireless.  This modem is only 4 months old give or take a few.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Server Issues?
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2007, 12:56:31 PM »
Yes, but most consumer grade routers need to be reset pretty often to maintain thier performance.  They are not the most robust routers around.

You should be able to run a 1,000,000 samples with no packet loss.  A 100 is a drop in the bucket and should not have any packet loss.  Any packet loss like yours is unacceptable for any Internet connection.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com