Author Topic: Next Question: Landing Carrier Planes  (Read 337 times)

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Next Question: Landing Carrier Planes
« on: December 01, 2007, 01:51:22 PM »
...on an airfield.

While I'm here and logged in, I thought I'd ask about something else I can't figure out: Landing the f4s on an airfield. No problem with FM2s or TBMs.

Whenever I've had to try and land a corsair on an airfield (as opposed to the carrier) the plane ends up veering off the runway to the right. It doesn't seem to matter what I do. I've gone hard left rudder. Turned of the engine to reduce centrifugal force. Whatever I could think of, I did, but still end up veering off the runway and usually the gear collapses or plane flips.

I finally just settled on doing belly landings for f4s on airfields. Luckily I rarely do the corsairs, but would like to know how to land one if I ever need to.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 02:25:37 PM »
Corsairs are easy to land once you figure them out.

Here are a few tips-

1- All my troubles went away when I learned to flare out better and SLOW DOWN before touchdown.  I always land in the three-point configuration.  If you're touching down on your mains you're a bit fast IMO...  Flaps are an obvious aid in landing slow.  I seldom land with fewer than 5 notches, although you technically don't need any at all.  I generally land close to the re-arm pad, so I want as little roll-out as possible, to minimize taxiing.  Lazy?  Yes, but it goes to show how slow I want to be when I touch.  I touch down on all three wheels as the plane stalls, right around 80 mph.

2- Lock your tailwheel as you land, to minimize the tail swinging around in the famous "ground-loop".  If you're flaring properly, you'll have the stick back anyway as you touch.  This also locks the tailwheel.  Just keep the stick back as you roll out.

3- Differential braking.  Make sure you have your brakes mapped.  Don't use them together, but rather one at a time.  If the nose wants to swing right, tap the left brake, etc.  When you have her rolling straight, feel free to use both brakes.

Landing too fast, and then slamming the brakes hard in an effort to quickly stop and avoid the ground-loop is a recipe for scratching your paint.  The brakes aren't a fix-all, they just fine tune things.  

Finally, if you want to make your landings ridiculously easy, manual trim for landing.  If you don't, you end up fighting the combat trim as you come in, especially with flaps.

So here's a step-by-step-

Slow down as you approach the field and line up on the runway.  Once your throttle is chopped, you'll see the combat trim try to roll you right, as it corrects for the torque which is no longer there.  Fix that by tapping in a little left aileron.  I like the trim needle to be ever-so-slightly to the left of neutral.  I also like my elevator trim a bit lower than neutral.  As you drop flaps, that will let you set up a practically hands-free approach to the runway.

I drop flaps as soon as I can.  First notch at 250mph, second at 225, etc.  You'll get the last notch down at 150mph.  I keep my approach speed right around 100mph, using throttle and elevator to adjust my approach angle.

As you flare, try to play a game where you try to keep the mains about 6 inches above the runway for as long as possible.  This will have the effect of forcing you to pull the stick all the way back for your flare.  The plane fully stalls just as the wheels touch down.  Hold the stick back to keep the tailwheel locked, and roll out.  Fine tune with some braking.

That's it!  Frustrating at first, but easy once you figure it out...

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 02:26:29 PM »
There are 2 ways to keep a hog from ground looping. Use the C and V keys for right & left braking and steer with your brakes, or just pull halfway back on your stick to lock the tailwheel

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 02:27:33 PM »
Important thing about landing the F4U is to either:

A) Land as slow as you can and get all three landing gear down at the same time. Once down pull back on the stick to lock your tailwheel.

B) Land a little faster on a shallower angle and let her run tail-up, (there's a term for it. I THINK it's called "traveling" but someone is bound to correct me) which gives you better rudder authority until airspeed is reduced enough to do get the tailwheel down and lock it with back-pressure on the stick. Historically this is what early F4Us did due to tendency of the oleos to bounce on steeper, slower glide angles.

In both cases use a combination of rudder and differential braking to keep her straight on the runway. If you over-compensate you're liable to just induce a ground-loop the other direction. Regardless of the technique, the most IMPORTANT thing is to lock the tailwheel with back-pressure on the stick.

The F4U can sure be a handful, but once you learn how to contend with all the nasty tricks she likes to throw at you she's one of the best ships in the game.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 04:29:42 PM »
One thingt hat has helped my F4U landings is the recently aded Trim set command , default dot or period key. 'Might' have to map that one.
It will trim your plane for current condition including flaps, gear out etc.
What I do is get in my landing approach gear and flaps out and right at runway threshold crossoverr I hit . and I can usually survive my landings.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 04:49:19 PM »
Everyone is right! One thing I also found that helps alot is when you touch down and lock the tailwheel (stick back) don't touch the brakes. She will roll out absolutely straight and slow to a crawl. Hit your brakes then to come to a full stop.

Remember you can dump gear all the way up to 350 mph so slowing down is never a problem in a Hog. Just dump em and get to full flaps on approach. Even if you land half way down the runway and don't touch the brakes she will roll out straight with a locked tailwheel.

Hope this helps