Author Topic: New Computer, now warp city  (Read 716 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
New Computer, now warp city
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 07:13:54 PM »
If you have Aero enable the video card performance will be slower.  NVidia has had a lot of problems with thier Vista drivers.

The easiest way to reduce the game footprint is to reduce the texture size in the Video Settings, and also be sure to disable any anti-aliasing or anisotroic filtering you have enabled in the video card control panel.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Capgains

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 07:53:45 PM »
I reduced the textures to 512, and still pretty good swings in variance.  The host still has rapid up and down wave as well.  

I have also turned off all anti aliasing and ansotrophic settings in the NVida configuration for 3d (control panel)   I couldn't find a references to Aero in the config menues.... is this somewhere else?

Offline Capgains

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 08:06:29 PM »
Never mind, found it... shut it down, and picked a non Aero classic XP theme.  Still no change to the variance.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 06:41:43 AM »
Losing Aero will not change the Variance, it just frees up some video card/driver resources.  Reduce the texture size in the game to 256.

The Variance swings is the CPU doing other things than running the game.  Vista has a significant number of background processes running all the time.  Have you gone through and cleaned that mess up?

You will never get Vista to run the game as well as XP does.  It is the nature of Vista and until Microsoft releases the service pack for Vista next quarter. Vista will just be a poor performer.  That does not mean you cannot make it better, but will take some effort.  Of course, it is your choice.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Capgains

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 11:56:43 AM »
Okay, I understand.

I will change the textures to 256, and start to shut down services that are not being used.  I looked over the sites that you reccomended with the lists of things safe to shut down... Can't believe all of the things running!!!

Thanks for explaining what causes the variance now that I know that, I can sorta understand what needs to be done next.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 07:02:10 PM »
Have you checked the Power setting in Control Panel?  Seems like a lot of new boxes have the default energy setting set at some energy saving setting.  When I first got my new pc a year ago, I experienced horrible warping.  It took 5 months and a looong thread in here to finally figure out it was my default power setting.  It was set for Energy Star instead of Desktop.  As soon as I changed it, BLAM all fixed!  5 months of headaches for a simple click to fix it.  Since then, I've fixed 7 or 8 other players with the same situation.  A couple points though, these were all HPs running XP, but it's worth checking out.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 07:34:57 PM »
Originally posted by USRanger
Have you checked the Power setting in Control Panel?  Seems like a lot of new boxes have the default energy setting set at some energy saving setting.  When I first got my new pc a year ago, I experienced horrible warping.  It took 5 months and a looong thread in here to finally figure out it was my default power setting.  It was set for Energy Star instead of Desktop.  As soon as I changed it, BLAM all fixed!  5 months of headaches for a simple click to fix it.  Since then, I've fixed 7 or 8 other players with the same situation.  A couple points though, these were all HPs running XP, but it's worth checking out.

What he said.
2sBlind

Offline Capgains

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »
Oh yeah!!!!!

USranger got it.... I changed the power setting from balanced to high performance...  (That's the way it is in Vista)

Variance went to flat line, and no warpy.... Excellent!!!!!

The frame rate which was juming everywhere from 50 to 91 has now settled at 75 (which is also the refresh rate) during most flight and combat conditions.   But best of all.... I can hit stuff again. (and be hit of course)

Thanks for the help guys

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 07:21:56 AM »
I always assume the power setting is something everyone takes care of, by default.  DOH!

I guess I need to add that to the hints and tips sticky.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Capgains

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »
I agree Mr. Skuzzy,

One of my squadies told me he just did the same fix after working on his for several months.

I have started to go back the other way now to find out how much of the texture I reduced I can add back in again.  Re upped textures to 1024, and adjusted sliders to higher texture values in the game.... so far no problems.

Still think I will go throught the list you offer to start disabling and manualizing services of little or no use.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 05:24:15 PM »
Would be a very good idea Skuzzy.  It has a major effect on gameplay.  Pre-adjustment, I was getting 230+ fps(no, that's not good fellas) and waaaaarrrpppiinng so badly, it was unplayable. Post-fix, I stay at a constant 75fps w/ hi-res graphics.  Haven't notice one warp since.  It's such a simple, yet critical fix, I was amazed at the effect it had, but if you don't know it's not "right" by default, you'd never think of it(as in, the average pc user).
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus