Author Topic: Do guns kill people???  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2007, 08:10:46 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
good point. Cars don't kill people, nor do aircraft. So why do we need licenses for them?

There is no constitutional right to drive or fly. That which is licenced is a privilege, not a right. The privilege is granted you by the "state". Rights are not granted by any state, they are only infringed by the state.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2007, 08:13:56 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
I've got a loaded stone axe, flint spear and unloaded bow (they can't lay around loaded for some reason) strategically placed around my apartment as we speak. No cameras on them but I assure you they haven't taken any drugs the entire time. I'm sure they would have left tell-tale signs. ;)

I'm guessing the Spear uses a tube mag, But does the Stone Ax have a removable Mag or does it use some kind of loading gate or cylinder? :huh

And is the Bow-and-arrow a Muzzleloader???

:t
(I got a giggle out of that response, Arlo.)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2007, 08:14:52 PM »
Gotta have a hunting license with the correct stamp to shoot a lawyer in this state. Unless you're the VP. Other than that, I believe I can still walk into a Walmart and buy a sporting rifle without a license to own said weapon. ;)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2007, 08:16:52 PM »
Rights must still be enjoyed responsibly are they are taken away. I would have no problem if a license were required to carry a concealed weapon provided the license were guaranteed to anyone demonstrating basic knowledge required to operate one safely. Like a vehicle license, operate it improperly too many times and lose the right for a season.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2007, 08:17:36 PM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
I'm guessing the Spear uses a tube mag, But does the Stone Ax have a removable Mag or does it use some kind of loading gate or cylinder? :huh

And is the Bow-and-arrow a Muzzleloader???

:t
(I got a giggle out of that response, Arlo.)

Don't say "giggle." It makes the machismo crowd nervous. ;)

My bow and arrow is semi-non-automatic while I'm sober. :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 08:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Rights must still be enjoyed responsibly or they are taken away. I would have no problem if a license were required to carry a concealed weapon provided the license were guaranteed to anyone demonstrating basic knowledge required to operate one safely. Like a vehicle license, operate it improperly too many times and lose the right for a season.

Sit down and hold on tight because .....  you and I appear to be on the same page regarding said topic, at this point. :cool:

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 08:21:21 PM »
Gun control. I knew some didn't really fear it. ;)

Not gun control in the sense that many mean it. A license SHALL be granted to anyone of age and not having demonstrated gross irresponsibility or incompetence. This license would grant the bearer the right to possess and carry any gun anywhere they choose.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2007, 08:29:05 PM »
Not gun control in the sense that many mean it. A license SHALL be granted to anyone of age and not having demonstrated gross irresponsibility or incompetence. This license would grant the bearer the right to possess and carry any gun anywhere they choose.

" .... to anyone demonstrating basic knowledge required to operate one safely." Right? And who has the fees to afford said license. Same for renewing. Cause I'm fair certain there isn't a licensing program that doesn't require fees and renewal.

Just seeing how close we still are. (And this is precisely the sense I and a lot of people I know mean it.) Cause I don't really have a problem with it. But I sure don't see a way around collection to pay for the licensing, registration and database maint. process. :)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2007, 09:36:08 PM »
I pretty much described Texas' concealed carry laws. The license is much like a vehicle operators license, in fees, proficiency, and interval. While a person is licensed, weapons are not. Texas is not allowed to maintain records on what guns are owned by individuals.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2007, 09:44:22 PM »
I pretty much described Texas' concealed carry laws. The license is much like a vehicle operators license, in fees, proficiency, and interval. While a person is licensed, weapons are not. Texas is not allowed to maintain records on what guns are owned by individuals.

I've never had a problem with it. And no argument over militia, constitutional rights or oppressive government was required. Honestly, I like guns. A lot. And my western collection reinforces my desire. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:51:49 PM by Arlo »

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2007, 10:15:34 PM »
Gun's don't kill people, bullets do.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2007, 10:19:13 PM »
my western collection reinforces my desire. :)

I can't have a western collection because I live in PA.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2007, 10:22:09 PM »
Originally posted by Neubob
I can't have a western collection because I live in PA.

Only fitting. You oughta need a visa to visit Texas. ;)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: Do guns kill people???
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2007, 10:25:15 PM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
Kinda like how a car can't kill anyone when it's sitting in the driveway with the engine turned off. It's only dangerous when some idiot gets behind the wheel and starts driving it.

"Some fires occurred hours after the vehicles were parked and turned off. One particularly tragic event occurred when an F150 truck parked in the garage of a family in Georgia caught fire. The blaze quickly spread to the house where it killed a four year old girl."  http://www.kerrysteigerwalt.com/public/f150-recall/

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Do guns kill people???
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2007, 10:34:54 PM »
Speaking of which .... I don't recommend loading all your guns and laying them around the apartment with their safeties off to prove a point on an internet bulletin board. I bet most NRA members would probably concur.

Just not safety smart. ;)