Author Topic: Exceptional, Notable or Time Honored Squads  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Exceptional, Notable or Time Honored Squads
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »
Different things to different peeps.

Some like being lost in a horde of other lost souls and feeling proud of playing the "RISK" version of Aces High.

Some like looking for something to make them as infamous as Blood Dragon/ Blood Pig/Blood Whatever - like the 4Qs did in AW just to get a rise outa those too serious to remember it's still a game.

Some ... like me ... are looking for the closest thing they can to immerse themselves in a virtual rendition of the historical squadrons, planes and situations their specific WWII ace heros were in (in my case - VF-17 "Jolly Rogers").

Some don't even need no steenkin' squads.

:D

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »
Man the 71st Eagles should be at the top of the list. You should come check out our Vox Channel on gut buster night.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 11:59:39 PM »
If base taking is your criteria then you've named the top 25 squads.

As for contributing to Aces High, I'd suggest you look at a lot of different things.

Which guys design the snapshots, who runs the FSO's, who designs the scenarios.  Who does the skinning of the planes guys fly.  Who does the maps.  Who are the trainer types.

I'd suggest those guys and the squads they come from contribute a heckuva lot more to the game then those who take bases.

Just my opinions of course :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Gulp

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 01:28:23 AM »
Oink

Aspen

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 07:48:59 AM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
I think the best squads are the ones who just go out and have fun. They fly together, tell bad jokes, and just have more fun that squads that go out and think about how to win the war tactically.

Latrobe's got it. My little outfit is only four months old now, but we are gaining members a little at a time, just folks that believe in fun above all else. Most importantly, they don't have to be he best, and I admire those that can lose gracefully.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 08:00:36 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
WidowMakers (14yrs old ish)

I bet the Damned pre-date the CH's.  (Fiat?  Ren?  Rodan? anybody wanna help me w/ that?  I can't remember when the Durned Ones started)

Actually, all 3 of them are Damned noobs. :) The Damned was formed in '88 or '89. We used to have a history on the web page. But, it appears to have disappeared when the new site was set up. I am the oldest active member (some claim to fame, eh? :D).

BTW Lute...is that the real WM's or the fake ones??? :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 08:04:08 AM »
SKWADS RULZ!!!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 08:11:50 AM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Actually, all 3 of them are Damned noobs. :) The Damned was formed in '88 or '89. We used to have a history on the web page. But, it appears to have disappeared when the new site was set up. I am the oldest active member (some claim to fame, eh? :D).

BTW Lute...is that the real WM's or the fake ones??? :D

Thanks NB!

The "AOL" WidowMakers and the Gamestorm (/\) (\/) types were created months apart from each other.  (w/ the Gamestorm being the older of the two).

So yeah, we would be the "fake" ones.

(reminds self to never buy BlueBell anymore 'cause NB is a meany)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 08:15:37 AM »
Originally posted by SuBWaYCH
C-Hawks are probably THE oldest squad still flying today. I our 18th birthday is comin up. :)

I think a lot of people respect us. I'm one of the newer members, only been with squad since August 2006.
One of our 2 founders still fly today, under the name "ALoner". Our other was Jhffo, who has since retired from flying. I'm pretty sure he is in his 70's now. SpiveyCH and Genrl are our acting C.O.'s.

We are also in WW2 online, and Eve.

We are never in the top 50, because we don't care about score, at all. We focus around fun.

Watch our for BelethCH, one of our X.O.'s. His famous last words are "Hey ya'll, watch this!" :rofl

Regards,
Subway

Ak's were founded in 1990 I believe and were in 5 different games.  Red Baron, Flying cricus, IL2, AH, and WOW.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline capera

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 08:20:41 AM »
99th ASTAG
Aggressor Squadron (Tactical Air Group)

Established : December 9, 1999

Flight Sim (in order) :  Flying Circus, Dawn of Aces, Aces High

Offline Trip01

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »
Anyone remember the Kraits? ;)

Trip (currently flying with the few)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 08:34:46 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
Thanks NB!

(reminds self to never buy BlueBell anymore 'cause NB is a meany)

Lute...

That really stings! But, if you want to punish yourself.....:D
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Corrs

• Silver Member
      • TAC Drivers
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 08:42:21 AM »
Nice thread.

In my opinion being in a squad isn't about the score or the rank, just about having fun hanging out with some ol friends. But thats just me.

What? The Flying Circus is in the top 25! sweeeeeeeet!!
Corrs
The Flying Circus
Head of The Flying Circus Numbnutz Clown Union since 2000
FSO 334th FS Corrs's Nose Art
WARNING: Keep smiley's out of reach of Corrs

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 09:06:52 AM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy

Yep, I came toward the end of the DOS AW era under Fool's guidence. He was around with NB, JD, SB, Dano, Eggie. I didn't see much of NB in those days but met him at one of the IND Con's. Since he is the last of the orignal active guys you might call him Grampa Ugl...err...pappyNB! :) Wasn't there a Pizza Face too? We fired up a MacAw Damned Group when AoHell took it into their Beta program while the other Damned went over to the dark side (pc's). I think Fool went over to the dark side then and got involved in training on that side. I still had my Cris account at the end of DosAW and Fool used it to go to the giant Frog Auger Conclusion. The Mac guys stayed on that side of AW until it's demise then moved to the dark side. I think that was around version AW3 but it mighta been 2. We all got back together under Lugs on Gamestorm but some of us continued as trainers in AoHell and in Gamestorm. Alot of new folks showed up on Gamestorm under Snowman and that group. I think Rodan showed up then. Fiat was a more recent addtion. I know Fool started back near the beginning using an Amega :).  Those are the really old phearts of this game. I believe when the Damned migrated to AH at the demise of AW by EA around 76 Damned showed up on the doorstep of HTC. I might be off by 4 pilots but I thought we brought 3 full squads over because a bunch of the guys that had drifted away came back into the game on the move.

It's interesting to note that off all the Squads in the history these on line fighter sims, the Damned probably made up the largest section of trainers. It's fair to say just about any old Damned was a trainer at one time or another. That says alot for the group as they have always given back to the community.

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 10:06:15 AM »
Unlike so many other squad listed, we are one of the newest but with an old school mentality. If this were the 40's we would fit right in.
If you were to visit our site the first thing you would see is our motto:  Teamwork, Honor and Respect and our first written rule is to conduct ourselves in a professional manor. We have a lot of fun breaking that one on squad :) but above all is to have fun and enjoy yourself in the company of friends.    

There are many new, old and forgotten squads that have left their mark on this game. Most that I can think of have already been mentioned and proud we made the list. I believe us not only exceptional but note worthy<----- my biased opinion of course.

As far as which ones have the most impact on an arena, I'd have to say it would  be any squad that works together, talks the least amount of smack and helps others learn the game. Many of our trainers come from these types of squads and the rest of you already know who you are.

Salute

Word to all the squads we work with; AA's  Blind Bats  Raw Prawns  Death Rattlers Hells Angels HellCat fg  Most Wanted  52ndKIWI Wings of camera toting pie eating terror and a few others I can remember right now

And to the squads we worry about: AK's Ltar Unforgiven  Lynchmob and again to tired to remember all of the honorable adversaries we've had.