Author Topic: Exceptional, Notable or Time Honored Squads  (Read 2225 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Exceptional, Notable or Time Honored Squads
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2007, 10:08:19 AM »
Originally posted by Trip01
Anyone remember the Kraits? ;)

Trip (currently flying with the few)

I mentioned the Kraits.

I was thinkin' about 'em the other week when I stumbled upon an old burned copy of AW3 w/ the Strategic Aircraft Converter (S.A.C.) on it.

Almost loaded that up just for the memories.

I do remember the Damned on AOL AW as mostly trainers.  The WidowMakers were made up of mostly AOL employees and took great delight in hunting down the Durned ones.  I recall many a' night typing "here lizard, lizard, lizard" hunting Rodan.

Good time...  Good times....
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 10:21:24 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
...the Damned probably made up the largest section of trainers...

Ren...

My fault. When I took over informal training on AW, we expanded it. Naturally, I hired the folks I knew (Fool and JD) to lead the sessions. They, naturally, hired trainers from the pool of people that they knew.

The same applies about a year later when Airmigan "retired" and I was put in charge of training on AOHell and Compuserve. I ended up at AOL because the only local node I had for Compuserve was 300 baud (it only took about a year to get them to upgrade the damned thing:)).

The Damned have always been a good group that been willing to help the communities in the games they have played.

Oh, since I saw someone else list their squads' games...

Air Warrior, Warbirds, Aces High, WW2OL, Everquest, Ultima Online, Asheron's Call....I know there are others (remember seeing guys posting about them on the list), however, I can't remember them.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2007, 11:04:41 AM »
Originally posted by Corrs

What? The Flying Circus is in the top 25! sweeeeeeeet!!

I was kinda surprised at that, myself... what with Hajo's fetish for dying in Jugs.  ;)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »
Originally posted by Trip01
Anyone remember the Kraits? ;)

Trip (currently flying with the few)

Flossy claims dual membership in our squad (The Skyknights) as well as the Kraits.  In her biography she says her first loyalties are to the Kraits.

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »
i have to say that rank means not a darn thing....its all manipulative just means some ppl have more spare time than others. K/D is the only thing i pay attention to...btw...my sux...anyways

squads....

Killuminati is my favorite squad....we have a small number but when there are a few of us on we wing up and practice wingman tactics...keeping each other alive is the fun for us. We maybe a small squad but we roll in a force......COME GIT U SUM! hehe
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 12:27:01 PM »
without trying to big my own squad up or anything, 71 squadron is one of the best.

some of the best sticks in AH, all of whom are really fun interesting guys, we don't care about score or anything, we just have a barrel of laughs and some fun sweeps :)

and it's because of that i think that we're one of the biggest squads too (64 members and counting).

best sticks, best teamwork, no scorewhoring BS, hilarious squad channel, someone always online to fly with, and some really great friendships. i've been around a little bit and there is no doubt in my mind that 71 is the best squad out there.

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2007, 01:14:54 PM »
T.S.M.

The Screamin Meanies!  RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAA!!!  I joined up with them after flying a month or two and have never looked back.  Every Wed night gets rowdy on the squad channel.  Keep an eye on 200 for us announcing a Death Race, those are always a blast.

That being said, Killuminati are great, they hang out with us a lot.  I have a lot of respect for the 80th Headhunters, I usually hope (dread) it being one of them in a p38 because it always leads to a good fight.

Das Muppets are fun, Dutchie pwned me in my spit8 (i was rusty ;) ) in his k4 after we rolled around in a scissors the other night.

I get along with BushLt and his crew well too.

The squads that purely run around in a horde to win the war honestly aren't all that much fun IMHO but it is their 15 bucks.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2007, 01:16:47 PM »
Oh ya Biggles, well umm we Have ChainGun :D

Anyone remember PACCMANN while I'm thinking about it? He was such a funny guy. Changed his name to oCANADAo, and all sorts of names. Is he still around?

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2007, 01:20:11 PM »
Originally posted by Major Biggles
without trying to big my own squad up or anything, 71 squadron is one of the best.

some of the best sticks in AH, all of whom are really fun interesting guys, we don't care about score or anything, we just have a barrel of laughs and some fun sweeps :)

and it's because of that i think that we're one of the biggest squads too (64 members and counting).

best sticks, best teamwork, no scorewhoring BS, hilarious squad channel, someone always online to fly with, and some really great friendships. i've been around a little bit and there is no doubt in my mind that 71 is the best squad out there.

I would have to say that the 71st is a squad I very much enjoy tangling with in the MA. Although I'm sure that I haven't duelled them all I can say that the ones I have are pretty much always good fights. As a whole...some of the best fights I've had have been against the 71st. However if you ever run across them and they are doing the "squad fighter sweep" thing you better watch your *** because these guys cover each other as good as any that I have seen.

It's guys like this that keep me coming back. Scorewhoring squads mean diddly squat as does score itself. Most of these "high ranking" squads you never see because they are off bombing a factory somewhere.

the only bad one in the bunch is snaphook:D
j/k

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 01:54:30 PM »
hehe....

There always has to be a bad apple in the barrel I guess:D

I've had the pleasure of flying with two other highly regarded squads before the 71st...

The AK's and the 327th Steel Talons, both of whom are exceptional in both skill and the quality/character of the individual members. After another case of burnout "burnout" I returned with not real intention of even considering a squad. I ended up talking on range with RedTop and after reavealing my "secret identity" accepted his offer to tag along for a bit. I actually still had no desire to join a squad.

After flying with the guys abit I realized the 71st is unique in that its not a squad...it's a community. At the moment (unless we open a 3rd wing) its a full up community...but alot of folks "tag along" on 171. They know that if there own guys arent up invariably some of us will. We dont even have a squad night. But when the word goes out we can often muster 50 or even 60 for a set of sweeps. We dont take bases, but if the itch is there we scratch it very well. I've seen 4-5 of us roll 6-7 bases in a row in primetime...we dont buff either.....but if we do we'll go shut a whole front down. And usually we'll bring the buffs home...

We all have our moments but all in all I think that all 64 of us fly right. We all can "score" if we want but what matters to us most is what we think of each other...and what the respected members of the community think of us as a whole.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Major Biggles

• Gold Member
      • 71 Squadron Website
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
Originally posted by Bucky73
I would have to say that the 71st is a squad I very much enjoy tangling with in the MA. Although I'm sure that I haven't duelled them all I can say that the ones I have are pretty much always good fights. As a whole...some of the best fights I've had have been against the 71st. However if you ever run across them and they are doing the "squad fighter sweep" thing you better watch your *** because these guys cover each other as good as any that I have seen.

It's guys like this that keep me coming back. Scorewhoring squads mean diddly squat as does score itself. Most of these "high ranking" squads you never see because they are off bombing a factory somewhere.

the only bad one in the bunch is snaphook:D
j/k

cheers bucky, sure was funny chasing your 262 around the other day, we all had a good laugh hehehe.

71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Member DFC

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 02:48:49 PM »
My old squad would be one of the early 90s squad, 1st Guns formed in April 1997, but actually flew together early as 1995, Don't recall many squads still alive since then, still together today http://www.1stguns.de

I wouldn't classify a squad by basetake, 1stguns has squad get togethers across europe to fly Lan meetings, where does that classify a squad?

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
OK. You made me curious enough to look. . . .

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Some of our guys need to quit doing porking runs in Fighter mode!  :D

to those on the list. :aok
I had heard a rumor that an LTAR was seen in the air.  I just wonder how they figured out how to put wings on an osti...   Must be a game exploit...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »
The 479th "Riddle's Raiders" FG has been around for around 15 years now, most of the current members have been flying together for about 10 years, with some of the original Raiders still flying.  All in all, best group of dweebs I've ever had the honor of flying with.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dutchie

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
Originally posted by bongaroo
T.S.M.

The Screamin Meanies!  RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAA!!!  I joined up with them after flying a month or two and have never looked back.  Every Wed night gets rowdy on the squad channel.  Keep an eye on 200 for us announcing a Death Race, those are always a blast.

That being said, Killuminati are great, they hang out with us a lot.  I have a lot of respect for the 80th Headhunters, I usually hope (dread) it being one of them in a p38 because it always leads to a good fight.

Das Muppets are fun, Dutchie pwned me in my spit8 (i was rusty ;) ) in his k4 after we rolled around in a scissors the other night.

I get along with BushLt and his crew well too.

The squads that purely run around in a horde to win the war honestly aren't all that much fun IMHO but it is their 15 bucks.

Was a good fight bongaroo, these are the fights that keep me flying AH. All the strategic stuff , playing for score etc, is totally boring IMHO.