Author Topic: Okinawa Frame 2 Scores  (Read 1135 times)

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 10:00:57 PM »
Kaz,

when you bail to the 2nd plane, since the gear is up, it falls to the runway and is unable to take off.

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 10:11:38 PM »
There are risks involved in rearming whether you do it in trios or single planes.  Rearming at a base close to the combat zone invites trouble.  Squad leaders usually have a number of choices.

Given any opportunity to rearm then:

1. Don't choose a base that is a nominated target.
2. Don't choose a base that is flashing.
3. Don't choose a base that is in a direct line to a target.
4. Do choose a base that allows you time to rtb in time.

CIC's and Squad leaders are well aware that if they choose to rearm trios that they will leave the drones behind.  This is not new.  It is not a secret.  Careful choice of field to rearm is therefore necessary.  There is no reason at all to consider drones left behind as off limit.  If they are an asset worth protecting and at some risk, then arrange for a defensive fighter patrol over them.  If the risk is too great, no "quiet" field is available and there is no protective force available, then make the decision to land.  As always there is requirement to balance risk of loss against gain before commitment.  Taking away the need for that thought process would fundamentally weaken the thrills of FSO.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 10:43:26 PM »
Dantoo, I never knew that the drones stayed alive on the airfield.

From now on, can you send an email to the CiCs each time bombers are involved to let them know what you know.  It would be a big help.

Thanks.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 10:49:52 PM »
Originally posted by Dantoo

CIC's and Squad leaders are well aware that if they choose to rearm trios that they will leave the drones behind.  This is not new.  It is not a secret.  Careful choice of field to rearm is therefore necessary.  There is no reason at all to consider drones left behind as off limit.  If they are an asset worth protecting and at some risk, then arrange for a defensive fighter patrol over them.  If the risk is too great, no "quiet" field is available and there is no protective force available, then make the decision to land.  As always there is requirement to balance risk of loss against gain before commitment.  Taking away the need for that thought process would fundamentally weaken the thrills of FSO.

Wow, thats powerful drinks they serve down-under?

Thinking about the safety of my drones - which could just as easily be smart enough to launch again with me, is not a thrill of FSO.

Drones that could at least have enough common sense to re-up with me, or despawn, now that would be a thrill.

What you're talking about is the thrill of working around the game mechanics... If I wanted to do that I could play a single player offline game.
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 03:20:28 AM »
I guess you haven't understood what I have written, or you would have quoted the last two sentences, not the last in isolation.  Better use of paragraphing by me might have made it easier.

As always there is requirement to balance risk of loss against gain before commitment. Taking away the need for that thought process would fundamentally weaken the thrills of FSO.

You are required to think about the safety of your drones.  This is not some new characteristic which has recently popped up.  It's been the case since trios entered the game.  A couple of years now.  If you choose to leave them at an unprotected field, vulnerable to attack, then that is a choice you make, balancing that risk against the gain you might achieve by rolling again.  Until (if ever) the code changes so that your drones launch again you have to make that decision.

You may understand a little better now.  The rest of your post is a cheap personal attack which thoroughly undermines your input.  I cannot understand why you would do that.

Rgds

Rgds.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 08:10:52 AM »

You may understand a little better now.  The rest of your post is a cheap personal attack which thoroughly undermines your input.  I cannot understand why you would do that.

Its a long road from sarcasm to 'cheap personal attack', sorry you felt I was giving you a vicious beat-down. That wasn't at all where I was going.

This is not some new characteristic which has recently popped up. It's been the case since trios entered the game. A couple of years now.

True, but just because something has sucked for a few years does not mean that it shouldn't be addressed.  Your statement basically says that a broken system is just fine.  

If you bought a toaster and one side of it didn't work, you'd probably want it fixed right?  I don't think it would be part of the thrill of making breakfast... I'd just like to see this problem fixed rather than worked around.

Now, we all know that we aren't going to wake up to that being fixed in the morning, and we are going to have to consider the fate of our drones (as you pointed out).  But, personally, I think of it more as a bug than a feature, and phrasing in a positive light - which appeared to be your intent - doesn't change the underlying fact that it reduces immersion and realism.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 10:01:45 AM by Kurt »
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 10:05:27 AM »
sorry that the 55 didnt fly we didnt know our orders or anything and i was the only one so i dicided not to fly
I would not make a habit of that if you and your squad enjoys FSO.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline AKKaz

• Copper Member
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 09:05:11 PM »
Originally posted by forHIM
when you bail to the 2nd plane, since the gear is up, it falls to the runway and is unable to take off.

Then it has changed somewhat during one of the updates in the past.  It has been a long while since it happened, but there was an occasion that I did bail and go to the second aircraft on the ground then rolled and reupped it.

Been so long ago, not even really sure if it was in an event or MA since there were times that I rearmed in the main also.

As for the other, is the penalty for not landing by frame end the same as loss of aircraft?  or is it greater in value?

Just curious
AKKaz
Arabian Knights

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 09:26:16 PM »
AFAIK, planes not landed by the end of the logs are counted as "Lost". This would be the same as "KIA" or "Crashed". I don't believe any of the CM's count them differently.

Hope that helps

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Bannor

• Nickel Member
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:33 PM »
Dantoo,
I understand about how the system works. You re-arm bombers, drones stay on the field. That has always been that way in the MA and in here. I knew the risk at the time and it was acceptable to me. I just wanted some thought given to fixing that part of the game, not just in FSO but in the MA as well. If Hitech and all the thinkers and programmers don't want that to change then I can live with it. But if I can spark some interest and it seems reasonable, well I hope then it will happen. I'm sure that I will get the final answer to this on the board one way or the other. I believe that it will add to the experience and to the spirit of the event. I mean hey, afterall, I was given command of three planes right?  :aok

2more cents worth. My next post I'll be hitting the couch!:O

Destiny brought you here, now FATE will deal with your six!

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Offline Bannor

• Nickel Member
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 10:42:55 PM »
My lucky day! I found 3 quarters 2 nickles and a dime in the couch! :aok  I was able to get next door and get change!:aok
I did forget to mention that the logs show that my plane, that was lost on the runway, was not counted against me but I'm unsure if this is true for the axis side, I'm just not certain.:confused:

Destiny brought you here, now FATE will deal with your six!

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Offline Spazzter

• Copper Member
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 03:41:42 PM »
Originally posted by Husky01
From what I heard someone up by 30 got ownt by some TBMs and had to ditch their niki I believe hehe :)

TBM's were cannon fodder for the A6M's at 26.  The allies did do a great job and just rolled us on the North side of the island.  Apparently, it is a good thing to have 30 extra pilots.  Was fun none the less and I look forward to next week.

<>
Spazz

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Okinawa Frame 2 Scores
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 05:49:13 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how filth took his hand off his stick long enough to get those kills.