Author Topic: A good fight?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
A good fight?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 07:30:32 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV

...what bothers him is the same people coming to the forum and ranting about 'good fights' when in reality they couldnt fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

If that is the case, how bout being a bit more specific? Using the scatter gun approach to make his point isn't accurate or very affective.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
A good fight?
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 07:50:40 AM »
I must be in the minority here. I seem to have at least one or two really good fights every time I log on and at least a few fights that border on great each tour. Obviously I get ganged, picked, Ho'd and vulched just like everyone else but in between it all are some truely excellent fights.

I had a couple of very good fights with Skatsr, Dedelos and really good 109 driver I'm drawing a blank on at the moment. Lost em all but continued pushing the A-20 rock up the hill a bit more vs the 'higher end" sticks. Also had some very fun moments with others (sunbat & acky come to mind) mixed in with a dozen or more truely fun hops that ended with me and my A-20 buried on the deck in a sea of red:)....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
A good fight?
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2007, 07:51:47 AM »
Originally posted by Bosco123
Whats with attacking the 190 series?
maybe 98% of the people that up them, do not intend to co-alt fight anyone that sortie!  So you get used to seeing 190's run from every type of engagement unless they can cherry or vulch!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Spazzter

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: A good fight?
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 09:15:32 AM »
Originally posted by WWM
This is why I like the MA's.  Never know who you will fight and always a different plane.  It's the ones, which seems to be a growing number, that purposely avoid the fight  if they do not have a distinct advantage that I'm talking about.

WWM,

As I was reading through these posts another thought came to mind.  I am not afraid of a fight and I don't mind dying, but I do enjoy flying to survive if I can and trying to make it home.  With that said there are times when my flying could be perceived by someone like you to be a runner.  For example, I was flying a P51D the other night and got mixed up with a spit8.  We made a few turns and of course the spit started getting the advantage in the turnfight.  I leveled out and kept my speed and extended so that I could continue the fight on my terms.  This action would be perceived by many to be running.  However, once I maintained 1.5k distance for about a minute I turned and dove into his advance.  He of course tried to intercept by starting an early turn to come on my six in the dive.  My speed allowed me to bleed his energy in a circle climb and then drop in to detach his wing from his plane.  I do this a lot with a tempest also.  There are times when you are faced with plane matchups that are just not in your favor and it is best to move on and find a different fight.  I am sure the spits and La's would love for me to play their game and turn, but I don't fall for that.  

Just my thoughts.  Call me what you will, but I usually can hold my own in the arenas.

Spazz

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
A good fight?
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2007, 09:38:09 AM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
If that is the case, how bout being a bit more specific? Using the scatter gun approach to make his point isn't accurate or very affective.

cc that NB,  i might be wrong but thats what it looked like WWM was saying :)
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Re: Re: Re: A good fight?
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2007, 10:07:28 AM »
Originally posted by Spazzter
WWM,

As I was reading through these posts another thought came to mind.  I am not afraid of a fight and I don't mind dying, but I do enjoy flying to survive if I can and trying to make it home.  With that said there are times when my flying could be perceived by someone like you to be a runner.  For example, I was flying a P51D the other night and got mixed up with a spit8.  We made a few turns and of course the spit started getting the advantage in the turnfight.  I leveled out and kept my speed and extended so that I could continue the fight on my terms.  This action would be perceived by many to be running.  However, once I maintained 1.5k distance for about a minute I turned and dove into his advance.  He of course tried to intercept by starting an early turn to come on my six in the dive.  My speed allowed me to bleed his energy in a circle climb and then drop in to detach his wing from his plane.  I do this a lot with a tempest also.  There are times when you are faced with plane matchups that are just not in your favor and it is best to move on and find a different fight.  I am sure the spits and La's would love for me to play their game and turn, but I don't fall for that.  

Just my thoughts.  Call me what you will, but I usually can hold my own in the arenas.

Spazz

I think, in cases like this, extending out 1.5k-3k is reseting the fight, not running. Running is when you extend out of icon range or more. You have no intent on fighting this fight any more.

Of course, those in a slower plane trying to catch the faster plane will call out ANY extension as running because they just can't keep up.

Play the game the way you want, but if you start patting yourself on the back on the boards, expect someone to have a complaint on "how you play" :rolleyes:

Offline P47Gra

• Copper Member
A good fight?
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2007, 12:49:27 PM »
One of the best encounters happened a few nights ago.

Flying a BUFF I encountered a 190.  I said to myself he will be easy to kill.  I am pretty good at the guns.  This guy knew all the spots to lay low and I missed my drop two times.  I would nail him at about 800 everytime and he would nick pick at me just outside my range.  He saved his base from being slammed shut.  I never got his call sign but it was the longest none bomb flight I ever had.  It also was the most entertaining.  My son and I learned alot from this driver and salute whoever you are.

JUGMAN

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
A good fight?
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2007, 12:50:27 PM »

I don't think this is beating around the bush to much:confused:

Originally posted by WWM
I am simply asking about the irony of people jizzing over how they "love a good fight" but yet do the above. And if so, what they really think a good fight is....? The person you just vulched or picked or ran from until your buddy picked him might have been the best fight of your year but now you will never know.
Jay12

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: A good fight?
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2007, 01:03:47 PM »
Originally posted by Spazzter
WWM,

Spazz

Anyone who has spent two dedicated months in the game knows the difference between extending in a plane that is not a turner so as to keep a foot in the fight and running if there is not such a great advantage that one can assure he can attack without any danger to his little plane.    
    I'm not splitting hairs. Last night I chased a 190 to 19,000 feet in a yak when he suddenly disappeared:confused: .
 I chased a F4u 1.5 grids out of spite till I run out of gas.  He saw my prop stop and decided it was time to attack.  Finally get Co-alt with a picking Typh and time to dive towards base.  So on and so forth.  I logged after 6 sorties.

edit.  OK - I'm sick and grumpy....maybe I should just quit posting.  Just wanted to stimulate some conversation and maybe make some people reflect.

And Humble.. You could have easily outrun my 109 but you fought:aok
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:27:09 PM by WWM »
Jay12

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
A good fight?
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2007, 01:23:28 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
...A Seafire bores in from dead ahead. He goes for the HO, but I skid out of the way and take a front quarter shot as he goes by. Hosed from spinner to rudder, the Seafire explodes... That's my idea of a good fight.

My regards,

Widewing

The spitfire goes for the HO, then you do not and only fire on a high deflection shot?  Where's the fight in that?  That's just jousting.  You did a skid to throw off his ho shot while you could take yours from a safer position.  You never know when the guy is starting to realize your nose is facing him and he might pull off to avoid a ho, only to be ho'd by you.

You want a good fight, earn it by getting behind your opponents 3/9 line first, then take your shot.  That's a good fight, and not just a kill.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Spazzter

• Copper Member
A good fight?
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 02:21:16 PM »
Originally posted by Masherbrum
My opinion will never matter, so the original question posed in the thread will go unanswered.

LOL Karaya, 9380 posts of my opinion doesn't matter.  You sir are a jokester.

<>
Spazz

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
A good fight?
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 03:54:25 PM »
Originally posted by WWM
I don't think this is beating around the bush to much:confused:

Originally posted by WWM
I am simply asking about the irony of people jizzing over how they "love a good fight" but yet do the above. And if so, what they really think a good fight is....? The person you just vulched or picked or ran from until your buddy picked him might have been the best fight of your year but now you will never know.

Really? Beating around the bush? Funny, the "people" in the above statement would appear to be non specific (ie., a generalization). Seriously, if you didn't get it before....(in the immortal words of granddad Rosannadanna...) NEVERMIND! :D
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
A good fight?
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2007, 04:03:11 PM »
Originally posted by WWM

Really? Beating around the bush? Funny, the "people" in the above statement would appear to be non specific (ie., a generalization). Seriously, if you didn't get it before....(in the immortal words of granddad Rosannadanna...) NEVERMIND! :D

I'm not going to attack anyone specific.  It's not me.(at this time)  They know who they are.  That's enough in my opinion.

Did my posts strike a chord in your song???
Jay12

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
A good fight?
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2007, 04:22:57 PM »
Originally posted by WWM

Did my posts strike a chord in your song???

Yes actually. The way you feel about these "people" is the way I feel about folks that come here and toss around generalizations. Now...strum away, maybe your song will get better. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
A good fight?
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »
I just have to ask.  If you run into "these people" once and they run from the fight are they now a runner?

I'm wondering how often you've run into "these people" to be able to charachterize them as you have.

I probably do or have done everything mentioned in your post but I've also gotten into more than my share of fights, good and bad.  It depends on my mood, my mission, my plane, the circumstances, etc., etc., etc.  Which of my sorties charachterizes me (other than the ones where I die :) )?

Unless you fight the very same people every day over and over (I don't seem to) I would think such judgements would be hard to make.  That said, after 3-4 run-in's I do begin to make a judgement.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.