Author Topic: Closing Down Orange Arena  (Read 1236 times)

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
Closing Down Orange Arena
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 06:49:50 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
I wish this was all that I had to worry about durring the day.

Me too

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 10:52:42 PM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
I am perfectly aware of why the caps are in place (though I don't agree with their necessity or how implemented) and generally how they have opperated over the past year.  My point was, this seemed outside the normal behavior for the cap limit and there was so little change in actual arena numbers (both LW's) that I wondered if the triggers (parameters) had been modified somehow.

during the day orange is 0/200 cap, when us prime starts to kick in, it drops to 0/120 while it waits for blue (0/170) to get some action.

This makes 4-7pm UK time (and i guess early morning for you) a bit frustrating because there is one arena with 160-200 players in it and a 120 cap, and another arena with 170 cap and only 20players.....

soon passes by though, its a price we have to pay to even the arenas out really.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 10:57:55 PM »
Some day, some of you people are actually going to learn how to read with comprehension.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 11:19:40 PM »
the caps make perfect sense..   when one arena gets full, they raise the limit on the OTHER arena.. the one people arent trying to get into, the one that is fine, the one that may be only half full or less..  
perfect sense, yes it makes it.

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 12:08:22 AM »
Seeing as how the two late war arenas are different now, one big map and one small map, the caps are no longer needed. Not that they were ever needed in the first place.
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 12:12:31 AM »
Originally posted by Wingnutt
the caps make perfect sense..   when one arena gets full, they raise the limit on the OTHER arena.. the one people arent trying to get into, the one that is fine, the one that may be only half full or less..  

Wrong. It's not working that way. An arena being less than half full  never gets it's cap raised.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 12:51:21 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Wrong. It's not working that way. An arena being less than half full  never gets it's cap raised.

The arena limits are governed as follows: As an example, if the Orange arena reaches a certain percentage of its maximum capacity, the server will adjust the Blue arena limit to a higher number

and this is seen frequently..

with orange at 124/120 and blue at 55/220

orange got loaded up, so blue got the cap raised, regardless ho many (or few) people are in it.

according to http://www.hitechcreations.com/frindex.html it wouldent matter if blue was EMPTY.. if orange hit the magic % blue will have its limit raised..

and yes of course it doesent make a lick of sense, of course it doesent work as intended, which is why you see a disgruntled customer posting a thread about it every single day.

especially now with 2 VASTLY different LW arenas, the "floating" limits (which never worked but were at worst mildly irritating) REALLY do not belong.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:55:37 AM by Wingnutt »

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 08:35:37 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
he can't tell, his tinfoil hat pulled down too far over his eyes.

I agree obviously an AFDB issue.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 08:50:05 AM »
The arena limits are governed as follows: As an example, if the Orange arena reaches a certain percentage of its maximum capacity, the server will adjust the Blue arena limit to a higher number

Your should have quoted the whole paragraph...

The arena limits are governed as follows: As an example, if the Orange arena reaches a certain percentage of its maximum capacity, the server will adjust the Blue arena limit to a higher number. When the Blue arena reaches a certain percentage of its limit, then the Orange arena limit is raised. Conversely, the arena limits are also reduced in the same manner.

It's worded a bit misleading, but i think everybody which has actually seen the caps moving during a day will get the notion. They are leap-frogging.

But let me put it into an example:

LWO 170/200
LWB 50/120

Of course, people try to get into LWO:

LWO 200/200
LWB 50/120

Now, contrary to what you said, the caps are NOT raised on LWB. It's not necessary, still enough room. Only when LWb itself gets fuller again LWO will be adjusted

LWO 200/200
LWB 170/200    ------> LWO cap increased to 200/320

Now when LWO is getting crowded again, it's LWB's turn to get it's cap raised

LWO 300/320
LWB 170/200 -----------> LWB cap increases.

And please take into account that LW arena caps switch from static to dynamic and back each day, which can result in some funny numbers for some time. Also the gradual downsizing of arena caps when player numbers start to decline late at night can have a similar effect.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 09:22:56 AM »
and yes of course it doesent make a lick of sense, of course it doesent work as intended, which is why you see a disgruntled customer posting a thread about it every single day.

:rofl  That's rich.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 09:33:55 AM »

It makes perfect sense. OK, lets make static caps for both LW arenas, 350 each. Orange hits its cap about 4 PM est, and thats it, you are now forced to fly in blue because the cap is not going to change, and odds are pretty good that the arena will stay full till 1 AM est.

The dynamic caps make the population jump around from one arena to the other. This keeps the caps moving and the arena populations fairly even. They have tried it with out dynamic caps and it was worst. The caps are here to stay, instead of complaining about it, get use to it.

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 10:16:04 AM »
I never had a prob getting into any arena.

I just flash my LTAR Members Card at the door, give the Daily Scuzzy password and I'm in.

Mac

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 11:51:42 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
he can't tell, his tinfoil hat pulled down too far over his eyes.

Hitting trees since tour 78