Author Topic: Closing Down Orange Arena  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
Closing Down Orange Arena
« on: December 26, 2007, 12:17:45 PM »
Was just in Orange Arena (middle of the day) which was maxed at 180.  Left to check on what was happening in Blue Arena, then tried to get back into Orange.  The limit had DROPPED to 120.  It read 179/120.  

Why would the arena limit drop by one third?  Blue was about 2/3 maxed at 101 people.  I don't see a reason to close down Orange like that.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 12:23:44 PM »
It's apperantly a secret reason only known by HT and CO. :noid

That or it's done just to piss you off...LOL
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 12:26:21 PM »
This is also interesting.  Went back and saw Orange arena numbers were 165/120, so went into Blue to talk to squaddie. Two minutes later I checked again and the numbers were 166/120.  So somehow, somebody slipped past the doorman and got in?  What's up with that?
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 12:27:02 PM »
Originally posted by SFCHONDO
It's apperantly a secret reason only known by HT and CO. :noid

That or it's done just to piss you off...LOL

Mission accomplished.  LOL  It has certainly succeeded.
Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 12:37:05 PM »
Further weirdness.  Just got into Orange with the numbers at 167/220.  So the limit increased up to 220.  Stayed in about 5 minutes before going back to Blue.  As I left I checked the numbers, and it was 155/120 for Orange again.  I watched over the next couple of minutes and it popped up to 220 limit for a bit, then back down to 120 limit again.

Certainly, someone is having a good laugh at our expense.  Or just mine.
Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 12:51:54 PM »
:noid  <----is there any of these flying around outside?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
:noid  <----is there any of these flying around outside?

he can't tell, his tinfoil hat pulled down too far over his eyes.

Offline cbizkit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 01:18:48 PM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
So somehow, somebody slipped past the doorman and got in?  What's up with that?
A little deductive logic having never seen the code, but I am pretty sure the logic to limit which arena you can join is controlled on your own FE. Since the arena numbers don't auto refresh if you sit in the lobby, if at the time you enter the lobby the arena shows openings, you could wait x amount of time and then join, regardless of what the current numbers are. There doesn't appear to be any server-side verification that you should be able to join.

IE: I've never had it say 199/200, then attempt to join and have it say the arena is full. I'm pretty sure the uproar about not being able to get in an arena would be much louder if there was server side validation as well as FE validation. As the logic appears to work now, getting in  under the cap is usually only a matter of trying for a minute or two if the arena is only over by one or two players.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 01:22:38 PM by cbizkit »
biz
71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 03:15:02 PM »
arena cap is stupid:noid :noid its a goverment conspiracy <---looks for tinfoil hat
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline KTM520guy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 04:16:21 PM »
Everything King Midas touches turns to gold. Everything Chuck Norris touches turns up dead.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 04:32:49 PM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
This is also interesting.  Went back and saw Orange arena numbers were 165/120, so went into Blue to talk to squaddie. Two minutes later I checked again and the numbers were 166/120.  So somehow, somebody slipped past the doorman and got in?  What's up with that?

I wish this was all that I had to worry about durring the day.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 06:02:07 PM »
search for rolling caps, they've been around for about a year now... still cant beleive people dont get it.....:noid
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 06:40:42 PM »
First of all, I wasn't "worried" about anything.  I saw a strange, unexplained anomalie and asked in case there was a simple explanation that I was unaware of.  Curiosity and annoyance were my primary drivers.

I ended up seeing the 'limit' go up and down from 180, down to 120, back up to 220, down again to 120, and finally up to 220 whereupon I got in and forgot all about it.  This happened in a time space of roughly 15 minutes.  It was just very strange bouncing around like that, to no seeming purpose.
Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2007, 06:44:44 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
search for rolling caps, they've been around for about a year now... still cant beleive people dont get it.....:noid

I am perfectly aware of why the caps are in place (though I don't agree with their necessity or how implemented) and generally how they have opperated over the past year.  My point was, this seemed outside the normal behavior for the cap limit and there was so little change in actual arena numbers (both LW's) that I wondered if the triggers (parameters) had been modified somehow.
Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 06:48:10 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
I wish this was all that I had to worry about durring the day.

yep sorta like when the evening news main story is about something stupid and/or trivial .. you know it is a good day
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder