Author Topic: why was the ozkansas clipboard map replaced?  (Read 729 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
why was the ozkansas clipboard map replaced?
« on: December 29, 2007, 06:56:23 AM »
its completely miscalibrated. sector bars are 10 miles off from sector grids. the coastline dosnt match the in game coastline.

and the origional ozkansas map was very nice and had cool details I thought.

whats the logic for replacing my clipboard map I made when i made ozkansas way back in ah1 with this current attrocity?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 12:12:39 PM by Skuzzy »
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 09:51:28 AM »
You should get the rest of the muppets to dot report Hitech.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 09:53:43 AM »
:rofl
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 09:57:34 AM »
Originally posted by Yknurd
:rofl

Oink
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »
Fester I've noticed all of the maps are being replaced with the grayscale land mass type map. I know most of mine have changed too.

I think it may have to do with some icon visibility issues with certain shadings. I know I have major problems with the new map mesaview. No matter what color combination I try, I can't see many of the base icons.

The radar bars not lining up has something to do with your terrain and the CB map making program. Compello has been changed and there isn't a problem with that. I think ozkansas was an odd sized terrain wasn't it? I mean it was a 256 mile terrain set in a 512 scale or something out of the ordinary like that. That may explain the problems getting the radar bars to line up properly.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:09:31 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 10:33:03 AM »
Mr. Dale Addink is pending a meeting with the Muppet lawyers as soon as we find where he's hiding in Transilvania Drunky, you're too late on that one...  We've got friends in high places, buddy.

NHawk - The maps on (IIRC) Okinawa and Winter Rhine (used in this last XMas/Germany fso) have the type of clipboard map that shouldn't be any problem for anyone short of total color blindnes.. On OZKansas the sectors aren't even aligned with the sector darbars.  
A simple topographical map with soft landmass edges would be enough, something like this: http://rst.gsfc.nasa.gov/Sect11/topographic-map.jpg
There were maps like this in the MA already, it should be the standard.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:38:31 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 11:00:42 AM »
LOL

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 11:33:32 AM »
Originally posted by moot
NHawk - The maps on (IIRC) Okinawa and Winter Rhine (used in this last XMas/Germany fso) have the type of clipboard map that shouldn't be any problem for anyone short of total color blindnes.. On OZKansas the sectors aren't even aligned with the sector darbars.  
A simple topographical map with soft landmass edges would be enough, something like this: http://rst.gsfc.nasa.gov/Sect11/topographic-map.jpg
There were maps like this in the MA already, it should be the standard.
I agree the topo maps are great, but the color choices need to be reviewed. These screen captures are using standard base icon and text colors..

mesaview...

rhinewin...

I was also pointing out that the radar bars not lining up with the sector bars may have something to do with the ozkansas terrain itself since compello was re-done with the same program used to do ozkansas and it doesn't show the same symptoms as ozkansas. Note the radar bar position in the sector west of HQ on these two maps.

original compello cb map...

new compello cb map...

Edit: You have to remember that Fester had a habit of doing some very inventive things with his terrains. This was good from a gameplay standpoint, but it could be having a negative effect on standard conversions when the game changes. IE: the radar bars not lining up properly may have something to do with an inventive thing he did when he made the terrain. Only he can say what that might be.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 12:03:09 PM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »

:rofl :rofl :cry
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 11:46:47 AM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
imo
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »
the off centered dar bars helps down play the unrealistic gods eye dar bar view
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 12:01:38 PM »
:aok :lol

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 12:11:58 PM »
Do you expect the community to answer this?

I will never understand why all this drama is neccessary.  The terrain clipboard map was replaced as it did not match the actual terrain after the terrain was converted to use the new tiles.

The misaligned sectors will be corrected when I get back from holidays.

In the future, if you want an answer Citabria, I would strongly suggest email instead of ranting on the bulletin board.  These are getting old.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com