Author Topic: Strato Bomber DWEEBS!  (Read 6897 times)

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« on: March 20, 2000, 02:14:00 PM »
I hate the lamers that fly their bombers to 40K...

I'm starting to see more and more of this kind of lameness.  Several known squads are starting to do this on a regular basis.  I have a film of bomber at 38K that fly's with one of the more upstanding squads here.  I know The Wrecking Crew, and many other squads frown on this type of dweebness.

How do you guys feel about this?  

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

[This message has been edited by Mox (edited 03-20-2000).]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2000, 02:29:00 PM »
I feel like the B-17 or B-26 couldn't reach 38k in reality.  B-17 had a max altitude of 33k.  I don't know what the max altitude of the B-26 was, but something that was nicknamed the Flying Prostitute because it had no visible means of support couldn't have gone too much over 30k.

That said, I don't really like the trend of calling people "dweebs" because they use their equipment in ways that are hard to deal with.  Everybody is going to use what they have to the greatest effect.  People who fly their bombers high do it because it is effective.  People who fly the F4U-1C do so because it is effective (I don't like that a plane which saw 1 hour of combat is modeled, but I don't blame people for using it.  Look at the kill rates, it is the only plane with a kill rate that is distinctly better that 1 for 1, it has about a 1 for 1.8).  I'm not a dweeb because I fly a Spitfire (its not that good, look at the kill rates, its at less than 1 for 1).

Sisu

[This message has been edited by Karnak (edited 03-20-2000).]
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Sn1p3r

Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2000, 02:31:00 PM »
I agree that this is getting old.  It would be one thing if the operational ceilings of all the planes were correctly modeled, but I was in a F4U the other day chasing a B17 who was at 32K.  Once I got to 30K the F4U became to unstable to fly .. the tail swinging back and forth, no power ... very frustrating.  I thought the operational ceiling on the F4U was 36K??

Regardless, the strato buff's are getting REALLY old.  I know that the wrecking crew and the musketeers generally fly no higher than 25K and usually around 21K.

I guess the same argument can be made about this as the sitting on the spawn point thread ... if the game allows it, then why not ... but I still think IMHO that strato buffs are a little much.

-Sn1p3r

Hans

Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2000, 02:38:00 PM »
Karnak is correct.

Altitude is the proper tactic when using bombers.  It evens the playing field out in their benefit.

There is nothing wrong with what they are doing.  Same goes for head on attacks.

If it works, then it isn't stupid.

Hans.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2000, 03:01:00 PM »
Hi all

Each aircraft has an it's own plus points - the 109 its speed and rate of climb, the Spit its turn rate, the Nik with its deadly cannons... blah, blah, blah... So, I don't see anything wrong with using the bombers advantage - its ceiling capabilities.  It takes bombers ages to get to this height, and a P38 can make the same height in half the time, if the pilot decides to chase then it's up to him.  I bombed at lower altitudes and you often get shot down, so which is it?  Fly high (25k-33k) and get to your target and help your countrymen, or fly lower and take a lot more risk (and loads of time wasted in flight)?  If the target is an airfield in 'your territory' you can afford to fly lower, but taking out the nme Radar at low height is almost suicidal unless in numbers...

What next?  "Hey you 109 guys using your faster speed to catch me, not fair..."  

'Nexx'

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 03-20-2000).]
NEXX

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2000, 03:05:00 PM »

Originally posted by Karnak:

That said, I don't really like the trend of calling people "dweebs" because they use their equipment in ways that are hard to deal with.
(edited 03-20-2000).]

It's called exploiting in my book.  It was not designed to be this way, thus a person doing this that IS aware of the bug is exploiting a known bug.

Whats the point of taking a Buff so high that you are out of the range of ALL enemy fighters?  Is that really a challenge?  
I guess I just don't get it...

I've seen this more and more... both the Knights and the Bishops are doing this DAILY.  If I see a Rook do this I usually ask them to bring the strato down to a reasonable alt.

How about the major squads agree on a max alt?

FYI if you look at my poor stats you'll see I spend a lot of time in bombers and I've never flown above 32K (except for testing) on a bomb run.  

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

[This message has been edited by Mox (edited 03-20-2000).]

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2000, 03:07:00 PM »
While I agree on the 25k (loaded) to 30k (unloaded) service ceilings, I wonder if any Hog or Spit driver would stop attacking me because I fly an allied plane?

You want historic behaviour for buffs but fighter jocks can use the fantasy setup how they like it.

Az

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2000, 03:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by Replicant:

Each aircraft has an it's own plus points - the 109 its speed and rate of climb, the Spit its turn rate, the Nik with its deadly cannons... blah, blah, blah... So, I don't see anything wrong with using the bombers advantage - its ceiling capabilities.  'Nexx'

Yes but you should know that your exploiting a bug since the bombers were not designed to go that high and didn't in real life.

I don't have a problem with a person i a G10 running it at it's maximum speed, because it was designed (in game) to do that... what if the G10 actually flew at 900mph?  Would you say "go ahead and use it?"   Even though you knew that the plane was not designed (in game) to do that and never did in real life?

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2000, 03:20:00 PM »

Originally posted by azrael:
While I agree on the 25k (loaded) to 30k (unloaded) service ceilings, I wonder if any Hog or Spit driver would stop attacking me because I fly an allied plane?

You want historic behaviour for buffs but fighter jocks can use the fantasy setup how they like it.

Az

I think the term I'm looking for is "accurate" not "historic".

I look forward to a Historical Arena, I feel that is where I'd spent a lot of my flying time.

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2000, 03:29:00 PM »
Hi

Originally posted by Mox:
Yes but you should know that your exploiting a bug since the bombers were not designed to go that high and didn't in real life.

I don't have a problem with a person i a G10 running it at it's maximum speed, because it was designed (in game) to do that... what if the G10 actually flew at 900mph?  Would you say "go ahead and use it?"     Even though you knew that the plane was not designed (in game) to do that and never did in real life?

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

I think there are many exploitations going on, not just bombing, look at the spawn points etc...  'If it all was real, we'd all be dead...' (He's dead Jim!   )  Then again, bombers would be bombing in large formations with little friends etc... something that doesn't happen often in AH.  As for the 'it didn't really fly that high in real life', well, I haven't a clue what height the B17 really flew at, and I don't go round looking at all the stats for each aircraft and then only fly them to those stats (because I don't know half of them, and some books give different info to other books!   )  If enough people are disenchanted with the capabilities then HTC might do something about it...

Anyway, I think it's still a wonderful game and bloody good show HTC!    

'Nexx'

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 03-20-2000).]
NEXX

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2000, 03:33:00 PM »
Any B17 over 28k is a superdweeb, and probably a scorepotato to boot.  Period.  I rarely even make it into the 20's when I'm flying a buff, usually only up to about 15k.

Maybe if they gave the .50s thier teeth back it might help with this problem.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2000, 03:42:00 PM »

Originally posted by CavemanJ:
Any B17 over 28k is a superdweeb, and probably a scorepotato to boot.  Period.  I rarely even make it into the 20's when I'm flying a buff, usually only up to about 15k.

Maybe if they gave the .50s thier teeth back it might help with this problem.

Good point CJ, I have noticed a increase in the number of stratodweebs since the guns were nerfed.

Maybe the nerfing has caused some pilots to go completly out of range of any weapon in the game.  I just don't get it....

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2000, 04:14:00 PM »
 The guns in the bombers are fine IMO,if anything they are killed too easy and need durability raised.. Also if your so concerned with historic accuracy then you wont attack a bomber unless your flying an axis plane-right? BTW,saying it`s only the Bishop and Knights doing it is a crock of sh*t and you know it! How about you gaming the game in your Spitfire shooting paratroops cave? I guess you think thats historic? I haven`t been flying the super high buff runs -usually I go no higher than 27k-but you can bet if I know a F4U1c with it`s holy water hispanos is coming I`ll go as high as needed to escape that one ping wonder,with this plane in the arena I don`t blame any buff driver for grabbing as much alt as they can.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2000, 04:19:00 PM »
slight difference in the superdweebdom of flying the 17s over 28k and strafing troops w/ the armored nancyboy dweebmobile.  The 17s couldna fly that high, period.  Because of factors that either can't be or aren't modeled the ones in AH can.
And most of the time when I strafe troops I'm already in the air when they were dropped.  That day at 15 I happened to sit back down in time to see a low dot approaching so I launched cause I knew it was a goon.  Next time bring cover.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
Strato Bomber DWEEBS!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2000, 05:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by weazel:
BTW,saying it`s only the Bishop and Knights doing it is a crock of sh*t and you know it! How about you gaming the game in your Spitfire shooting paratroops cave? I guess you think thats historic? I haven`t been flying the super high buff runs -usually I go no higher than 27k-but you can bet if I know a F4U1c with it`s holy water hispanos is coming I`ll go as high as needed to escape that one ping wonder,with this plane in the arena I don`t blame any buff driver for grabbing as much alt as they can.

Weazel,
I'm not saying that Rooks don't fly strato bombers, I'm saying it's generaly frowned upon.  I will make it a point to tell the Rooks that are doing it, and they usually agree and come down to a reasonable alt.

Weazel, all I ask, is that you do the same to your country.  Fair enough? Some of the problem is education, if a newbie does it I understand I will try to explain why it's frowned upon.

Strafing troops is entirely different.. it did happen in history and was a very common occurance.  I'm not argueing the problems with strafing and believe me I have some stronge opinions on that too!  

The F4UC problem needs a thread on it's own... I agree with you on the Hogs cannons.

Mox
The Wrecking Crew