Author Topic: landing  (Read 876 times)

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
landing
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »
when you land and then you acidently skid off the runway you dont land you dich i think if you land anywhere on an air field you should get landing
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
landing
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 06:51:30 PM »
No.

If you accidently skidded off the runway, you didn't land, you ditched.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
landing
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »
Not a bug.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
landing
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:27:29 PM »
No.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
landing
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 08:56:53 PM »
NOT A BUG

that is all

you might want to add this to the wish list forum that is all
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
landing
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 10:24:08 PM »
or....you could run a search for this "ditch off runway" and find enough reading material for a week or two.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
landing
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:09:05 AM »
If you can't land on the cement, you don't deserve the little extra perks you get and the name in lights thing.

donkey

PS:  If you're in a 38 and one of your missing parts is on cement and you .ef, does that count as a landing?:aok
2sBlind

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
landing
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 07:45:46 AM »
The biggest contradiction in the whole landing concept is that...

... when you belly land with a completely wrecked plane on the runway, you get "landed succesfully"

and

... when you land an undamaged plane and one of its wheels rolls off the tarmac, you get "ditched".

IMHO, the whole airbase area should produce "landed succesfully" results, and even better if one was required to land on undamaged wheels to get it.
Any belly landing should be a ditch.. just like any wheels down landing outside of the air base area.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
landing
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
Hitech has said before it's a matter of picking a line and drawing it. He chose to do it this way to make a "successful landing" a challenge. You end flight on the cement, and it's safe. You don't, it's not.

There's no way to replicate real life, because as long as the pilot didn't DIE he was "safe" -- and in this game we die more than we land I bet. Historically anything where the pilot was alive was a good one. "Any landing you can walk away from..."

But this game isn't historical combat. This game just gives you the same tools, the gameplay is entirely unique, and not related to WW2 in most cases. So, why should it try to simulate historic rules for landing when nothing else is very historical, eh?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
landing
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 10:52:16 AM »
I've had it happen a few times. Was RTB with oil and fuel leaks, good number of kills I wanted to land, and 5 miles from base. Ran out of fuel and tried to glide it in, but fell short of the runway and gota ditch. The other time I hada wheel missing, came in nice and slow, my plane slides off the runway just short of the large pad. Also a ditch.

I say that anything inside the airfield should be a successful landing, but anything outside the airfield (including just 2 inches from end of runway) should be a ditch.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
landing
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »
Originally posted by Latrobe

I say that anything inside the airfield should be a successful landing, but anything outside the airfield (including just 2 inches from end of runway) should be a ditch.

You would get the same complaints.

And if anywhere on a field is considered a landing, why even bother to try to land on runway? Just smash your plane anywhere on a field... no, thank you.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
landing
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 11:51:46 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
There's no way to replicate real life, because as long as the pilot didn't DIE he was "safe" -- and in this game we die more than we land I bet. Historically anything where the pilot was alive was a good one. "Any landing you can walk away from..."

Maybe that was the case in those air forces that had endless plane resources.

However, there were other air forces (or situations) that had more pilot resources than actual planes to fly with. In those cases the planes themselves were extremely valuable and were not to be wasted when possible.

In this light I would rather value the real successful landing over any precision bellylanding (=ditching) on the runway. A landing that leaves the plane flyable is the real successful landing.... and it should have nothing to do with the spot where one exits at the air base.

My 2 cents anyways ;)

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
landing
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:20:13 PM »
i mean like there is like an exta 20 feet on ethere side of the runway that counds as a landing
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
landing
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »
Originally posted by splitatom
i mean like there is like an exta 20 feet on ethere side of the runway that counds as a landing

Then someone will want 50ft.  Then it'll be the whole airfield.  Then they'll want runways at gv bases, and then be able to land successfully on the water.  It'll never end, just give it up and land on cement if its that big of a deal.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
landing
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:01:07 PM »
Nope.  No need to change the current setup.

Oink
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!