Author Topic: Wings Of Insanity  (Read 880 times)

Offline Insanity

• Zinc Member
      • http://bishopsunited.makeforum.org/
Wings Of Insanity
« on: January 02, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »
Dear players of Aces high 2,

My name is Kjeld Langeveld,I live in The Netherlands and i'm 17 years old, I'm better known in Aces High 2 as "Insanity" maybe some of you ever flew with me.
I used to fly in the early days of Aces high, better known as "PigeonZ" Flying under the Merc-Air squad.

But back to the point,
I thought up to make a movie a little 3 weeks ago, I was watching a crappy movie on TV and thought, "sheezzz I can do much better than that" That's how my project started to roll.

I'm planning to make a movie of about 30 minutes long, Now I'm still busy with the script, offcourse it will be about flying.

I got all the preparations ready in the software part,

- Fraps
- Sony Vegas
- 3D studio MAX

But I'm planning for a major battle in the end, and a few small one's in the middle.
I need allot of help in this movie i'm gonna need about 100 fighter pilots to shoot the battle's.
And to play the cast.

If you want to participate with this movie please make a post on my squad forum. ( link will be here soon )
Or post a little message here, so i can count how many players will allready be in and want to help me out with other stuff, Camera works, special effects and Coordination.  

I also want to ask to the administrators of the forum, to make this a sticky as soon I got 20 people or more participating.

I've got about 4 years experience with movie editing and recording,

I helped making this movie, special effects are my work.

Sorry for the bad quality ( and yes.... I used to play World Of Warcraft )

I hope many players will help me out, it will be a long proces but it will be worth it.

Many Greets,
Kjeld "Insanity" Langeveld.

(P.S: Sorry for all spell fouls, still have much to learn at school.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:56:10 PM by Insanity »

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 07:00:29 PM »
i will do it but i need to know the time that is my limiting factor do it on wekend i can do it almost any time exept for 10-6 but every weakend other any time on the wekend
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Insanity

• Zinc Member
Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 07:06:55 PM »
Originally posted by splitatom
i will do it but i need to know the time that is my limiting factor do it on wekend i can do it almost any time exept for 10-6 but every weakend other any time on the wekend

If you participate we will plan everything a month forward, so everyone has time when we are shooting the film.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »
Originally posted by Insanity
I used to fly in the early days of Aces high, better known as "PigeonZ" Flying under the Merc-Air squad.

I know it's off topic, but FlaydONE (my bro) started out with Merc-Air. Have you flown with him? This would have been four years or so back.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 06:52:47 AM »
heheh sounds interesting

I would be up for it

If you can fit an aussie squad in I am sure I could get more prawns to join in.... (but ya gotta make us all look cool :p )
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 06:56:33 AM by mussie »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 03:48:59 PM »
WOW! If you are planning on making a 30 min + film you had better have a good story-line worked out!

(Can't help out.)
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Wings of Insanity?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »
Any relation to the Cliffs of Insanity?

Offline Insanity

• Zinc Member
Re: Wings of Insanity?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 05:54:06 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Any relation to the Cliffs of Insanity?

Never heared of that before sorry,

for futher notice, i got a few idea's for the story line, as soon there are enough people who are willing to help me, i will start writing a script, deadline of 2 weeks,.

I'm gonna write 24/7 from then on.

Offline Insanity

• Zinc Member
Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 05:55:27 PM »
Originally posted by mussie
heheh sounds interesting

I would be up for it

If you can fit an aussie squad in I am sure I could get more prawns to join in.... (but ya gotta make us all look cool :p )

Sounds great !, everybody will look cool in the film !, Credits.. Credits...Credit....Credi.... Cred.... ZzzZZzzZzzzzZZ

Offline Insanity

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 05:56:42 PM »
Originally posted by thndregg
I know it's off topic, but FlaydONE (my bro) started out with Merc-Air. Have you flown with him? This would have been four years or so back.

I don't really remember sorry sir
But i do remember, jackel, Jodgi, eivind, Spot1 .. =)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 06:12:58 PM »
Originally posted by Insanity

I need allot of help in this movie i'm gonna need about 100 fighter pilots to shoot the battle's.

This may be quite possibly your biggest challenge.  You'd almost have to have a FSO night set aside to get 100 pilots.  And since the majority of players are US bound, you'd probably have to film odd hours on your time.  Your WoW movie had an impressive number of people, but remember WoW servers and WoW players are much more plentiful than those of Aces High.

I suggest trying to fake 100 pilots.  Say you've got 15 guys in B-17s in formation, do a split screen of a second shot of the same guys and double your numbers.  That'd be the very easiest way to do it, there are certainly others.

Attempting to communicate and coordinate 100 pilots in game would be nearly impossible.  It's hard enough for 'some' COs to coordinate 5 guys in their squad during a mission.  I've made several movies in FPS games and for some sequences, trying to coordinate 6 guys to do one thing is quite frustrating.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble.  I just know that something on that scale is very difficult.  Dare I say it, you may need IL2 to set up CPU drones to do something really large scale.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »
Also, to coordinate 100 people, you'd need voice communication.  This probably will exceed AH's vox capabilities and you'd need something like Ventrillo.  I wouldn't get EVERYONE in on vox, but a select few to coordinate down.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Insanity

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 08:26:01 PM »
Originally posted by Fulmar
And since the majority of players are US bound, you'd probably have to film odd hours on your time.  Your WoW movie had an impressive number of people, but remember WoW servers and WoW players are much more plentiful than those of Aces High.

Attempting to communicate and coordinate 100 pilots in game would be nearly impossible.  It's hard enough for 'some' COs to coordinate 5 guys in their squad during a mission.  I've made several movies in FPS games and for some sequences, trying to coordinate 6 guys to do one thing is quite frustrating..

All True All true, But i don't mind shooting the film in odd hours, as far as I know, i sleep at school, and play AH2 in the deep nights ( for me ) with you guys,

Coordinating a 100 man should not be te problem, If used to play allot of Counter-strike, before i even start AH or WoW, Coordinating 6 man was not the problem, making the 6 man listen... was the most difficult, That's one of the reasons i want to make rules and plan everything in advance so no mistakes will be made.

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »
Hi Insanity,

Do you plan on asking for the Special Events Arena for a few hours?  You'll have to ask for permission and set appointments with HTC.  Also, will you need a special map?  Custom skins for planes?  Types of shots?  You going to use the Film Viewer to record your shots or are you going to record live in the game?  Or do you plan on filming in the MA or the AvA?  

Make sure you can do what you want to do as soon as possible.  Learn about all the problems you'll have with Aces High with a smaller film first.  There are tons of obstacles you'll run into depending on how complex your film will be.

See my signature and click on Carrier Sortie for an example of what you can do with up to 3 players at one time.  It took 3 weeks of filming, editing, writing, scripting, hosting, encoding.  It was very fun and difficult.  I had a old computer at the time back in 2006.  I too had a special project I spent nearly a year on, but I finally caved after Head to Head shut down, which was the last straw.  I may pick up on the project again when H2H opens up again or when I get the courage to ask for the SEA.  I'll be watching this project of yours closely and I'd like to volunteer any help you may need.

You sound like you are very energized to do the project now.  I really do hope that you can maintain this excitement until the end of your project, be it a year from now.  Good Luck Insanity!

P.S.  There's a lot more information I'd like to share with you, but I'll hold back for now.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Wings Of Insanity
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »
Originally posted by mussie
heheh sounds interesting

I would be up for it

As a squad-mate of Mussie's, I second this.

I am a Luftwaffe nut and if i'm not mistaken, Mussie is a little bit too.

The rest of our squad, the Raw Prawns, are more into allied aircraft.. I'm sure some of them would be happy to join in for the other side.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"