Author Topic: getting HOST CONNECTION lost but not losing connection.  (Read 575 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
getting HOST CONNECTION lost but not losing connection.
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:11:01 PM »
Ive had this happen, at least once every 4 hours or so I would guess..

im playing along doing fine, talking to squaddies and suddenly I get the "TCP lost switching to UDP or, whatever it says..

but im still talking, the text buffer is still moving, people still hear me, me them, everything is working perfectly, nothing ever missed a beat.. then WHAM  HOST CONNECTION LOST..

immediately i check my internet and everything is working, i ping the servers, everything good...

its like the game THINKS for some reason  im losing conenction and booting me

I logged into my modem and checked the codes (EX: 080103163226   6-Notice   I401.0   TLV-11 - unrecognized OID)  etc etc, and everything looks good, no discos no problems.

:cry

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »
when ever you get that mesage on my machine i do this land dich or get killed quick you have like 2 min
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »
well usually when i get a "legit" disco (the few times I have) when it pops up saying its switching to UDP etc etc.. the text buffer stops moving, as does speech..  planes dissappear.. etc etc then the host lost message and boot

this is different.. everything is working perfect, connection is good, can see plans flying fighting, text buffer is moving, can hear squaddies.. im still connected.. but it kicks me saying im not.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »
Sounds like a possible DHCP refresh.  If it is too slow, which it can be for some networks, then it could cause that.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »
Well I know the blade im on has had issues in the past, it dropped all 4 nodes a few weeks ago so that may have something to do with it.  I didnt replace it only re-seated it (no budget left in 07 :rolleyes:  )

now that the 08 budget is in i'll probably replace it next week and see if that helps.

lord knows I dont want to get that call at 2am again  "hey, this is the tyler NOC< we are showing 1400 modems just dropped off".... :(

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:23:10 PM »
Ok this just happened again, but it was even more obvious..

I was flying along and BOOM, i get the "host connection lost" pop up in the middle of the screen..  no warning in the message bar, nothing..

but the strange thing, while im looking at this popup.. i can still hear people on vox talking..

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 06:30:57 PM »
OK THIS IS BULL****!!

it just happened AGAIN, this time I was in a 262 and lost 200+ points because of it.

it gave me the "TCP lost switching to UDP"

I hit record when this happened,  sure enough, "UDP QUIT RECIEVING, SWITCHING TO TCP" comes up, you can hear people talking, everyhting is working just fine..  

and BAM.. "HOST CONNECTION LOST"  (though for some reason you dont see that dialogue in the film)

HERE IS FILM

this started out as annoying, but now i just lost ALOT of perk points.. for nothing.

Im wondering if this has anything to do with the VOX issue so many people are having (including me)..

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 07:09:14 PM »
I get the same thing and have been for a while.  Do a Ping Plotter and see if you go through Level3 some place on the way to HTC's server.... that's where the problem is.  I just deal with it as mine is on the hour every hour...
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline swoopy

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
ive had the same problem last month and the begining of this month had 43 discos in total.

I get no warning what so ever that anything is wrong , i still get text, voice,  still get planes chasing me or vice verser.

The only give away is if i write a `test` text on one of the channels, if i dont see it i know ive gone. But strange thing is the worlds still normal.

By the time ive discoed more than John Travolta, i phoned my ISP up and increased from 2M to 4M cable this didnt resolve the issue. After a speed test i wasnt even getting 2meg speed appently it was down to my UBR in my local area.

I havent had any problems with my network now fingers crossed
Vosnik
9 GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 04:13:34 PM »
Yeah, tough to troubleshoot a connection without the trace route. If it happens again, run ping-plotter as soon as you get the desktop. If you are on a Hybrid Fiber Coax (cable) network, it almost sounds like a troublesome transmitter at the node. Have your NOC look at the route to that node and see what they say. Noise floor elevated?

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 06:54:42 PM »
the NOC would call me if we had noise, plus there would be other customers in this node calling in with intermittent HSI problems.

ive run a few ping tests from the lobby before, last time it got to 700+ packets, of which i lost 3.. which is nothing.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 11:57:12 PM »
11:50PM CST

just happened again , was going into land.. got "switching to UDP" crap, then got message switching back to TCP..  then DISCO..

was headed in to land kills.

logged into modem, everything looks good

logged in to edge health, NODE looks good, T3 count for modem looks good.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 07:39:11 AM »
Then you know that lost packets can happen anywhere along the route at any router/switch.

I checked the status on the server and our switch and no packets have been lost/dropped there.

The switch to TCP is strictly due to timeouts on UDP.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 07:46:10 AM »
get pingplotter, and ping one of the main arenas from 11:40 to 12:10 CST Set it to ping every 5 seconds or so.  Post the results. It only takes a millisecond disconnect for you to to start switching and drop you out (thats why "cable pulling" doesn't work).

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 01:24:29 PM »