Author Topic: Voss?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Redlegs

• Silver Member
Voss?
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »
I keep hearing stories about someone named Voss. Who is he, and why do is he a joke? I searched his name and from what I read I couldn't find anything except he complained a lot. I did see someone playing COD4:MW under the name Voss and asked if he ever heard of a game called Aces High, but he didn't respond.

Resident Arizona Cardinals/Cincinnati Reds fan

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Voss?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Voss?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:35:14 PM »
This just keeps getting better and better...
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Voss?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »
Another Voss thread!! wheeeeeeeeeeee!
I play COD4 (PC) but haven't run into him.  If he does contact you I'm sure he'll tell you he is working on a virtual reality FPS and he will give you a great investment opportunity. Don't forget to ask him for a ride in his f16 and p51

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Voss?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »
Christmas Crash  map!  love that map.

The X-box version doesn't have the big Christmas tree.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Voss?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 04:55:56 PM »
And watch out for the scorpions and KGB agents following him.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Voss?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »

Offline Redlegs

• Silver Member
Voss?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 05:18:11 PM »
Can I get a serious answer someone?
Resident Arizona Cardinals/Cincinnati Reds fan

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Voss?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 05:24:05 PM »
You didn't see the 40+ page thread on him in your research?  He told several people in the flight sim community he was making a new, awesome, amazing flight sim.  Pictures were posted, but they were just artwork.  Some people lost thousands of dollars in "investments" in the game to Paul Hinds AKA Voss.
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
Voss?
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 05:29:03 PM »
When it comes to the subject of Voss, I doubt you'll find an answer through the ridicule. FWIW you could try a more in depth search of the BBS, and you may find some answers.
Suffice to say he appears to have taken advantage of the flight-sim community in general with false promises of a new and greatly improved style of combat simulation. Some folks even parted with money to help development of what appears to be a vapourware product. It's not an uncommon scam, gamers are sometimes too eager to part with their hard earned for a taste of something that offers a greater experience.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Voss?
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »
From what I remember...

Voss decided to start his own MMPOG flight sim. He recruited a few people to help out and someone donated some hardware to help him develop the game. He announced it as a game that would do everything. The most realistic FM, the most realistic strategy and the most realistic everything he forgot to mention.

The threads started to get a bit fun at that time. People started with "WB sucks... TAS is going to have this in it..." threads and things got ugly quickly. Side note: this is why nobody with experience with on-line sims should weigh promises against existing product - lesson learned.

People got a little tired of promises and wanted to see some results. Voss posted a "screenshot" from the game that was quickly identified as a drawing. This opened a can of worms as voss had given us a brief look at his true nature. People began to question everything.

He'd also claimed to be a PhD and to have graduated from the Air Force Academy. Someone who had attended the academny wanted to know when. Voss answered vaguely, but it was about the same time he'd graduated from there so he checked to see if he was in a class ahead of or behind him. It turns out Voss had never attended.

Voss also claimed to have flown an F-16 in Desert storm (for the CIA) and to have had a couple of kills. This "lie" I find particularly funny. Voss has an RC model of an F-16. He still maintains that flying it is just like flying the real thing and still calls himself an F-16 pilot. The "I'm an f-16 pilot" thing grew into a totally uncontrollable lie.

As all of his lies were being unravelled... the really wierd stories started up. First, he was out because he was bitten by a scorpion in the desert. Then, the brain tumor (shich would definately explain everything else). Both of those turned out to be lies too.

That's about when everything TAS pretty much died out.

Of course, this community has a long memory, so when voss came back to AH and started getting preachy about morals and ethics, it wasn't too warmly received. Thus "the biggest egos in the game" thread grew to about 350 posts, most of which were bashing voss.

That's a great thread to read. Voss still manages to get a few gems in such as "You've all violated your NDA from the TAS beta. Be expecting a call from the FBI shortly.".

Damn... he's a constant reminder that even the worst people in the game pale in comparison.

MiniD

I knew MiniD would be good for something since his PNG.

Or, as SOB said, "Gay, gay, gay, stupid gay, gay, gay, gay, gay." or words to that affect.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Voss?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 05:42:54 PM »
http://www.combatsim.com/review.php?id=399

for an 1997 interview with Mr. Voss about his (then) upcoming game TAS
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Voss?
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
From what I remember...

Voss decided to start his own MMPOG flight sim. He recruited a few people to help out and someone donated some hardware to help him develop the game. He announced it as a game that would do everything. The most realistic FM, the most realistic strategy and the most realistic everything he forgot to mention.

The threads started to get a bit fun at that time. People started with "WB sucks... TAS is going to have this in it..." threads and things got ugly quickly. Side note: this is why nobody with experience with on-line sims should weigh promises against existing product - lesson learned.

People got a little tired of promises and wanted to see some results. Voss posted a "screenshot" from the game that was quickly identified as a drawing. This opened a can of worms as voss had given us a brief look at his true nature. People began to question everything.

He'd also claimed to be a PhD and to have graduated from the Air Force Academy. Someone who had attended the academny wanted to know when. Voss answered vaguely, but it was about the same time he'd graduated from there so he checked to see if he was in a class ahead of or behind him. It turns out Voss had never attended.

Voss also claimed to have flown an F-16 in Desert storm (for the CIA) and to have had a couple of kills. This "lie" I find particularly funny. Voss has an RC model of an F-16. He still maintains that flying it is just like flying the real thing and still calls himself an F-16 pilot. The "I'm an f-16 pilot" thing grew into a totally uncontrollable lie.

As all of his lies were being unravelled... the really wierd stories started up. First, he was out because he was bitten by a scorpion in the desert. Then, the brain tumor (shich would definately explain everything else). Both of those turned out to be lies too.

That's about when everything TAS pretty much died out.

Of course, this community has a long memory, so when voss came back to AH and started getting preachy about morals and ethics, it wasn't too warmly received. Thus "the biggest egos in the game" thread grew to about 350 posts, most of which were bashing voss.

That's a great thread to read. Voss still manages to get a few gems in such as "You've all violated your NDA from the TAS beta. Be expecting a call from the FBI shortly.".

Damn... he's a constant reminder that even the worst people in the game pale in comparison.

MiniD

I knew MiniD would be good for something since his PNG.

Or, as SOB said, "Gay, gay, gay, stupid gay, gay, gay, gay, gay." or words to that affect.

Don't forget the photo he posted of him in a P51 that was proven to be a photoshop fake.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Voss?
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 08:22:52 PM »
Originally posted by Redlegs
Can I get a serious answer someone?

You're the kind that requires something more simple than the invisible clues so invisibly invisible in this thread, aret'cha?

ESKIMO! Bwahahahahahaha! :D

p.s. Sometimes a Voss is just another Werner fan. Sometimes a banana is just a banana. A scorpion a scorpion. A CIA F-16 ninja sniper fighter pilot just another CIA F-16 ninja sniper fighter pilot. A vaporware scam a vaporware scam.