Author Topic: Connections  (Read 1241 times)

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Connections
« on: February 14, 2000, 11:57:00 PM »
Connections seem to be the latest cause of everybody losing a dogfight, (if you listen to channel 1 anyway  ). Seems every time someone gets shot down, it is because of the lag, warpiness, etc.

"Cable modems are the ONLY way to be competitive" I heard somebody say.

Have I missed something here, or is there wholesale ignorance among the customer base? Isn't a "quality" connection what you need any more? Can you not get the quality connection with a trusty 'ol USRobotics modem? I live in Alabama, use a USR modem, get average pings, and I don't see the dredded "warp" that is being talked about (except for the d4-d3 warp that is 'supposed' to be there.)

TT

Connections
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2000, 12:19:00 AM »
 Funny how the guys with good connex, never see a problem. My connex have SUCKED ever since this went pay.

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
Connections
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2000, 12:50:00 AM »
Might just be my imagination, but for me at least, the timing of the bad connections did coincide with pay for play.. BUT... at about this same time if memory serves, is when the damn DoS attacks were going on, and EVERYTHING was choking, for me at least.  AH connex were crap, but then so were my Quake (yes, I admit it..   ) and browsing speeds.  Other than some extremely bizarre frame rate drops last night, all has been pretty well here.  And before anyone asks for pity due to their type of connection, consider this.  I have a blast on AH (and even get some kills!) connecting on a 56k winmodem that only connects at 28.8 because I live so far out in the country.  Just call me datastream challenged.  Heh.. I feel fortunate.  Until I complained to the phone company 4 years ago, our neighborhood carrier lines were paper insulated lead line, dating back God only knows how long!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Connections
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2000, 01:01:00 AM »
Skorpyon,

I am  under the same circumstances (Even if I do live in the center of a town that is built around blue chip companies...) 56K modem connected at 31.2 maximum...
I DO have a blast on AH, I think poeple just have to understand the effect of "lag shooting", Lephturn has a good link on his site that explains it all...

I get killed a lot, but have the balls to admit that it's not lag...just that 99% of the guys in there are still better than me...  

(Struggling to get that K/D ratio AT LEAST above 1...)

------------------
Saw/Saintaw
BISHOP'S FINEST FLYING BRICK
Dweebs from Belgium

DCO 186th Wardogs (Falcon4 Squad)
 http://www.wardogs.org/
"Firepower Mate, that is what separates the men from the boys..."

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 02-15-2000).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline BigJim

• Zinc Member
Connections
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2000, 01:19:00 AM »
Hmmmm well all I know is that I have a US robotics and generally get 270 to 300 ms pings, sometimes worse when things are sticky,and it seems to me that I have alot of warping going on versus the guys that have DSL/cable connections.  I was not aware of the "normal" d4-d3 warp and don't understand why it has to be there but it sure makes things tuffer for sure. This I do know all of the guys are switching to cable/dsl as fast as it comes availiable and it seems to me anyway that they all claim improvements in gunnery and ACM????  I am not a techy so I don't know the ins and outs but my experience tells me that a guy with 50 ms pings will have some advantage over my 300 ms pings since my FE will get info slower than his will??? I know that it is my FE that counts on what I get but I bet things improve for me when I get the DSL/cable option in my town  

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Connections
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2000, 07:19:00 AM »

This I do know all of the guys are switching to cable/dsl as fast as it comes availiable and it seems to me anyway that they all claim improvements in gunnery and ACM???? I am not a techy so I don't know the ins and outs but my experience tells me that a guy with 50 ms pings will have some advantage over my 300 ms pings since my FE will get info slower than his will

I don't blame people for wanting a faster connection, that would greatly improve download time and whatnot, I wish cable was available where I live for this reason.

But to say that it provides improvements in gunnery is maybe a stretch, and saying it provides improvements in ACM is, well, you get the picture.  

I just have a hard time believing that a 150 ms better ping is gonna be everyones salvation. Sure, it can't hurt, but it won't make us all Aces overnight.  

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Connections
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2000, 07:30:00 AM »
Hi, my name is Kieren, and I have ISDN.

"Hi, Kieren"

I have seen both sides of this. I live in a rural area that receives very poor connect quality (24,000bps) on a v.90 modem (behind too many repeaters to get faster v.90 performance). I had access to 4 different ISP's that all gave the same results- lag.

I switched to ISDN and have seen much better results. To me, the improved speed reduces the amount that I have to "guess", that is, it lessens the amount I have to compensate for net lag. Planes are much closer to where I believe they are than in the past.

I still see nights where things lag a bit, and have nights where I disconnect frequently, but as has been posted, that is a function of DoS, not my ISDN.

Will cable help (assuming I can ever get it)? I'm betting it will.

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
Connections
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2000, 08:10:00 AM »
My conx was always unplayable after 6 pm (Finnish time).
Beacons, dumps, but after changed my ISP, no problems.
BTW, same thing happened in WB too...
My current ISP has won many tests and is fastest ISP in Finland.
It's pure roadkill as latest tests claims "Saunalahti" is fastest, that was my previous unplayable ISP.
"Kolumbus" rules ok  

DC

Connections
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2000, 08:22:00 AM »
I use a usr sportster 33.6 and I am happy to report that I have had little trouble connecting to this game. Having played aw where my delay was often in the 400 range. I am happy to have a game where I can actually hit a manuevering target. Perhaps we should make anyone who complains about their conn play aw with a 400 delay and maybe they will come back to ah and be grateful for the difference, At least for a little while anyway.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Connections
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2000, 08:32:00 AM »
BTW, anyone remember the IP address for HTC?

I am at work and don't have it here. I'm interested in seeing if the ping here is as good as I get at home.

Thanks

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Connections
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2000, 08:46:00 AM »

"Cable modems are the ONLY way to be competitive"

Bull-friggin-crap!

I have a cable modem on the Road Runner network and after a test I ran this weekend, I think I am going to drop the service.  Road Runner has problems with their external network gateway and as such I have been experiencing 10% packetloss on average.  This has resulted in numerous warps, disconnects, etc.

I just reopened my old Earthlink account and after running a ping to the servers found that after 50 pings during primetime, my packetloss was 0%!  My average pingtime was 165ms.  With cable my average ping was about 130ms but it varied from as low as 65ms on up to 250ms.  

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO YOUR CONNECT IS STABILITY!  Go for a low packetloss percentage and a low variance in ping times, then you will be happy.

Cable modems are not the end all be all saviour.

-Ding

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Connections
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2000, 09:32:00 AM »

Originally posted by hblair:
BTW, anyone remember the IP address for HTC?
<snip>

I recently have connected via cable modem.  My ping to HTC went from 200-240ms to 50-70ms.  I hit the MS test site at 816 kbits/sec.

The internet has been very bad this last week due to some "Sick Puppy Hacker(s)" intentionly flooding the byways.  That withstanding, I do notice some changes in the game from my new faster connection.  My old connection was a 56k modem and I usually connected at 49k to my ISP.

• The "Megga" warps, where many planes warp to one spot then warp back, has pretty much gone away.
  • Often "Rhythmic Mini" warps are prominent, lets say when I am less that 150 yards or closer on a planes six.  I can tell easily the connection speed of my oponent and if their connection is solid.  Very hard to track a target at times.
  • I see more "Square" corners now.  This is where the NME planes appears to go straight, turn very hard and then go straight again.  This really throws me off.
  • I don't win any more HO's than I used to, possibly less.  Less because, in essence the game has changed subtly for me and I am still adjusting to it.  Throws off my gunnery to some extent.
With my new faster connection it is no easier or no harder for me to be successful in the game.  It is indeed different and I am currently under a new learning curve.  I will say, that it is relatively new to me and if what I learn in the future changes I'll be sure to let you know.

Good Luck All!

Mino

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 02-15-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Connections
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2000, 09:37:00 AM »
Anyone remember the old AW days (Genie) when the excuse was C.J.O.M.K.? (Cat jumped on my keyboard..)

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~ XO
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Rip1~Warbirds~)

"In training, upon being told it was time to
solo, the instructor said, “You tried to kill
me enough times, now try it with a check pilot.”"

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
Connections
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2000, 09:43:00 AM »
Hi all,

with my 56k modem i get 350-380ms on average from germoney, mixed with 20% packed loss often and very seldom discos.
Although my conect don't seem to be one of the best ones , i must say that i enjoy AH very much and i don't see much warping.
Only probs i see is when im chasing the enemy at close range and he's maneuvering because their flightpath is a bit angular most times.
Would be nice to fly with 100ms just to see if theres a difference.

blitz

blitz

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
Connections
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2000, 09:49:00 AM »
Thanks for the IP, minotaur.
FWIW, I'm getting 150ms - 160ms ping from the shop. I get slightly better from at home.