Author Topic: Tri-color F4U-1C?  (Read 626 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Tri-color F4U-1C?
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »
Check this out:

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/f4u1csm_1.htm

He says the very first (and only the first) c-hog had a tri-color. However, he also said it wasn't operational.

Can any of you USN gurus confirm this? Is there any way we could have this skin in-game?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Tri-color F4U-1C?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:44:24 PM »
I'd like to see more Charlie skins, but unfortunately references of birds in active service seem few and far between.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Tri-color F4U-1C?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »
Two problems with this idea. First I suspect Skuzzy would not allow the skin as its a prototype. Second the C Hog is still using the old F4U shape, and you can't do a tri colour skin on it due to bugs too numerous to list.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tri-color F4U-1C?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:19:20 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Check this out:

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/f4u1csm_1.htm

He says the very first (and only the first) c-hog had a tri-color. However, he also said it wasn't operational.

Can any of you USN gurus confirm this? Is there any way we could have this skin in-game?

277 was the second F4U-1C and it was painted in tri-color, but it was also a test mule, never issued to a combat squadron.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Tri-color F4U-1C?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 08:44:58 AM »
Actually, I just realized....

As soon as the guns are moved over to the Dhog and added as a perk option, we'll be using all D-hog skins.

Won't that be a tad unhistorical?

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Tri-color F4U-1C?
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 02:05:31 PM »
According to that model site, the F4U-1C looks to be more like a converted F4U-1A rather than a converted -1D. The underside panels of the wing have more fabric than that of a D-hog and only 4x rocket tabs, suggesting it's a converted -1A airframe.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Tri-color F4U-1C?
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »
They WERE converted from 1A frames.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Tri-color F4U-1C?
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »
I know; I've had the notion in my head that everyone around here assumed it was a -1D conversion. I remember being told that by some one a while ago.

So it would make more sense to have the C-hog a -1A perk rather than a -D-hog perk.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.