Author Topic: X52  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Wing19

• Zinc Member
      • SkyKnight Bomber Group Base
X52
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 02:50:57 PM »
I was playing AH for about two weeks with the X52 joystick with out any problems until then last night. I started getting nose bounce and tower bounce, after about three hours and accidentally deleting my joystick profile I found by using the calibrating axis in AH for the analog inputs it solved the problem.

Hope this helps
SKWing19

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 04:43:35 PM »
With the X52 is the difference between the pro and the normal one worth the difference in price for AH? Do you actually use the extra features?

Also if you get it and don't like it, can you use the throttle control separate with another stick? Does the throttle and joystick use separate USB connectors or are they built together?

My SW FF2 is on the raggedy edge and I know I need to do something soon as I think it has limited life span left.

I'm still debating if I want to buy the x52 or stick with the tried and tested SW FF2 and pick one up online. Something about the looks of that spring set up bugs me with the X52.
"strafing"

Offline iaqmya

• Copper Member
X52
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 05:49:17 PM »
Mine i set up so the only think I use the keyboard for is landing gear, kneepad and typing ;)

It's great :)

I use both the ingame programing as well as the beta
SST programining.  Gets real interesing using three radio vox channels using mode 2 :)

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
X52
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 06:28:47 PM »
Something about the looks of that spring set up bugs me with the X52.

It should - it turns what would otherwise be a pretty decent stick into a PoS when it comes to combat sim flying (IMO, ymmv.)

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
X52
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
A couple of zip ties and some careful scaling help, but yeah, you're tweaking a brand new setup, which shouldn't be necessary.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 07:23:45 PM »
Originally posted by Ghastly
It should - it turns what would otherwise be a pretty decent stick into a PoS when it comes to combat sim flying (IMO, ymmv.)

Yea that's what I'm kind of scared of. The stick and all the options look great, but then they screw the whole thing up with some lame "spring" set up for resistance.

I had a Satek Cyborg stick before I bought my SW FF and it broke with in a few weeks of playing Mechwarriors 2 back in the day. So I've always been skeptical of Satek since then. Granted the one I had was a fairly cheap stick.  

Can anyone answer if the throttle can be used separately if I don't like the stick? Could I pair up that throttle with say a SW FF2?

In reality I wish there was a really good dual throttle set up so you could take advantage of using both engines in a p38,mossy or 110.
"strafing"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by crockett
In reality I wish there was a really good dual throttle set up so you could take advantage of using both engines in a p38,mossy or 110.

There are. I think the CH Yoke has four throttles. :D There are a few people here who have multiple throttles; they say there isn't any real gain.

You could always map rudder pedals to two throttles if you got really creative...
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline eh

• Copper Member
X52
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »
Thanks, crockett Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada :(
I will try to find someone who does. If I can't get one, I will set up an old one and use my Saitek gamepad for views, or use track IR with it (kermit's solution). Both of my old MS sticks have the right hatswitch view porked, and one of them also has a trigger that doesn't work all the time. Even then, they are both superior to this PoS.

Ii understand the X45 is better as far as feel goes, but the rocker switch rudder on the throttle doesn't appeal much.

Gosth ... SHE'S A KEEPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     :aok

BTW: the X52 is so EASY to get up and running in AH. You don't even need the SST software... doing it all in game works the best, and there are so many buttons that you really don't need all that Mode 1 2 or 3 stuff. Still, that nosebounce is wicked.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:57:50 PM by eh »

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
X52
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »
Originally posted by eh
but the rocker switch rudder on the throttle doesn't appeal much

Better than my X52 with the one-way potentiometer in the rudder.  :lol
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
X52
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 12:17:06 AM »
Crocket, the connector is proprietary, and connects only to the X52, so the answer is yes and no...
Yes in that you can use the throttle and just shove the stick behind the desk and ignore it and use a different stick, but no in that you can't connect it to the computer directly, you have to attach the X52 stick.  

I did just that for about a year - used the throttle from my Saitek, my MSFF2, with Verio Simpeds wired to MSFF2 rudder Axis.

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
X52
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »
Ok toss in the X52 pro and lets see what everyone (other the CH guy's) have to say :)  

For my money the Pro offers a leap in performance by design that the X52 guy's might find hard to relate to.  And yes latched is the only way to go :)

MGD

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 01:01:54 AM »
i like what i see from Saitek website but whats the big diffrence in the X52 and the X52 Pro?

right now i use the Aviator. nice stick and all but want to get back to my Throttle.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
X52
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 01:43:25 AM »
Aside from a few modest design mods (mostly superficial) and the additional functionality possible with the throttle display (which I totally have no use for), the most significant change was supposed to be a different and improved type of contacts that would make the Pro more durable.

Having gone thru seven (yes I said 7), X52's in just over two years, I purchased the Pro hoping the promised improvement would pan out.  It didn't.  Three months of use and it's sitting (with a couple of the older X52's) waiting for me to ship it back to Saitek for replacement.  I've had one actually replaced by Saitek.  It's the one I'm using now and it's porked as well.

Aside from my very first X52 (which went 10 months), I have yet for ANY other X52 last longer than 3 months (and ofetn much less) before becoming unplayable.

Under regular circumstances I would never buy from such a company after the third defective product.  However, I'm caught by circumstances in that when it works, I love using the stick.  I can't use CH because I am physicall unable to use rudder pedals, so need a twisty stick.  And finally, I haven't found any other manufacture's product that works better AND that I enjoy using.

I simply have to get off the dime and start rotating my stock of X52's back to Saitek for replacement, unless someone has a better suggestion.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
X52
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 01:54:42 AM »
The simple advantage with the Pro vs the run of the mill X52 is the metal collar at the base of the stick.  The X52 has a plastic collar resting on a plastic ring.  This caused a bunch of friction and thus jerky movement when the stick was moved.  The Pro eliminated this x2 with the addition of a metal on plastic connection for smooth action & allowing greater spring strength for return to center feel by adding a second spring.

MGD

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
X52
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 02:31:04 AM »
how long has the pro lasted you????

anyone else having this issue with their X52. i dont want to spend 130-180 dollars on a stick and throttle only to have it go out in 3 months.

and no i dont like the CH products
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey